Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 30, 2012
Very good option to consider if like me, you want a Windows 7 machine before they disappear from the marketplace, and you want a travel size notebook (11.6" screen is perfect for me) with a full keyboard, but don't want to shell out the bucks for the sleeker ultrabooks or settle for a Chromebook. Another key feature for me on this model is that it has a 6 cell battery which effectively allows me to use it most of the day untethered from the power cord. Very beefy Memory (4 GB) and Hard Drive (500 GB) for this price point, but one shortcoming is that the Processor is just adequate (listed as 1.00 GHz but really 1.37 - it would be better to have one 2.0 or higher.) It's fast enough for email, surfing the web, downloading music and e-books, watching You Tube videos, etc., but don't even think about gaming. The machine runs cool and quiet and the fan rarely comes on. Nice that it has an HDMI output so you can easily hook it up to a HD TV. A potential shortcoming is that it doesn't have a backlit keyboard - but the keyboard is easy to see in dim light and shouldn't be a problem unless you're completely in the dark. The touchpad is not half bad, but easy enough to add an external mouse (the mouse and touchpad can operate simultaneously, making it seamless to switch back and forth). Screen glare is about average, shouldn't be a problem for most unless you are in very harsh lighting. Stylewise it's OK, but certainly not a sexy choice compared to the touchpads or ultrabooks which are sleeker and about a pound lighter. Then again, you don't have to worry as much about this one getting swiped, and even if does get lost or stolen, at this price, it's not such a big deal. In any case, it suits my needs quite well, and I'm very glad to not be lugging my old laptop around with me anymore when I travel.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on July 7, 2012
I got this little laptop (netbook) for my birthday at the beginning of June. I can't say enough good things about it! It is a perfect size, lightweight for travel, has tons of memory, plays streaming movies and TV shows perfectly, and looks especially stylish with my Vera Bradley laptop skin to dress it up! My son has this model, too, and highly recommended it. He is a website designer and does all his website creating and maintaining on this Acer model. It stays quite cool on the bottom even after being on all day. The only negative I have encountered is that the sound is not good. However, I have solved that issue with a little $20 speaker (actually meant for iPhones and iPads!) that I attach to the earphone jack which makes the sound very loud and clear. I would recommend getting something like that if you want to hear anything without a headset. The sound is also fine through earbuds which I use when watching movies on it by myself. I also bought an external DVD drive for movies and downloads. Very very happy with this and am using it more than my desktop now.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on August 3, 2012
I've been using the Aspire exclusively for about a day or two, so if any of this goes south I'll update my review.

I had no problem booting up right out of the box and setting up Windows 7. As soon as the desktop loaded, my eyes widened after seeing the icons for all of the bloatware. I can't really blame them because they probably have deals with those companies to have their software on the netbook.

Anyway - things like en eBay app, Evernote, and loads of Acer features were just sitting in the programs list. I got rid of most of it within an hour. After that I used Ninite.com to install all of my usual apps - chrome, audacity, open office, skype, utorrent, and evernote (just looking at my task bar). Download went smooth with no WiFi problems. Installed smooth no problems.

For size and weight of this netbook I can say it packs a punch. You could probably get something bigger and better for a few hundred more, but I wanted small and sleek; even the ripple is nice.

I got used to the keyboard gradually. In the beginning I became frustrated, but I pushed through and was typing with little to no mistakes. As for the track pad, well the clickable buttons feel odd and too close to the edge of the chassis. Scrolling is fine, as well. Sometimes I do accidentally highlight things on a page because I like to keep my finger planted on the pad, but it's just a learning curve. This is very nit-picky and only relevant because I've owned a Macbook Pro - I don't care if you hate Apple, they got the track pad right.

On a final note as I end my rant I'm giving this netbook a 4/5 because of my nitpicks. It's a great device if you just want to surf the web, do some typing, or watch videos. Don't expect to play games unless they are barely using any resources. To give you an idea, it barely runs Minecraft on rock bottom settings. It runs, but with lag every 5-10 seconds. Okay I'll quit now.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 2, 2012
I bought this laptop only because of its increased 4 gb ram, as most other have only 2 gb. I had been searching for one with more than 2. This fits the bill perfectly, I have set it up with all my programs quite easily and I find it is fast and when I need to reboot it does so quickly. Excellent purchase and can recommend it.
UPDATE:
I am writing this December 22, 2012 and I have to say that although what I wrote when I bought it still applies, I have to say I very frequently get the "blue" screen, why I do not know. It then starts to repair itself and eventually restarts and is again normal. Why this happens I do not know.
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on May 24, 2013
I bought this to replace my 3-year-old 10" HP Mini after the Mini's screen bled to death (quick tip: don't juggle computers). I'm not a big fan of clunky laptops, particularly because I travel a lot with my computer and lug it to some crazy places, so I was wary of upgrading to a bigger screen. This 11.6" seemed like a decent compromise. I used my Mini as a primary computer, which is not at all recommended for a netbook, and the limited capabilities of the Mini had left me with the impression that small laptops in general were not capable of very much. So this little Acer blew me away. It makes for a good primary device (unless maybe you're looking to do a lot of gaming, as the 4GB RAM isn't exactly ideal for something like that).

I think that other reviewers have sufficiently covered most of the technical capabilities of this product, so I'll just skip to some of the points that I wanted to know before I bought it but weren't mentioned in other reviews:

- It's better than a netbook by a long shot. I already said that. It bears reiterating. Better storage, better software (complete software, that is -- no starters!), and not at all worse for the added inch of screen. It's still a tiny computer, so if you want something that's small, but still functional, this computer is perfect.

