Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 13, 2013
I have an Acer C720 ($199) and an Acer C720P ($299) and both are amazing machines. If you dont mind plunking down the extra $100 for the touchscreen then go for it but really you will do fine without it and save yourself $100 especially if you are buying these as gifts like I did for others in my family.

Here is a list of the APPS I use on both and it runs them fast and flawlessly:
Facebook, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Chrome Remote Desktop (flawlessly connects to my Windows 7 laptop and I can run any windows program remotely with ease and flawlessly connects to my Office Desktop and I can access all my office records which is key since i am a family doc), Google Cloud Print (easily prints documents to all the printers i have set up), MyBible, Kindle, Twitter, Hootsuite, Weatherbug, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, Google+ photos (automatically puts all my photos taken on my Iphone over to my chromebook), RUNS ALL WEBSITES INCLUDING BANKING WEBSITES and my mobile hospital app FLAWLESSLY WITH CHROME (including adobe flash player sites which my Ipad and Iphone still wont run)

The only CONS i can find so far are no SKYPE app.....If you want to do video calls then need to use GOOGLE HANGOUTS which is much less intuitive than skype....and you CANNOT hook a printer directly to a chromebook but you can use google cloud print to print easily...needs wifi connection to do most things (this is really not a problem for me as i am always connected and they have developed a number of apps that work when not connected including document writer and email offline

Battery Life Amazing! almost 8hrs of use!
Touchscreen good but not like an Ipad (can't use your fingers to zoom in with pinch)
Touchpad very good! (and really dont need the touchscreen because touchpad works so good)
Keyboard very solid,
Can use any wireless mouse with it. (Ipad still cant utilize a mouse)
Screen brightness great.
Sound adequate but a bit tinny
USB port charges devices and can use flash drives to move and transfer files (another thing I still cant do with my Ipad)
2 years free of 100GB Google Drive (this saves you $120 right there)
12 free wifi passes while on planes (i dont fly much but still a nice convenience and saves you the $10 or so connection fee)
Free virus protection

All in all a great economical way to access the internet with ease and lightning speed and do 95% of what most people use a personal computer for this day and age.
4747 comments| 1,724 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2013
First, the hardware.

I have two Macbook Pro machines (a 2009 and a 2010 model), so I have relatively high standards. This is not Apple quality, but it is superior to most cheap Windows machines and far superior to netbook machines.

The overall build is 4-star. The keyboard is decent, and short of being backlit, it is almost on-par with Apple's chicklet keyboard. Vs Apple's chicklet keyboard, it has slightly less travel and a different texture, but it is very usable.

The machine itself is solid: it doesn't flex and creak like most cheap machines. It is quite rigid and feels solid for a plastic notebook. It isn't as ugly as photos lead you to believe.

The trackpad is nice. It is not as flawless as an Apple trackpad, but is responsive and works well. It supports two-finger scrolling (windows-style or "natural"). It also supports navigating forward and back with two fingers, although this gesture is definitely less responsive than with Apple's trackpad. The whole trackpad is a button, just like a Mac. You can choose whether to tap-to-click, or not.

The big (huge) weakness is the display. Resolution isn't horrible compared to a non-retina Mac, but contrast is pretty bad. Unless you tilt the C720's screen perfectly, contrast is abysmal. I would gladly have paid more if it had a better display. It is the one thing that makes me regret this purchase, even at the low price.

Battery life is great. I used this machine earlier this week with streaming music in the background and working on documents for work. It had 20% left after 7 hours.

As is clearly stated in the description, this machine contains an OS that simply runs Google Chrome. You can get a great idea of what works and what does not by simply testing tasks in Google Chrome on a Mac, PC, or Linux box.

It is surprising what can be done with just a browser. It isn't perfect, but you can do a lot.

Below are some of my normal tasks, and how well they can be accomplished with the Chromebook C720.

Browsing: flawless. It is full-featured Google Chrome, and it is fast and responsive. It doesn't choke on any web sites or even web apps that I have found. It can handle ten tabs easily (2gb model).

Creating simple MS office documents: decent. It can create basic office documents (docs, spreadsheets, presentations) and export them for use in MS office.

Editing simple Microsoft Office files: fair. It works with simple spreadsheets and documents. It can "view" simple Powerpoint files.

It isn't great at handling complex MS office files with lots of formatting. You can probably get by in a pinch, but you will occasionally struggle and there are files you will encounter that just won't work at all.

