The definitive guide to OpenBSD
Foreword by Henning Brauer, OpenBSD PF Developer
OpenBSD, the elegant, highly secure Unix-like operating system, is widely used as the basis for critical DNS servers, routers, firewalls, and more. This long-awaited second edition of Absolute OpenBSD maintains author Michael Lucas's trademark straightforward and practical approach that readers have enjoyed for years. You'll learn the intricacies of the platform, the technical details behind certain design decisions, and best practices, with bits of humor sprinkled throughout. This edition has been completely updated for OpenBSD 5.3, including new coverage of OpenBSD's boot system, security features like W^X and ProPolice, and advanced networking techniques.
You'll learn how to:
- Manage network traffic with VLANs, trunks, IPv6, and the PF packet filter
- Make software management quick and effective using the ports and packages system
- Give users only the access they need with groups, sudo, and chroots
- Configure OpenBSD's secure implementations of SNMP, DHCP, NTP, hardware sensors, and more
- Customize the installation and upgrade processes for your network and hardware, or build a custom OpenBSD release
Whether you're a new user looking for a complete introduction to OpenBSD or an experienced sysadmin looking for a refresher, Absolute OpenBSD, 2nd Edition will give you everything you need to master the intricacies of the world's most secure operating system.
"The definitive book on OpenBSD gets a long-overdue refresh."
-Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD Founder