Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 1,602 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,015 reviews
on January 11, 2017
This was a good action horror, definitely something that could appeal to the goth community. I think they could have done better especially in the acting department. The tie ins with reality and fiction is really interesting. Taking elements of actual history and fit it in with the fictional narrative they have going on. Give it a try it's got lots of action it and it's not boring.
on April 26, 2017
Loved the movie, loved the book. Check out both, for there are extreme differences. But BOTH are good! This one's staying in my collection to watch over and over and the book stays in my kindle favorites.
on March 3, 2015
I think if you liked Army of Darkness, you will like this film.

Also of note, the "Digital Copy" to be redeemed on UltraViolet was expired for me. I called Amazon customer service 3 times and every time they said they'd replace my purchase with a copy that had a correct expiration date, and every time they failed to do so. In the end a nice rep told me they'd just refund me and let me keep the copy. I didn't want my money back, I wanted the digital copy, but since they couldn't do it, I at least wanted them to forward this on to the proper department. Unfortunately they forwarded to the wrong department, so you may very well be receiving an expired redemption code with this purchase.

The good news: I emailed Fox or Sony or whoever it was and after one full month they got back to me and provided a valid redemption code for Ultra Violet. So if having an online digital copy is of value to you, I suggest you do the same.
on November 13, 2012
Alright, this is not a great movie. Look at the title. If you were expecting Citizen Kane, you'll be disappointed. This is a fine piece of entertainment though. A rather silly movie that proves to just be a fun watch. It's far from perfect and I certainly do have complaints. I think the movie takes itself too seriously. It could have probably used a bit more comedy as I found it impossible to take the plot as serious as the filmmakers seemed to. I have not read the book on which this is based, so I do not know if there was a similar tone there, but I just felt that it could use a little more of a satirical touch. That said, it's still an entertaining if uneven movie.

The fight scenes in the movie range from somewhat ridiculous (the horseback fight) to extremely entertaining (the train). Some of the ideas seem pretty clever, and I particularly liked Abe's first fight with a vampire. All of the cast members do a decent to good job, with some performances actually being fairly effective.

Technical aspects: The blu-ray looks okay. Maybe I've been spoiled by really good looking movies recently (such as Brave) but this one seemed to be an average Blu-ray release. Better than DVD but not the film to show off your home theater system with. The 3D is acceptable, again not the best but there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

Special features are rather basic with a trailer, music video and documentary. The most interesting feature is probably the commentary with writer Grahame-Smith, who ranges from very interesting (discussing Lincoln's actual life as a sort of superhero origin story) to rather dull (just describing the events you see on screen). Rather a mixed bag there.

Would I recommend this movie? That would really depend. I found it entertaining, I had fun with it, but those looking for a movie with more comedy may be disappointed, as would film goers looking for an actually scary movie. This is just entertainment, not of the highest order, but an amusing diversion. If this sounds like something you would enjoy, you'll probably like it.
on April 17, 2015
Packaging says 3D Blu Rays. But inside are the 2D Blu Ray versions of both movies. Shipper should be made aware of the error.
on December 28, 2013
Great product. I saw this movie in the theatres with my husband and step-daughter. The action scenes were awesome. I was also surprised at how well developed the story was. We bought this, and I would say we have watched it upwards of 15 times. I enjoy watching movies over and over again, as does my husband. I love the colors in the entire movie, everything is so vibrant. Great story line too. Lincoln fights slavery and VAMPIRES... probably why in my opinion he is the best president ever (I'm aware this is a work of fiction).
on November 10, 2012
My first encounter with one of the new "paranormal speculative fiction" historical novels was to screech to a halt in a bookstore and threaten to shout bloody murder. The very idea of Queen Victoria slaying werewolves or Abraham Lincoln taking after vampires offends my very historical-based sensibilities. Imagine my surprise therefore to take a chance on this big-screen adaptation of the novel and actually enjoy it.

What unfolds over two hours is a movie of more charm than I anticipated, particularly in its delightful depiction of the introduction and courtship of Abe and Mary. Immense changes were made from the novel, which disappoints book fans, but as someone who hasn't read the book, didn't prove problematic. Some of the action scenes are truly jaw-dropping, even if they go in for a touch of the macabre and absurd (one vampire hurtles a horse at Abe, who then promptly rides it in pursuit). The costuming is beautiful, as is the terrific cast, made up of little-known (and some, not so little known) actors. It's an interesting take on "alternative history," with style.

Reading reviews, particularly from more conservative sources, I anticipated the film to be bloodier than it really was... either the black blood of vampires doesn't seem as gruesome as most R-rated action films or the stylized manner of shooting the piece diminishes it, because it didn't turn my stomach. It's true that there isn't much characterization, and it almost seems clichéd to turn a champion of the enslaved into a vampire hunter (the metaphor is evident) but it's something different from what we've seen before, and it may (however indirectly) encourage audiences to read up on the real man, who was far more magnificent than this one, if not as downright cool.
on October 24, 2012
Here is a fact which to this day is strange
The original tomb was in constant need of repair and deteriorated significantly due to construction on unsuitable soil. In 1900, a complete reconstruction of Lincoln's tomb was undertaken, and the Lincolns' remains were exhumed, before Lincoln was finally placed back in the white marble sarcophagus that Mullen and Hughes had opened so easily in 1876.[8] In April 25, 1901, upon completion of the reconstruction, Robert Todd Lincoln visited the tomb. He was unhappy with the disposition of his father's remains and decided that it was necessary to build a permanent crypt for his father. Lincoln's coffin would be placed in a steel cage 10 feet (3.0 m) deep and encased in concrete in the floor of the tomb. On September 26, 1901, Lincoln's body was exhumed so that it could be re-interred in the newly built crypt. However, those present (a total of 23 people) feared that his body might have been stolen in the intervening years, so they decided to open the coffin and check.[10]

[edit] Last viewing

It was said that a harsh choking smell arose when the casket was opened. Lincoln was perfectly recognizable, even more than thirty years after his death. His face was a bronze color from the gunshot wound that shattered the bones in his face and damaged the tissue. The color was unhealed bruises. His hair, beard and mole were all perfectly preserved although his eyebrows were gone. His suit was covered with a yellow mold and his gloves had rotted on his hands. On his chest, they could see some bits of red fabric -- remnants of the American flag with which he was buried, which had by then disintegrated. It was theorized that Lincoln had been embalmed so many times on board his funeral train that he had been practically mummified
on October 31, 2015
"It mixes epic with mock epic really nicely." -Kevin Ross
"Its cool." -Spam Hayashida
"Makes me love America more." -Marcos Aulie
"hahahahaha. I am speechless." -Ian Koh
"I learned more about American history than four years of highschool." -Emily Hayashida
"I never knew a horse could be used that way!" -Ian Heisler
"I didn't know vampires were real!" -Tommy Gehrig
"The best movie everrrrrrr." -Spencer Camp
on November 16, 2012
Books are always vast compared to a film version, so it is often the case that movies fall short in a comparison (there are exceptions). It becomes almost impossible for a movie, however, when the source material is as vast as this story. That said Grahame-Smith does better than most in cutting the book (his own) down for the big screen, keeping in mind that the book was appealing (at least to me) because of the actual details of Lincolns life seen through the blood colored glasses of the vampire plot line, and that those grounding details which wove the far-out into the historical mostly got the axe (pun intended) ... and there is the rub. The acting was fine, the special effects were good to great, but the story, which made the book worth reading, takes the full force of the adaptation in the neck and is at risk of becoming, at best just another vampire movie, and at worst a silly joke. I don't think it ever sinks to the latter, but I am afraid it doesn't ever escape from being the former.