I do not have a subscription to the new "MS Office 365" cloud apps, so I can't speak to how well it handles them. If it works as well as Apple's cloud office apps, you should have no problems with Office 365.

Edited to add: I tried Microsofts free trial of Office 365. Chrome's web office apps are just as powerful as Microsoft's web apps (though Apple iWork web apps are more powerful than both). The big difference between Microsoft web apps and Chrome web apps is the interface. The MS Office 365 interface is similar to modern MS Office with the big toolbar at the top. Google Chrome web office app interface is simpler and more like Office '97. Neither are super-powerful and I actually prefer Google Chrome's we apps to Microsoft's web apps. The Chrome apps make better use of screen real estate. Neither of them can display heavy formatting found in complex documents.

Apple iWork files (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers): great, using Apple's iWork for iCloud. iCloud will warn you that the browser is not supported, but it works great. It works just as well as it does using Chrome or Safari on a Mac. It can't import your iWork files into the offline software, so Apple iWork is a cloud-only online-only option.

Amazon Prime Video: failure. It simply does not work at this time (12/7/13)
Edited to add: now Amazon Prime Video works fine. ??? Perhaps Amazon had some issue or the machine updated itself, but it works fine now.

Netflix: works great.

Network storage using the file manager: failure. There is no way to easily connect to my home NAS server or shared folders on other machines on the network using the file manager.

NAS access using the browser interface: great. I have a Synology Diskstation NAS. I can watch movies, play music, and download files using the web-based interface just fine.

VPN access: failed (using my work VPN). It does have a VPN setup built in, but doesn't work with my company VPN. My company VPN works fine on iPhone, iPad, and almost any computer. This is a big drawback that Google needs to fix.

Printing: decent. I have an HP printer that is fully supported and it prints great (HP Officejet 7500). HP "eprint" printers have an email address and you just give the C720 this address for printer access. I have heard that it struggles with some printers, but I can't speak to it. The print command brings up a dialog to export your file/image/webpage/etc as a PDF file by default.

Photo viewing/editing: very mixed, and mostly awful when offline. One reason I wanted this device was to carry with me along with my camera to view photos on the go. It does have a full-size SD slot (though the card protrudes from the machine and can't be left in the slot for long). The built-in offline image "editor" is a joke. It can only view files fitted to the screen. It can do extremely simple tasks like cropping and brightness adjustment, and that's it. You can't even zoom in on an image to inspect it closely with the built-in photo app. With difficulty, I found an offline image editor app called "Pixir Touch Up" that does a much better job, and will allow you to zoom in on images from your SD card, but it isn't much better than the stock app. Pixir does offer a very full-featured online photo editor that is on-par with Gimp and others. Remember, the display isn't great and isn't ideal for inspecting photos. An iPad and an EyeFi card (or iPad camera connection kit) are a much better choice for toting along on a photography adventure. Even though the display is poor, it's too bad that Google did such a lousy job with the photo app.

Google Chromecast: great! It works well with my Chromecast. It works just as well as when using Chrome on my Mac.

Ease of use: decent. If you already have Chrome on a Mac/Linux/PC, you know how to use it. All of you settings, bookmarks, and everything else in Chrome on a Mac just downloads right into the Chromebook.

Google Drive storage: fantastic! This machine includes 100GB of Google Drive storage. Google charges $5/month for this great service and Dropbox charges twoce as much for similar service. I am Going to cancel my 100GB Dropbox and save $10/month for two years, which essentially makes this machine free. If you don't know about syncing files between your computers using Google Drive, you need to check it out. It is a bargain at $5, and a steal when free with a usable computer.

The machine itself with the current software is a three star item, but it is a great value. It isn't as high-quality as a Macbook or a modern tablet, but it is so cheap that it should be a consideration if you simply cannot afford a high-end machine, or you need a backup machine. It is better than many Windows machines I have used that cost more than twice as much. It would be 4-star-plus with a better display, better file manager, better network support, and better photo viewer/editor. Hopefully Google keeps working on it and eventually upgrades the weaknesses in the software.
4343 comments| 758 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I would have given this Chromebook 5 stars, but there were several small but irritating issues: First, Chrome runs only Chrome apps and can't run Microsoft Office except online. So you have to do all your docs in Google Drive. You don't get the FULL web sites, just Chrome versions of them. But having both a touchsmart and an Iphone, I can see that the sites are not very different at all. I even streamed movies on my Chromebook! It is REALLY fast - takes just 10 seconds to turn on, and the shortcut keys make navigation a breeze. Chrome has come a long way - I LOVE my chromebook! However, I was washing dishes and had my Chromebook several feet away from me. A bubble popped onto the Chromebook and the number that the bubble landed on NEVER WORKED AGAIN. Acer doesn't cover "water-damage" so I thank GOD I had just gotten it! I returned it back to Amazon and got another one the very next day. I didn't have to wait until I returned the damaged one - they just got it out the following day which is why I never shop ANYWHERE online except Amazon.com using Prime. With the second one, works GREAT! But KEEP AWAY FROM ALL LIQUIDS!!!
2525 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 19, 2013
I'm a technology addict and I've been following the development of ChromeOS for a while. When it first came out, I totally understood the concept but wanted to wait for it to mature a while and the prices to come down. My trigger price point was $200 so when the 2GB version of C720 came out, I had to have one.

I find it amazing that such an inexpensive device can do so much. After having it a week, it became my favorite machine just because it is so simple and light. After using it, you come to question why we need such big computing power, huge hard discs and RAM just to run a traditional OS when it comes to supporting the use cases for about 90% of what you use a PC to do. Whats even better, the Chromebook is pretty much ready to go out of the box, with an already pretty rich supply of online an offline apps don't cost you anything extra.

Just like tablets came on the market and turned the PC industry upside down because they did 80% of a PC did, and did it with a better user experience, lower price with much less hardware spec. In the same way, I think the Chromebook will have a permanent place in personal tech as the one matching basic needs at the cheapest price - a second PC for around the home, or the "throwaway" unit for travel where you don't have to worry about damaging or losing it because its both cheap and highly secure.

Specific to the C720 - I agree with most that the screen could be much better but it is still quite acceptable considering the price. The trackpad and the keyboard as well - I have no trouble using them and the trackpad is actually better than many more expensive PCs. I think the build quality is actually quite good - it looks professional and robust enough so that it can survive a road warrior's abuse.

The 2GB ram is also the best value in my opinion. I've read a comparison report that showed that the 4GB really has no advantage until you open up 15-20 tabs at once, anything less than that the performance is identical. My own experience (I usually open up only 5 to 10 tabs at once) is that browsing performance is excellent - comparable to my 2013 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM that cost 5x the price.
1818 comments| 950 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 21, 2013
People haven't you seen the commercials, chrome books aren't laptops. There like Pinocchio, but instead they say " when I grow up I wanna be a real laptop!"
1818 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 23, 2013
I wish Acer had put both versions in the market instead of the low-cost and less capable one. The 4GB version is much, much faster than the 2GB one but most folks don't know the difference. Really NOT cool to put both models in the same review on Amazon's part.
1616 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 6, 2014
I can't believe all the glowing reviews this notebook is getting. Maybe if all you use your machine for is checking your e-mail and the weather you'll be happy, but for anything slightly beyond Internet 101, you're going to be frustrated.

The problem? The damn Operating System...Google Chrome! What's wrong with Google Chrome? It's so bare-boned, so restrictive it what it allows you to do, I might ask "What's right with it?". Try playing a game on it that requires Java.....ain't gonna happen', Cap'n, because Google Chrome doesn't work with Java! Try installing your favorite browser, say, Mozilla Firefox and watch absolutely nothing happen.because you're locked into using the prepackaged browser Google Chrome.

I grabbed this notebook off the shelf of a local Walmart because we've had so much good luck with Acers in the past, it was small enough for travel, and it was cheap. An hour later I was taking it back and exchanging it for an Acer with a real Operating System, not this silly thing called Google Chrome. What exactly is the point of it?
1313 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2013
I got my first Chromebook about six months ago, it was Samsung series 3 with an ARM processor. Initially it meant to serve me as a second laptop for occasional light work online, but very soon I realized that I was using it most of the time. My powerful Windows laptop and Mac mini were just sitting there collecting dust, getting my attention only once a week at best. I replaced my Samsung with Acer C720 2 GB RAM version two weeks ago.
Here's a quick breakdown.
- C720 has a slightly better screen than Samsung. Same washed out colors, but contrast and viewing angles are better, and so is brightness level. If you are spoiled by the screens of modern tablets, you might think that 1366x768 resolution would look unattractive. That's not quite right. I should remind you that MacBook Air 11 screen has the same resolution and the same size. It's just enough to do what it's designed to do.
- The keyboard layout of C720 may not be as good as Samsung's, but I like Acer's feel and key movement better. Unless you have very large hands, it might provide one of the best typing experiences in the price range below $300, and it's definitely better than most Windows laptops for that price. I write quite a lot and C720's keyboard didn't cause any significant discomfort so far. Touchpad is reasonably good, but nothing to be overexcited about. I only wish it was a bit larger.
- C720 is WAY faster than Samsung. Don't be deceived by the name of the processor - this Celeron unit from the Haswell family has more processing power than Chrome OS requires. And 2 GB of RAM should be absolutely enough for anyone, who normally doesn't keep over a dozen tabs running heavy websites simultaneously. The fan would kick in from time to time, but it's very quiet and is never annoying. Boot time is typically impressive for Chrome OS devices and takes around 7 seconds.
- Battery life is one of the sweetest spots of this laptop. To get promised 8.5 hours you don't have to keep the screen brightness at 50% all the time (as you would do with the Samsung to get 6.5 hours). I don't carry the charger with me and never managed to make it run out of juice. In fact, sometimes I would even give some boost to my phone's battery from C720 without worrying that it may die unexpectedly. Also, the battery charges pretty quickly.
- Speakers of C720 are louder than Samsung's, but they don't sound much better - they shoot down at the table (or your lap) and don't really promise anything. But plug in headphones or external speakers and you'll get some decent sound quality for a low budget device.
- The Web Camera on C720 is also superior to the one in Samsung. Promised difference in resolution might not be that visible, but it keeps higher framerate, works better in low light and seems like it captures a wider viewing angle. It is definitely an upgrade. Microphone gets the job done, but it's not very useful in somewhat noisy environment.
- C720 is a little bit heavier than Samsung, but by no means it is heavy or bulky. It is still a portable laptop that could be easily moved or carried with one hand. Its build quality is better than most Windows laptops below $350. Obviously, there's nothing special about the quality of materials, but everything feels solid, the lid mechanism is sturdy enough, and overall it's not bad at all. It certainly lacks some style, but it looks and feels more expensive than it costs.
I love Chromebooks for the ease of use. The first set up takes about five minutes. They are perfect for kids, for elderly people unfamiliar with computers, for students, for writers, bloggers or even programmers. It's amazing how much stuff can be done in a browser. Online shopping, social networking, managing emails, listening to music, watching movies, reading books, video chatting - everything that most casual users actually do on their computers and even more. Offline capabilities are not forgotten - you can watch movies from the local or external storage, listen to music, work with Google Docs and many other Chrome apps or even games that can run offline. One of the greatest things about Chrome OS - there is virtually no maintenance. You have to try really hard to make it work wrong. Updates are seamless and a complete reset of the system with the Powerwash, in case you want to give it away or sell it, takes just few minutes.
I was skeptical when the idea of a Chromebook was introduced to the public. But when I tried one myself and gave it a proper open-minded shot, I wasn't able to go back. Today Acer C720 is my daily driver and I would change it only to a better Chromebook. For $199 it's almost impossible to beat its value. Don't forget, that with the purchase you also get 100 GB of Google Drive space for 2 years. And if you like touchscreens, C720p for $299 is also a very good deal.
1111 comments| 1,099 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2014
I have a lot of Chromebooks, and I have purchased 6 Acer C720's since the release last year. I have an original 4GB and 2GB model, I purchased two of the 2GB models for my nephew's, I set my sister up with a 2GB-32GBSSD and I just bought myself a 4GB i3. All of the C720s have been flawless performers as of this writing. They are fast, reliable, pretty well built, and they are an excellent value. I've also purchased 2 Chromebook 11's (1st gen with IPS), a Samsung Series 3, and a Toshiba 13. We also have a Chromebase and a Chromebox. All of these have been problem free as well. I have written lengthy reviews for most of these machines, but for this unit I just want to stress what a great value it is. Be careful of non-Amazon sellers trying to gouge on these machines. They should cost you $200 or less. And please take the time to research what a Chromebook is, what it can do, and what it can't do. The majority of negative Chromebook reviews are written by those who didn't know what it was they were purchasing and bought on price alone. If anyone has a specific question they would like to ask about the C720 line I would be happy to answer it as best as I can.
1111 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 25, 2014
Such bullhorn on prime price! I clicked the sec it went active and already gone my ass no way it was out
1212 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse