Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 2, 2014
This is a great laptop-especially for the price! While it does not have an optical drive, I can't really say that I miss it (although there is a spot on the side where it looks like their should be one). The screen is nice and bright and the unit is pretty lightweight and is super-thin and the touch pad is very responsive. I had really never heard of a USB 3.0, however, it is really amazing at how fast it is! I transferred 1,700 pictures from an external hard drive and it only took a couple of minutes. I also like the fact that the exterior casing isn't the glossy plastic that shows fingerprints like crazy. The power cord also plugs into the back of the laptop as opposed to the side, which I consider a plus. Overall I am very happy with this purchase and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable computer.
88 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2014
Okay, I just gotta unleash a quick rant based on a few reviews I read on here about this PC:

Be a responsible buyer and READ the description of what's included to make sure you're buying something you really want. Too many complain about "oh, this didn't come with so-and-so, I'm so pissed off". If you read the info about the item, you probably wouldn't have a problem. That's why the seller takes the time to post what you need to know. Second, if you want a laptop that performs like a $10,000 laptop, then go out and BUY a $10,000 laptop rather than buying one for $250 and complaining about it for being cheap in reviews. I mean, common sense seems to be a lost skill in our society, it's a shame.

Now I feel better...moving on to my review!

I'm a college student and was looking for a cheap laptop to help me with school as well as other casual things like watching videos, emailing, and watching Netflix. I just received this recently and I'm already in love with it! The laptop is very lightweight and the perfect size. It's my first time using Windows 8 after years of using XP and Windows 7 so I'm still getting a feel for the software. All I needed was a computer that could handle my daily activities online, nothing fancy or overpriced and this Acer fits all my needs. You can't beat a laptop for under $250, it's a great deal!

A few quick things: There is only one numerical pad at the top, none on the side of the letters like other computers. There's also no CD drive so you'll have to buy an external drive, use a flash drive, or download certain programs you need. Other than that, this laptop is perfect and I'm glad I got it. If you need a standard entry-level laptop for casual to moderate use, you can't go wrong with this one.

BIG TIP as of 8/2/2014: I found a way to make the tiny sound speakers sound better! Go to the audio icon in the right-hand corner. LEFT-CLICK and go to PLAYBACK DEVICES. LEFT-CLICK on SPEAKERS and click on PROPERTIES. Go to ENHANCEMENTS tab and click box next to LOUDNESS EQUALIZATION. That should make the laptop sound much louder and fuller. Enjoy!
1111 comments| 365 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 4, 2014
Just a few words for this review. I have always been impressed with Acer computers. Build quality is an "A". Performance is good for what it is. The price.. nothing out there is better at this price. What I noticed mainly is the battery. The battery is built-in. You do not see it at all and can't change it unless you open up the laptop. Them being lipo batteries now, smaller and lighter, they have a longer life now and wont need changing for years to come. At this price, i'll deal with that. And the run time for this battery is also a mind blowing 6hrs on high performance settings. Most laptops only get 3hrs. Also this laptop is really thin! I love that. It has no optical drive but who really needs that theses days anyway. This saves weight as well as battery life. Just use a USB stick/hard drive to backup your Win8. So far i've found no negatives with this laptop. I love the rear ports as well. Most laptops force you to have everything sticking and poking out the sides. This laptop is perfect for net browsing, movies and light online games. Don't expect a $250 laptop ( my price ) to run full blown max graphic games. So in short, this Acer comes highly recommended by me. Buy it!
77 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 3, 2014
Use? Daily
Tech knowledge? Casual

Price ($250 as of this review)
Quality 15.6 inch screen
Feels sturdy/solid
The plastic casing doesn't have that glossy fingerprint hungry texture.
Laptop battery isn't exposed (my previous acer laptop had the battery exposed and that eventually cracked)
Good battery life
Powerplug (which plugs in from the back) has tight not remotely lose grip

No DVD drive
Keyboard lacks numberpad (the numbers above the alphabet keys ARE included though)
No keyboard lights (at this price it shouldn't be expected)
Earphone plug located on the back. You get used to it. Losing some wire length and feeling your way around trying to plug it in while in a dark room are slight downsides
Speakers have a muffled sound. Perfectly audible to me though.

I use this as a regular web-browsing laptop and and it works very well for that purpose. No cd drive and no included restoration discs means you might have to find away make your own restoration discs (Anyone more knowledgeable want to comment?)I regularly watch 720p youtube videos without issue. I haven't tried 1080p yet except for the new 60 frames per second videos youtube has had for a few weeks now (regular is 30 fps). 1080p 60 fps made the page unresponsive. Touchpad was difficult at first but you get used to it quick. I haven't played with the touchpad settings yet though I plan to so that I can setup the page scrolling. Lots of pre-installed apps to delete. I'll update this review at some point.

Ask me anything.

For anyone new to windows 8 you should follow the advise that other people told me. "just treat it like it's a new thing and try to give it a chance". This video put me at ease:
1616 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2014
There's better laptops out there, but this one is about the best one could hope for at the price I think. Running Windows 8.1 64bit with 4GB RAM (can be upgraded to 8GB at Crucial.com) provides for a nimble response perfect for browsing and streaming video. multitasks reasonably well. Plenty of connectivity is also a plus with its two full sized USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 ports along with an HDMI out and sd card slot. No optical drive - no big deal in my case. I have an external drive that suits just fine.

It's got a good feel to it - solid but lightweight. The matte finish is nice.

The 15.6" screen is okay - a bit fussy about how it's approached (angle is everything)and the resolution is somewhat lacking at 1366 X 768, but the color fidelity is good. Would have prefer more tweakability (limited video settings).

The keypad lacks separate numeric s, but I'm okay with that - I can't use a 10 key anyway and its lack makes for more spaciousness on the alpha side.

More bloatware than I would have liked - took too much time to uninstall it all, in my opinion, and was unnecessary in the first place (goodbye Bing and so long Wild Tangent!)

My favorite thing? You can disable the touchpad! (I hate touchpads...). I'm running a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse instead.
on March 15, 2015
It does what it is supposed to do. It is as fast as it should be, the screen is fine but I find it a little washed out. For the money you can't go wrong. I like the finger pad.

Update: I saw a little screw laying on the counter next to my laptop so I turned it over and looked and sure 'nuff, there was one missing so I got a screw driver and put it back in and checked the others. That's right, all loose. I'm just glad it fell out in front of me and not in transit somewhere so I didn't lose it.
Moral: Check the screws in the bottom of your machine and give them a little twist.

Update: Do not buy this computer. It is not at all worth the money. This machine has slowed down to a jumpy crawl and I have never had any malware on it. The screen has absolutely no contrast. I am suspect of the CPU, seems way under powered. You will not be happy with this computer if you want to use it for more than checking email.
on November 30, 2014
I have owned a couple Acers and have really liked them. I thought for sure I was going to get the same experience with this computer. I have had it for 2 weeks and immediately I was regretting my decision to buy this one. It is soooo painfully slow. It won't even load webpages half of the time, I get an error message about 90% of the time. Also, the mouse pad is horrible. It is in the way so when you are typing you accidentally bump it with your wrists it will delete everything you have typed. I also do not like how big it is or how there are no buttons on the bottom, you have to push the keypad. It is very difficult to get the mouse where you want it to go with that setup. I would avoid this computer at all costs, I wish I had listened to all the 1 star reviews and stayed away. Thankfully, Amazon has already issued a refund for the full amount of the computer so I can buy a different brand.
on December 15, 2014
I originally bought it for myself to replace an older netbook I have. I did not like this computer. Much of the time, the keys are not responsive and even have that "cheap" feeling when hitting them. Keep an eye on what you are typing, the characters you think might not be there. Much of it worked ok. I had trouble with it bring up websites and simple am not a fan of this version of Windows. To its credit the screen was great and many of the programs and apps work well. Overall it had a clumsy feel for my liking.

THE FIX === My 12 year old granddaughter needed a computer for school and personal use. Gave it to her and became a hero. She loves it. Yeah she notices the issues with the keyboard and the sometimes maddening slowness of the web browsing but for her it is great. This was her first new computer (not a hand me down). If you are used to higher quality laptops then stay with them. This will only disappoint you.
on December 5, 2016
I purchased this a while back while I was working overseas so I never get the chance to use it until I returned after a year and half. I realized the key pad doesn't work and I tried to connect it but it never worked. Since I had a mouse and it is a touch screen, I wasn't worried about it. I tired to update the software to get the key pad going but it rather gave me a fault on my computer and I lost everything on it. I bought a new hard drive and I got the same message. I took it to the shop and the guy realized the key pad was not connected and anytime he connects it, the computer won't start unless it is disconnected. So, I am sure they knew about it before selling it to me.
on November 7, 2014
Lightweight, screen is sharp, battery life is amazing, and feels like it is solid quality. I am very pleasantly surprised at Acer, as I am a first time user (I've always preferred Vaios and Toshibas) but I think I will be coming back again in the future. The lack of a CD/DVD doesn't really bother me, the only thing that gives me pause is that the battery is inside the casing so if I need to replace I will have to go in for it, but that also has the bonus of no accidental-releasing or getting loose. Sound quality is much better than expected, and I like that the plug in is in the back and not the side. The only complaint I have is the touchpad- I would like to have buttons for right and left clicking, as it is just easier for my hands to get used to.