Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 17, 2014
The reason I went with this computer is that it combines the best of older computers with the best of newer computers. What's that mean? It means no touchscreens. It means Windows 7. It means a CD/DVD drive. It means a VGA port. A little bit of old school... with a little bit of new school... very quick processor, an abundance of RAM, 2 USB 2.0 ports and a USB 3.0 port, and a pretty good build quality.

It's cheaper than most with it's specs, but it certainly doesn't feel that way. It's thin, but not flimsy. Keyboard responds well and the touchpad has had no issues at all. Battery is great.

The amount of Acer Bloatware that comes with the machine is a pain to remove, but that's to be expected in today's laptop market.

All in all, a very, very good machine at a very, very nice price.
55 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 22, 2014
This review is from: Acer Aspire V3-571-6844 15.6-Inch Laptop (Nightfall Gray) (Personal Computers)

I got mine today and struggled for two hours trying to get the Bluetooth to work but apparently according to another review here it does not have Bluetooth, it just has a program for it and you have to buy an adapter if you want Bluetooth. I'm puzzled about why they would advertise it with Bluetooth if it doesn't have it. And I'm puzzled about why it has a program for Bluetooth but no Bluetooth. None of this makes sense to me. I got this specifically because of the built in Bluetooth.

" With built-in Bluetooth® technology you can wirelessly connect to other Bluetooth-enabled devices such as phones, printers and speakers, eliminating the tangle of wires." That is a quote from the description here. It also states on the Acer webpage for this model it has Bluetooth.

I've searched the computer for any sign of having a Bluetooth component and except for seeing something called "Bluetooth Suite" in the program files, which does not even open or do anything, there is no Bluetooth anywhere in this computer.

I plugged a Bluetooth dongle into the USB port of this and it downloaded lots of software to go with it, giving me high hopes I could keep this computer with a dongle but alas; even though the dongle seemed to fully install, it would only recognize one of my devices and not any others, nor would it utilize the device it did recognize (headphones) to play music through them. I got an error message. There seems to be no way to use Bluetooth at all on this machine, in spite of giving the appearance of it when I installed a dongle. It's such a shame because otherwise it's a great computer.

The Microsoft user rating for this is a respectable 5.9. If you will never be needing bluetooth this is a good option for those who want Windows 7.

EDIT: 2/23/2013
I find now I can't stream videos with this. I get an error message, both on Amazon and Netflix. After spending hours trying to fix the Bluetooth issue, which apparently is unfixable, now this. Based on my experience with no Bluetooth and no way to even use a dongle for Bluetooth, and now being unable to stream videos, I cannot recommend this computer unfortunately. I am very good at fixing computer problems and never yet have had a computer I couldn't fix in 20 years until now. I have a smaller Acer Aspire which I love. I am quite disappointed.

edit: 2/24/2014
This morning I can stream videos with no error message appearing. I couldn't last night. I don't know what happened. But still no Bluetooth, either with or without a dongle attached.

*Fast and powerful
*Set up and use on the internet within minutes of unboxing
*Looks good
*DVD/CD drive
*responsive keyboard
*Good monitor

*Bluetooth not installed or working, would not even work after I installed my own Bluetooth dongle, error messages. First I got a numbered error code, and then a message that said "unknown error".

I've spent several hours over the Bluetooth issue. Sadly I must return this. Thank you Amazon for your easy return policy on computers. I love my other two year old Acer Aspire.
on April 25, 2014
I've just started using it this past week so I'm still getting used to the feel of the new keyboard. Everything seems fine so far except the keys are spaced a bit farther apart than I'm used to. I have to stretch to get to the backspace or return key which isn't conducive to smooth and fast typing (I use my 5th finger which is the norm). The most annoying thing which caused me to downgrade to 2 stars is the backspace key. I have to hit backspace *exactly* in the middle for it to work. If you hit it just to the left of center (which happens frequently because the keys are spaced further apart) nothing happens. So I find myself having to hit backspace multiple times for it to "click". This is extremely annoying as I'm used to typing quickly and having to stop and hit backspace multiple times is ridiculous. I don't consider myself to have small hands either and have never had this issue with other laptops. I don't have other issues so far. The price is very good for what you get, but I would have purchased something else if I'd known the backspace key would be so finicky.

Update: I've downgraded this to 1 star. As another reviewer has mentioned as well I've also developed a connectivity issue. Several times a day it will drop my internet connection. This is not acceptable. Would not recommend this computer to anyone regardless of the attractive price. Next time I'll pay more for a more reliable brand.
on May 5, 2014
I too had success in activating my Bluetooth by hitting Fn+F3. If that's the only way to activate it then perhaps that's poor design since a lot of people seem to be having trouble, but it worked for me.

I don't seem to be able to turn off the clicking on the trackpad, which is problematic because it's far too sensitive and is easily bumped while you're typing (why is it weirdly to the left where your wrist sits while typing?!). You can disable the entire trackpad easily, but that does not help me because I am a lazy person who likes to use her laptop on the couch sitting in whatever odd position is comfy, which is not conducive to using an external mouse. If anyone has solved this please leave me a comment, but an internet search showed that many people are annoyed by this problem but none had solved it. I took off one star for this.

Otherwise it runs well and I love it.
on February 2, 2015
For the price, this computer has been an excellent value. It is fast, the screen looks nice and I have experienced no technical issues in just less than a year of very heavy use for writing, internet and some lightweight photography applications. It plays video perfectly and can handle the huge number of tabs I find myself working with when doing research without slowing down much at all. I have not pushed it to the extreme with gaming or something like video editing, so I cannot speak to its ability to handle such processor-ntensive applications, but other than that it has handled just about anything I have ever thrown at it without fail.

There are a few minor issues that people might want to be aware of:

- my screen now has small scratch marks approximately 1/3 of the way down the screen from the line that separates the keyboard from the mouse pad area. I had originally kept the piece of packaging that came with it to protect the screen from this but I lost it and did not replace it. If you plan to toss this computer in a bag everyday, you will need something to put between the computer and the keyboard or it will probably scratch the screen.
- the mouse pad is very sensitive and on a few occasions it has moved the cursor while I was typing and thrown me off. The sensitivity can be adjusted and that will correct the issue.
- The battery life is not great. I generally work in places where I have access to external power so the four-hour battery life is rarely an issue, but this is a limitation.
- I like the 15.6 Inch screen and the large keyboard, but the trade-off comes in weight and portability. As someone who has to work on the run quite a bit, I go back and forth on whether the comfort I find when working on the this computer outweighs the burden of lugging it around.

I am definitely quite happy with this computer and would recommend it for anyone who needs a larger laptop for almost any use.
on February 6, 2014
I bought this laptop for my girlfriend. She needed a Windows 7 PC for certain programs she needed for college. Works amazing and it is very fast. The design is pretty neat and seems quite resistant.

Speed, display, design are pretty awesome. The only thing not that awesome is the sound, but most laptops within the price range don't have good internal speakers (but it comes with Dobly Sound Surround settings and you could use external speakers for amazing quality)

It also comes with many Acer softwares but you can remove those for even faster start up.

Also the delivery came faster than expected (in 2 days).

I am very happy with this purchase and my girlfriend is happy as well. I myself had an old Acer laptop (Windows XP times) and lasted for 8 years, and I almost never turned it off (everything still works, only need to replace Hard Drive) and that experience made me buy this Acer laptop because I know Acer has high quality products just as my old laptop and this one seems to be as good as my old one. And well Windows 8 is horrible, she wanted a Windows 7 laptop.
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 7, 2014
The screen resolution is good, it is fast and has windows 7 on it. I was able to do a work around to put windows mail on it so I am happy. Boot up is pretty quick and resume is even faster. I prefer the larger laptop because I like a bigger screen, it is still lightweight and not hard to carry around. I am enjoying this and plan to keep it for a long time. My son has an older Acer and he has had it about 4 years. He is rough on his computers too. The internet is really fast compared to my other laptops and it connects quickly. I have had no problems or blue screens with it yet. The dvd player is fast and that is another reason I like the larger laptops, I like having a dvd player/recorder included.
on March 21, 2014
This product has almost everything I have been looking for in a reasonably-priced laptop. I liked my V3-571-6844 so well that I bought a second one for My wife. I wanted a good backlit keyboard, so I purchased a well-known brand wireless, illuminated one, along with a wireless mouse and paired them with the Acer. That was close enough to perfection for me. It comes with Windows 7, which is the best I have seen. Windows 8 just does not appeal to me.

When I had a question, I contacted Acer Support and chatted with a rep who was quite helpful and answered my question promptly. It is true that the User-info about this computer is lacking in detail and thoroughness. Many manufacturers just do not want to take the time, nor incur the expense to provide good user-manuals for their complex equipment.

BLUETOOTH: For those seeking to enable this laptop's Bluetooth function, try pressing Fn-F3, which allows the toggle-on/off of both its Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities. The Bluetooth feature works perfectly for me, no external dongle needed.

In summary, unless you want to spend a lot more money for a laptop, the 6844 is the one to buy. It has the most bang for your bucks that I have found.
on April 14, 2014
Great so far.Light enough Nice picture.The sound quality is good but could have a little more depth and volume.Probably earbuds or something might be of better use with a laptop for wife types 55 words a minute and says the keyboard is top notch.She loves it.570 dollars great value.It is very fast.Start up is probably average but there might be to much crapware on it now its new.
Pros.Thin.Light.Picture. Keyboard. number pad.Speed.Style is great.Nice and fast.Nice out of box experience.Value .Track pad better than lenovo.Has all the bells and whistles.Seems solid well built but not bulky.
Cons.For music not alot of punch but nice little sound bar on it and good range. Of course a few fingerprints.Big deal
on April 26, 2014
I don't know if I just got a "dud", but this machine crashed and went to blank screen either every day or every other day. I was really disappointed as I had previously has an Acer for 10 years and was happy......not this time. When I talked to the "help" line I was not very happy. They wanted me to return the machine and I wouldn't have gotten it back for several weeks. I ended up getting another machine and having to pay someone all over again to help me transfer all my information and fix up my desktop like I wanted. All in all was NOT a good experience and I returned the computer for a refund. I hope other people have had a better experience. I wouldn't order a computer online again........nowhere to take it and get it back right away if something goes wrong.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.