Truck Season Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno  Echo

About Time: 12 Short Stories
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 13, 2016
I hadn't recognized the author's name and, essentially, dove into this collection not knowing anything about the contents other than that they were all centered around the premise of time Travel (TT). I'm a huge TT fan, so this was a no-brainer choice.

I was rather surprised at the tone of the stories. They were all, how can I say, rather light and gentle. Whimsical and slightly humorous at times. If you excuse the irony, they were quite dated, and I thought, "I haven't read anything like this since I was a kid..." I checked to see when the stories were first published and the dates of 1957 etc. put everything into perspective.

As a previous reviewer remarked, I could also easily see how many of these stories were exactly on par with many vintage Twilight Zone episodes; same vibe, same pace. Which is certainly not a bad thing.

The current price is $12.99 and, if I'd paid that much for it, I'd have been very disappointed. However, I bought my kindle e-book for a few dollars on a special offer which seems reasonable to me.
on November 29, 2016
I enjoyed this collection of stories. What I liked best is the fact that's it's not full of dramatic special effects such as alien monsters, battles between fleets of space ships, and things like that. It's much more subtle than that. For example, in one story, the protagonist wasn't sure if his next door neighbor was a time traveler from the future, or just an ordinary guy. He would do odd things like walking into a door expecting it to open by itself. But nothing happened that could be considered definitive proof. Jack Finney is the same author who wrote "Somewhere in Time", by the way.
One person found this helpful
on March 3, 2015
I thought I had read all the old SF authors but I have to admit I was not familiar with Finney's work. He had a great gift for descriptive writing, I love it when the author can make the scene unfold in my minds eye. While I would not call these stories strictly SF (more like Fantasy, or maybe very soft SF) they are definitely entertaining time-travel stories. As someone else mentioned, the stories are like something you would see on "The Twilight Zone", and in fact some of his stories were adapted for it. I enjoyed these very much and will read more by him.
on June 3, 2013
OK, so single-author collections are often problematic; we often find ourselves questioning their raisons d'être, as it were. But sometimes the raison isn't only to capitalize on the fact that the author has successfully published a bunch of random stories in a bunch of different places. Finney's _About Time_ exists because his stories on a rather specific topic really are good and actually fit well together -- like the Martian Chronicles or Choice Cuts. Strongly recommended if you happen to like time-travel stories (and don't mind un-hard sci-fi) and short stories.
on November 30, 2013
I read "The Third Level" many years ago and was happy when I found this collection of Jack Finney's short stories. Each of them is enjoyable and just right for my reading before bedtime.

If you liked The Twilight Zone's "A Short Stop at Willoughby" or "Walking Distance" episodes, you'll like "The Third Level," "I Love Galesburg in the Springtime" and other of these time-traveling delights.
One person found this helpful
on February 5, 2018
Jack Finney always makes me question time, life and the myriad possibilities. Thoroughly enjoyed this. If you've yet to read Time And Again- grab it without delay!!
on July 18, 2017
Short stories by the master of the genre. All great reads. Great characters and delightful storytelling.
on April 2, 2018
Been looking for this book to come out in Kindle format. Love these stories!
on September 18, 2017
Some of the stories were down trite, but the three that were very good makes the book well worth while.
on September 3, 2017
These stories might not be for those looking for a trendy, hip read but for those with a varied taste in literature Jack Finney is as good as they get.