- The battery life is about 6 hours fully charged, but you can stretch that a little by doing obvious things like lowering the screen brightness, disabling the wi-fi, etc. That's shorter than a netbook, but I'm given to understand it's decent for a laptop.

- On that note, some reviewers complained about the hassle of adjusting the screen brightness because there's no button for it. There is a button for it. The volume and brightness controls are both on the arrow keys. Maybe I'm misinterpreting those reviews, but honest to God, I'm staring right at the brightness controls as we speak and I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating. They work well enough and the range of brightness is good. Volume's not bad, either, but it is a little quieter than my old computer.

- It occasionally freezes up a little bit while browsing the Internet, during which the keys and mouse do not respond. I'd normally blame the browser for that, but the same browser on other computers has never given me this issue, so I suspect it's the Acer. It's noticeable, but manageable, since it only lasts a few seconds.

- I don't remember there being a photo of the back of this laptop on Amazon, so I'll just give you a heads-up that there's this weird decorative ripple on the back. Like dropping a stone into a puddle of water. It's obviously there for decorative purposes, and it's very subtle, but it looks a little weird. I wonder who would design a computer and then think, "Hey, you know what this computer needs? This computer needs a ripple. Computers without ripples look cheap." Suffice to say, it looks a little cheap.

- There is no internal CD/DVD drive. This may or may not be a point of contention for you, but I think it's manageable, since external drives are relatively cheap and easy to carry with you.

- It's pretty light-weight. Yay!
on March 4, 2012
Now the unit was sent in conjunction with Amazon Prime's excellent shipping service so the package arrived in just under 24 hours from the date I purchased it.

This small laptop offers plenty for its price, but at its core it is far from a gaming rig. If you are in the shop for a gaming computer/laptop, stay away. However I bought this primarily to play second fiddle to a personal gaming laptop and it does its job quite well.

The small size offers amazing portability and allows less strain when walking extended distances with a laptop bag or the laptop in hand. The screen is nice and bright and the resolution fits it well. Coming in at just a max resolution of 1366x768, it offers a fairly adequate viewing size and it is sharp. When viewing text I noticed certain characters felt more vibrant than other laptops within this price range.

One other excellent feature on this computer is the battery life. It'll easily outlast the average school day for me. So for a college student looking for just a dependable set-up to do school work on, you can't do "too" much better.

The 1GHz AMD Fusion core pulls its weight, specially when trying to view content that is HD and requires more processing than usual.

Anyway to cut the review short, I would recommend it to anyone.
on September 18, 2012
So, it's been a couple weeks since i purchased this little dandy. I'd have to say I've been pleased. The 11.6'' size is perfect for what i want it for. 14 is too big and 10 is too small. I walk around school and i laugh at people who lug around their mammoth laptops. I already have a desktop for gaming, so having some awesome graphics card wasn't a big issue for me. I also noticed that the other highed end aspires were quicker but this one has GREAT battery life. it may not be the fastest thing on the earth, but it definitively gets the job done.

I'm not a fan of the glossy screen and cheap feeling keyboard; the latter being the lesser of my concerns. sometimes even in a brightly lit room i can see my reflection. I guess i'm getting used to the keyboard though. i don't HATE it, but i would have tried something different. Sometimes i really get going with my typing speed and my finger will end up catching on the end of the key...almost pulling it up.

i use this for the internet. plain and simple. i download s***, i look at s*** and i write s***. pretty simple. if you're wanting to do anymore, you may want to look elsewhere but i would highly recommend this guy.
on July 10, 2013
This Aspire One 722 had some compatibility issues when I downloaded the latest updates to Windows 7. But by buying a 3rd party software ("RegCurePro"), those problems were fixed. Then I ran into browser issues. But through trial and error, I downloaded (the free) "Java Runtime" software (not just the regular Java software), and those problems went away (on I.E.). Yes, as some others say, it's a little slower than expected with 4 Gb of RAM, but you just have to be a little patient. The size is perfect for carrying around, and it comes with a trial version of "MS Office" which surprisingly (after a month), hasn't expired yet. The battery usage is a little disappointing. I get a little over 3 hours use. But for the price...and now that most of the bugs are ironed out...I'm pleased with the purchase.
on January 27, 2012
This arrived quickly and in perfect condition and I took it on a trip shortly after. LOVE it! Small and easy to pack (it goes in my large purse) and has more than enough RAM and hard drive capacity. The battery life is more than adequate and it is responsive and very easy to use. I bought a wireless mouse to use with it but have found that the internal mouse works very well. They keyboard is advertised as 'full size' which it is - but it still takes a bit to get used to it as the keys are closer together than on most laptops. It's a little slow launching (I will have to do some reading for other ACER netbooks as I believe someone found a way to speed this up) - but I'm not in a big hurry most of the time. I would definitely recommend this netbook!
3 helpful votes
on March 2, 2013
I was able to put all of my data on the hard drive with plenty of room to spare, runs fast and has no trouble with programs like ArcMap 9.0 and CS2, so it is fine for me; downsides are the trackpad/pointer is a little erratic at times, it is very light so you can't open the lid without holding the other side down, the shiny surface shows off every fingerprint; even so, for the price, it does the job
4 helpful votes