Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition Paperback – November 14, 2007
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
FreeBSDâthe powerful, flexible, and free Unix-like operating systemâis the preferred server for many enterprises. But it can be even trickier to use than either Unix or Linux, and harder still to master.
Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd Edition is your complete guide to FreeBSD, written by FreeBSD committer Michael W. Lucas. Lucas considers this completely revised and rewritten second edition of his landmark work to be his best work ever; a true product of his love for FreeBSD and the support of the FreeBSD community. Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd Edition covers installation, networking, security, network services, system performance, kernel tweaking, filesystems, SMP, upgrading, crash debugging, and much more, including coverage of how to:
- Use advanced security features like packet filtering, virtual machines, and host-based intrusion detection
- Build custom live FreeBSD CDs and bootable flash
- Manage network services and filesystems
- Use DNS and set up email, IMAP, web, and FTP services for both servers and clients
- Monitor your system with performance-testing and troubleshooting tools
- Run diskless systems
- Manage schedulers, remap shared libraries, and optimize your system for your hardware and your workload
- Build custom network appliances with embedded FreeBSD
- Implement redundant disks, even without special hardware
- Integrate FreeBSD-specific SNMP into your network management system.
Whether you're just getting started with FreeBSD or you've been using it for years, you'll find this book to be the definitive guide to FreeBSD that you've been waiting for.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I was harsh in my first reviewing. This is a good book written by a knowledgeable author but I am still cutting my teeth on FreeBSD and this is not a beginner's book. It has a lot of information but does require some intermediate knowledge of what is being discussed to get the most out of the book.
Many of the books I've read had more quantity than quality, but this is definitely the opposite. It has everything you need to get a basic server up and running, along with a few other things.
I found too interesting my Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition by, because all the contents helps me for improve my job and increase my knowledge.
Even, if is your case, and you handle FreeBSD very well... you will find many many surprises...
My only advice: discover Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition by, from Amazon.com and get the power of serve!!