Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 3, 2017
I absolutely LOVED these books as a kid! My one star review is because of the poor quality of the binding. As a third grade teacher, I wanted to share my love for these books, but after one or two readings by my kids, pages were falling out all over the place, and the binding had split in several places on all the books. I treasure my classroom books, and my students are taught how to handle books appropriately, so it wasn't a case of user error- especially when it happened to every book in this set (and the other set I ordered). I tried to tape the pages, but it was a lost cause. I'm so disappointed, not to mention frustrated because I spend my OWN money on my classroom library.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2018
The book pages numbers are off and the copy was off centred, so my children were unable to finish the story. I am quite displeased, the as the story seems to be quite interesting for the children. Extremely disappointed.
review imagereview imagereview image
on June 20, 2017
Just got this set in the mail today. My son spent 30 minutes reading the 1st book and half the pages have already fallen out. It's a shame because he really enjoyed the stories. Terribly bound. Don't waste your time with this.
review image
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 21, 2015
The Choose Your Own Adventure set of four complete books, with black and white illustrations, by R.A. Montgomery comes in a nicely boxed set which will be adored by any child, especially in the age range of around 8-12.
There are plenty more of these great adventures, which have been reissued to delight a whole new generation of kids. This set comes with
The Abominable Snowman, Journey Under the Sea, Space and Beyond, and The Lost Jewels of Nabooti. All of the books are written by R.A. Montgomery.
This dramatic admonishment which leads off each book: "Beware and Warning! This book is different from other books. You and you alone are in charge of what happens in this story." This serves to add to the anticipation for the child reading.Each book abounds with different choices at every turn for the reader. What he or she does next determines another set of choices, and so on. When you come to an impasse in your adventure, it is very empowering to be able to choose which page to read next. You are, in fact, in charge!
For example, I read "The Lost Jewels of Nabooti" all the way through. I made some very poor choices which led to my premature death around four times, in different ways. It is actually not scary when you die or lose, within the plot in each book. For a child of the appropriate age (and for me) it is, rather, very amusing and at times totally funny. After you have killed yourself off or blown it in another way, you simply go back to the beginning, or back to where you left off, and try another choice of which page to turn to next.
It is quite ingenious and loads of fun. I was very glad and filled with pride when I was able to return the jewels to the Nabooti Tribe on the shores of Lake Chad. Alternate endings are plentiful. They have you giving up the search and going home, or smashing your boat with all hands lost at sea, or ending up in Paris as you receive a message from your cousins that all is well. These books can be read over and over because of the alternate choices which can be made by each child. Although the illustrations are in black and white, they are appealing and add to whichever book is being read.
Reading was my greatest love as a child. I would have adored these books. It is this sort of adventure within a book which encourages a child's desire to read more. The appeal of being able to create your own destiny has wonderful allure for anyone of any age. The Choose Your Own Adventure series doesn't take itself too seriously and yet it is first rate enjoyment. The outer case says,"A Gamer's Mind Starts with Choose Your Own Adventure..." As I have plenty of experience with gamers, because of my own children, I can understand what this means. When you are a gamer, it is all about fast thinking and choices. This kind of thinking is encouraged by Choose Your Own Adventure books. This set would make a great holiday gift, or birthday gift, for any girl or boy. It is a blast and a wonderful way to spend some quiet time, something no child seems to have enough of these days. Recommended!
on September 8, 2010
They have had them for a couple of weeks and they are still reading them. I read to them a couple of times and the books are enjoyable. The only problem I have with them is that some of the options you chose end the story too quickly. In some cases, you only read about 3 or 4 pages and the whole thing is over in just a couple of minutes. But if they make the right choices, the story can last somewhat longer so they get more reading time. I would like to see this type of idea in a novel that would take days to complete and would develop their decisions more. But these are entertaining books for younger readers.
22 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 6, 2017
I purchased Books 1-8. I read them all when I was a kid and decided to share the mystical and magical reading adventure with my kiddos who are in 3rd and 4th Grade. They are currently reading the books and are filled with much excitement at the endless possibilities that awaits them.
review image
on November 13, 2017
The second book in the pack had a section of pages in the middle that were upside down. It was also missing 11 pages and 11 pages were printed twice (but upside down). The story said to turn to page 30, but there was no page 30, it was in the section of missing pages. My son was unable to follow along to the story and read it! I've never received a book that was so horribly printed! Returning it for a refund!
on May 10, 2017
Loved this as a kid. Love them now as my Daughter and I read them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2016
Still fun books, but I have to take issue with the illustrations. The artwork in these books is painfully inconsistent and usually just plain awful. Definitely not the same as the fun and quirky illustrations in the original editions. My 6 year old enjoys them all the same, but in the future I'm going to be buying used copies from ebay.
on March 5, 2017
A sense of nostalgia. These are simply the best.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse