Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 20, 2010
I'm really happy with my new purple Netbook. I have been using a full sized laptop for years and years, so this is a huge change for me. It will be nice to take this on vacation and other places vs. lugging around a 15" laptop. I like how the keyboard is almost full sized. My hubby and my daughter have had their Acer Aspire One's for over a year, it was time for me to get one.

I use Vista on my desktop, so, having Windows 7 starter was a little different in some respects, but, not many. Everyone else uses XP, so, once Windows 7 is on all of the computers in the house, we can network everything. I downloaded a program to change the wallpaper (you can see it here: [...]), removed all the virus protection and put on Avast, put my Microsoft Enterprise 2007 on it and I'm set. I browse with Firefox and have had no issues so far. I use Outlook 2007 for email and I use Word for letters and other things.

I'm really happy with my purchase. I like how Amazon had this computer offered with Amazon Prime, so I received it very quickly. The packaging was excellent. I did purchase this: Crucial 2GB 256Mx64PC2-5300 CT25664AC667 DDR2 200-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory for upgrading the memory, I haven't installed it yet. I probably will when I put on my iPod and all my music.

I also purchased this: Case Logic LNEO-10 Ultraportable Neoprene Notebook/iPad Sleeve (Black) and this: Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks (Dark Silver). Both are great and I love using the mouse!

I recommend this Netbook for college students, like my daughter, or for anyone that will need one for word processing, to browse the web or check email. It's so little and portable, anyone can and should get one. The price is great, I have paid three times as much for full sized laptops in the past.
5 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on January 21, 2010
I ordered this on the 16th and although S & H was free, I paid for it to be here on the 18th. It was and the extra S & H was worth it. I love this. I only purchased it to have something for when I'm on the go. The ONLY 2 complaints I have are about the battery and the fact that it runs pretty hot. I let it charge completely, while it was off. But when I go to turn it on, it'll say 100% but with only 6 hrs. remaining. But it doesn't really run out fast so it's not a big deal. As far as it running hot, it does, and fast. But a cooling fan will fix that. So again, no biggie. As far as it being slow, maybe I just got lucky because I haven't had that problem. The web is fast and when I go to open a regular program, it opens right up. The volume is just fine for me. I can have it in my living room and still hear it clearly in the kitchen. I absolutely love the display. Crystal clear and pristine. I also love how on start-up, it automatically found my home network. Guess that's what it meant when it said it was Wi-Fi certified because I went and spent 30 bucks on a Wireless Adapter and I don't need it now. The Windows 7 Starter is nice. Nothing to jump up & down about to me though. Also, the weight is just fine. A little is added with the battery attached but that's to be expected. And it's very sturdy. All-in-all, this is a GREAT netbook for regular and simple computer operations. I have a desktop that works just fine so this doesn't need to do too much for me.
19 people found this helpful
|1212 comments|Report abuse
on April 16, 2010
I ordered a blue Acer 532h netbook to travel with and that is what I doing with it right now. It works pretty well and it seems to be holding up against the gentle rigors of my easy paced travel. First, the dorky stuff.

Yes, the keyboard is small and it does take getting used to.

Yes, the glossy exterior doesn't hide any finger prints.

Yes, the battery does last between 6 and 8 hours.

I am planning to install Ubuntu Desktop (I don't care for the Netbook Remix) and I find that almost everything works perfectly with that OS. The only thing that doesn't work is the auto-detection of the removable media being inserted in the slot on the right hand side of the computer. If you know how to use "mount" in a terminal window then you can do it manually. This is a known bug and it has been logged.

Access to the HD and memory is simple enough. Upgrading the drive and memory shouldn't be a problem. Do a search for the Aspire One forums and there is plenty of information on how to do this.

The screen is very bright and I think the colors depiction is very nice. Using an external monitor you can get up to 1920x1080 resolution. The screen does not recline to be parallel with the netbook. This may or may not matter to anyone.

I don't use any of the touch pad gestures like tapping and scrolling. Some people complain about the touch pad not being segregated well enough from the case of the netbook but I think it's fine. The tiny raised ridges are enough for me.

The netbook doesn't get hot sitting on my lap. It is only mildly warm.

Get yourself an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse and you can have yourself a nice little desktop. My only gripe is that it doesn't have the ability to be docked like a traditional laptop. Then again, that's a knock against the class of device this is rather than the device it is.

It's a great little computer and I am enjoying the experience. A few things are kind of quirky to me. Then again, I am a quirky user. I'm sure most of everybody will give this a well deserved 5/5 rating. I'll fall back onto a 4 but don't let that discourage you.
7 people found this helpful
on March 19, 2012
I bought this for my son a couple years ago the same year I bought two other netbooks for my other children all different brands to avoid mixups and fighting. While none of my other two children have had issues it seems my son who owns this netbook always has something going on. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad computer but if you're using it more than a few minutes it gets extremely warm. All my kids are klutzy and all three netbooks have been dropped a time or two, this one is the only one that actually came apart when it was dropped from a relatively short distance as my son isn't very tall. The top panel near the hinge popped right off and while we were able to get it back on the computer no longer works without being plugged in to a wall socket. And after maybe two years I'm now searching for a replacement cord because the cord has some sort of short in it where it doesn't work. Unlike many laptops this cord isn't really easy to find. My daughters netbook is interchangeable with all the other laptop cords in the house, this one is only interchangeable with the cord on my other sons gateway laptop. That's the only reason we know the computer itself still works. I only hope I can find a new cord so he can use it again. These things might not be important when making a computer purchases, but I do know that a lot of people purchase this type of computer for children and aren't looking to replace it every couple years. If you're looking for a computer for your elementary age child buy a different one. It's durability isn't worth the money.
on July 13, 2010
Overall pleased with the performance and features of this netbook. Really like the multi-touch capabilities of the touchpad.
Tips:
*Did the RAM upgrade to 2gb. Very easy, even if you've never been 'under the hood' of a computer before. Just be sure to FIRMLY snap in the new memory. If it isn't working, the RAM may not be in far enough.

*Got rid of most of the bloatware that shipped with this product...aka, any software branded Acer, lol. (Sorry Acer, love my little netbook, but not your software.) Uninstall Programs under My Computer.

*Do a search for 'freeware for netbooks' on the internet. There are many lightweight, FREE products that will optimize your netbook experience. Word processors, antivirus programs, photo, media, etc.

Do not confuse a netbook for a desktop computer. Netbooks should be a secondary computer, or your 'walk-around' for the coffee-shop/around campus. They aren't designed or intended for great deals of streaming media and resource-hungry photo editing suites. Having said that, this netbook does handle my day-to-day needs with no problems--email, internet, watching YouTube, word processing, etc.

I see no need to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter. It handles everything that a netbook needs. (If you're really that upset about not being able to change your background, there is freeware for that, too, lol.)

Acer Aspire One--highly recommended. It has everything you need at a decent pricepoint.
|22 comments|Report abuse
on August 8, 2010
I barely had my netbook for 2 weeks until it started to shut down in the middle of use - no matter if I was playing a game or using IE or adjusting the monitor angle, etc. I only had Skype, an Amazon video game download, and Kindle for PC app on it. Everything worked fine and then one day after charging it overnight, it wouldn't turn on. So I plugged the unit back into the outlet and then it turned on. However, the battery indicator didn't recognize it's own status at that time. I was just trying to use Windows 7's Spider Solitaire, when it kept shutting down on me, I tried to eliminate possible variables that would make it do that but it happened 4 times within an hour and I gave up. Now it's just intermittently working but still shutting down on me.

What I do like about the unit (when it worked) is that it has a great LCD monitor, great speed, built-in webcam is better than my HP webcam, good mic, and speakers work great and it tells you how many hours of battery life it has left on it when unplugged.

I'll update my review after I troubleshoot with Acer.

**UPDATE** 9/18/2010
Once I've got it powered on again. I've narrowed it down to one of my left side USB ports is bad. Whenever I used it for my mouse or iPod it causes my netbook to be sensitive and shutdown at the slightest movement. I decided to take overseas anyway for 3 weeks because I love it otherwise and only shut down once while I was using Skype. There's other USB ports to use, so I'm not concerned about having one bad port and don't want to have to deal with returning and receiving another one. I'm going to keep it.
One person found this helpful
on February 23, 2010
I bought this netbook from Amazon and Recieved it superfast in 2 days. My Wife and I do a lot of travelling here and overseas. I am an airline employee so we travel stand-by. It is extremely necessary to be able to access the airline employee website to list for flights, checkin for flights and always have ready access the status of flights. We used to lug around a Dell 15" Inspiron and it was like an additional piece of luggage. With the current security checkpoint delays, "LESS IS MORE". This netbook is the perfect travel companion, weighs nothing and practically fits in her pocketbook. A neoprene sleeve and we are checkpoint ready.

I upgraded the RAM to 2GB using the Crucial Technology CT25664AC800 2GB 200-pin SODIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory Module. USE THIS IF YOU ARE RUNNING WINDOWS 7. This will not work with Windows XP.

Extremely happy with this Acer. I also looked at the ASUS 1001P (Intel Atom 450) but decided against it because it was not WiFi N capable.

5 STARS All the way.
4 people found this helpful
on October 3, 2010
The good:
1. Lightweight; so easy to travel with.
2. Aesthetically designed
3. Has a decent webcam, USB, VGA ports(to connect a monitor or a projector)
4. 1 GB RAM, 160 GB hard disk, and wireless Internet connectivity.

The Not-so-good:
1. A very slow machine. Things take long to load ( even though i uninstalled all the extra applications that come with a new computer ).
2. Gets hot quickly.
3. Screen size is 10.1 inches and resolution is not so high. So you can read a very limited number of text lines on one page.

Overall recommendation:
If you want a computer for basic tasks like checking email, weather, facebook and paying a bill, this machine is fine. If you are looking for anything more than that, you should go for something faster. If you already use a laptop or desktop, you will find this netbook slow. Not sure if its so slow because it runs Win 7 Starter and not Windows XP. I recommend reading other reviews too that compare Win7 Starter against Windows XP on netbooks.
on December 1, 2010
Product Review: Acer Aspire One Net Book

We purchased this next-generation Acer Aspire One Netbook as a replacement for an older Acer Aspire One. We were generally happy with the older version; except for a disturbing tendency for the point where the power adaptor cord plugged into the motherboard to melt. This happened to us twice. Each time we sent it back and received a new machine in exchange. The third time the Acer was no longer under warranty and we decided to upgrade to a new machine rather than paying for repairs on the old one.

One of the things we like about the Netbook is it's size; the compact size makes it ideal for taking on the road, my wife can even slip it into her bag (oversized purse) if needed. The screen and keyboard are smallish, but quite usable.

The new version comes with a longer lasting battery pack; about 8 hours on a charge. The one we got seems to be equipped with a spinning hard drive rather than the sold state drive the older one had. That may make it a bit less durable for traveling.

They seem to have improved the performance when the Netbook is powered by battery. The old one slowed down a LOT and the screen dimmed. Now I don't see much difference between the two modes.

They did change the hinge configuration to prevent finger pinching. And the power brick is smaller and a much better configuration for traveling.

This is also my first brush with Windows 7. I like it!

We've had our new Acer Aspire One Netbook for several weeks now and I have yet to have any problems with it. I sit in my easy chair every evening and use the Acer to read blogs, it's much easier to hold and balance than a full sized notebook computer. Only an Ipad would be any more convenient (and 3 times the cost!). I am being very careful with the power plug, but am hoping Acer has fixed that problem. If so, I have nothing at all to complain about and highly recommend this Netbook to anyone looking for a compact, portable computer.
on April 22, 2010
I like it as a second computer and bought it as such. It's for travel and carrying around the house. We also use it as a second kindle when more than one person wants to read something from the Kindle collection.

The memory upgrade to 2 Gigs is essential; otherwise its slowness is irritating. Without the extra memory, a Skype call to the grandchildren broke up often. I used it on a commuter train to listen to talk radio (with earphones, so as not to disturb other passengers) and that worked well.

The screen is too small for heavy duty spreadsheet use, although that application works, of course. The battery life is close to but less than the 8 hours advertised, but that's not a problem, at least for me.

I knew it's limitations when I bought it, but I bought it purely for it's portability. I am very happy with it and would recommend it and buy it a gain in similar circumstances.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.