- Paperback: 160 pages
- Publisher: Scholastic Teaching Resources (Teaching; 48982nd edition (June 1, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0439930375
- ISBN-13: 978-0439930376
- Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.4 x 0.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,296,797 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction: Strategies for Closing the Achievement Gap for All Students 48982nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Featured education & teaching resources
Explore these featured titles, sponsored by Springer. Learn more
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the Back Cover
In Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction Nancy Akhavan provides a comprehensive guide to creating word-rich, print-infused classrooms for developing vocabularies that provide access to the core curriculum. Within powerful units that focus on conceptual vocabulary and span the school year, she presents strategies, graphic organizers, ready-to-use overhead transparencies, individual record sheets, and clear explanations of the current research that show why good instruction is central to students' word acquisition, which in turn is a major factor in closing the achievement gap and preparing students for future success.
To help you connect word learning to content units, Akhavan shows you how to:
* brainstorm words children already know that are connected to a theme or content area
* demonstrate how to think about words and how to remember word meanings
* teach explicit vocabulary lessons that center on new concepts and meanings
* encourage and support wide reading
* discover words, share them with the class, and invite students to do the same
* invite students to become word sleuths--to find words they want to learn, or discuss new word meanings and use
Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction is chock-full of explicit, engaging lessons that draw from children's literature and information-rich content area textbooks. It all adds up to a "book about words" that may well transform your students' learning lives.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?