Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Abu Garcia Amb Baitcast Reel, 17-Pound/325-Yard, Right Hand
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Size: 17-Pound/325-Yard|Hand Orientation: Right Hand|Change

on October 17, 2011
It was about forty years ago that I came into possesion of my first 7000. I got it through a VP at Garcia who was the older brother of my fishing buddy and best friend. We each (the three of us) bought one because they had just come out and thr VP swore these where the best reels in their price range and even higher. He was absolutely correct. I used it for surf casting, bridge and pier fishing and deep sea trolling including castng and retrieving for blues and jigging for weakfish. This reel really shined. You can use it for anything and everything, especially surf casting. I have about twelve reels but a 7000 is on order. In all honestly if you have a 7000 then it is all you really need, except for my ultra-lites which I hope to use for shad in the spring. Fishing for shad and snappers is beneath the 7000 but it would do the job if you needed it. With a 7000 you always have a second reel for any instance. I't's not cheap but will last a lifetime and does it all exceptionally well. What else can I say?
on September 1, 2013
Sir....I have had not only this reel, but a number of other, similar reels for many years....The drag systems DO require some maintainence!!!! The best thing you can do for extending the service life of your drag is to release the drag pressure when you are thru using the reel....DO NOT LEAVE the drag set when the reel in NOT in use!!! This will compress and "set" the washers/felt pads, so that they will not expand back to their original softness and usefullness and will become quite "tender" as you have noticed!!!
Back your drag completely off for a while and hopefully the condition will improve, or replace the drag washers and loosen the drag when not in use!!! I release the drags on EVERY reel I own, when ever they are not in use, even open-face spinning reels!!!
Regards,,
Jim
on July 28, 2013
I have four earlier-model 7000 reels that I use on my downrigger rods. These older reels have a push-button free spool control rather than the lever that the new style uses. They've been excellent for many years.

This new reel is heavier. I can live with that. What I can't live with is the poor drag. The usable range is only about 1/8-turn of the drag star. Once set the drag changes on its own - either tighter or looser based on some unknown whim. Not good.

The unit appears to be well-built, but the incredibly poor drag ruins it. I'm debating whether to keep it as a backup, or return it.

[edit] typo
on July 26, 2013
This is my second Abu Garcia. The 7001i that I received I hope is not made in Sweden because the quality control is very poor. The unit which you would expect to be a smooth casting, machined piece of art is actually a poorly assembled sharp sheet metal connected to a "pot metal" class frame. 1: the most dangerous part is what should be a continuous smooth weld connecting the outer round piece of metal with the outside edge. The weld is incomplete leaving the outer edge exposed and very sharp protruding metal right where your index finger may pass when adjusting the drag. 2: the inside of the reel is also rough. If this was an open reel and a fish took to the side your line would likely be frayed along the inside edge. 3: Reeling is not smooth. There is a flaw every rotation that is exposed as a thumping sound every turn of the reel. I have contacted Abu Garcia about the quality and will return it to Amazon if I don't here from them in 3 days. I'd post a picture of it if I could, but not sure if I can.

Fortunately Abu Garcia has contacted me back, however their customer support only answers emails starting around 5 PM CST and only replies once a day. They are consistent however. But it makes for a long process for correction to a problem.

I received my 5 PM email and they want me to send the reel in at my own expense so they can examine it. I sent them a picture which clearly shows the exposed danger of this reel. Im sorry, I will be returning this to Amazon.
on March 13, 2011
The Abu Garcia 7000i I purchased from Amazon is a great reel, can handel the Australian Fish.
Specialy the large Snapper that we catch here.
I'm more than happy to recommend this reel,it stands up to the great fighting fish.
on November 20, 2013
great reel. no problems with casting or retrieving. love it!! Good for salt water or freshwater. Able to bring in a 5ft alligator gar without problems.
on April 12, 2013
My friend bought the Abu Garcia 7000 ie with 3 bearings. When compared to this real it is much smoother. Is it worth another 50 bucks ? You will have to make that decision.
on August 20, 2014
GOT WHAT I PURCHASED & PACKAGED RIGHT
on August 14, 2014
Works as advertised, very happy
on August 8, 2014
Very happy with this reel, it works perfectly every time I use it and I use it often.