Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 7, 2014
It may be a Chromebook thing but I didn't like the operating system, it's not compatible with any Windows programs and it isn't even usuable without the internet.
99 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 19, 2014
The reason for this low rating is NOT because of shortcomings of the machine. The reason for the low rating is the incompetent and/or untruthful Acer customer support.

I contacted Acer customer support for instructions as to how the touchpad could be turned off because I wanted to use an external USB mouse and avoid the typing errors from inadvertant brushing of my hand over the touchpad when using the keyboard.

The first gentleman I spoke with said yes, the touchpad could be turned off with cosh commands but he did not personally know how to do it so he referred me to a higher level of technical support.

The young lady in the higher technical support told me that the touchpad COULD NOT BE TURNED OFF. I showed her Google references indicating that it was indeed possible and she answered with some extremely rude comments that would be unfit for public reading and seemed to imply that I was "stupid". Having never had contact a technical support person from any company that behaved like this I was totally speechless at this point.

I contacted Google support directly and they quickly supplied the proper information to turn off the touchpad and told me that some companies do not want customers to modify their machine in any way so they lie to the customer to get them to just "go away". That might be the issue here with Acer technical support or it might be the incompetence of one employee.

I am not sure that the gross behavior of this one person is indicative of the approach of Acer as a company to customers but I can say that in the future I will consider any companies products long before I consider purchasing an Acer product in case my experience is a reflection of company support policy.

Now...I would like to restate the Acer C720 seems to be a fine machine.
Acer customer support appears to be the worst I have ever encountered in my life.
77 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 5, 2014
I'm in my last semester (hopefully) of my undergrad and my 4 year old HP Envy quit on me in the first week of this semester. I've had my Chromebook for about a month now, so I think I'm a little qualified to leave a pretty accurate review.

Overall, I absolutely love my Chromebook. It is an amazing little device and I will probably never go back to a PC (I'm not a Mac person at all so I can't compare it to them). Now, as a disclaimer, I am not someone who does online gaming or software video editing. At most, I'll edit some pictures and maybe edit some music files, so I cannot attest to this devices ability to fulfill those needs (though it doesn't seem like it would be very compatible with them). However, as someone who needs a computer mostly for internet, research, email, music, social networking, and document editing, this thing is amazing.

1. Speed. This thing is a beast. It comes out of a sleep faster than my Kindle will start up (if I shut it down, not just if I wake it up from sleeping). It's kind of incredible how fast it boots. Internet browsing and document editing is awesome, video viewing is great (YES, this OS IS great for Netflix and online streaming, don't believe what you've heard if it is contrary to what I just said).

2. Display. I really like the Chrome OS layout (it's pretty similar to Windows 7, which I liked a lot more than any devices with Windows 8 that I've tried--my phone has Windows 8 and I kind of hate it now that I have my Chromebook). It's intuitive and simple--the whole setup process for me took like ten minutes tops.

3. Sync with Google. I can access all of my stuff EVERYWHERE. I used Google Drive before, but not as heavily. It is soooo so nice to have all of your material on whatever computer you may have access to.

4. Apps. Google has come out with some really useful apps for these devices and they're only making more.

5. Hardware. I love the way this Acer laptop is set up. The sound is surprisingly wonderful for such a small machine, AND it has separate "speakers' and "headphones" settings for sound. No more plugging my headphones in, forgetting I had the volume cranked earlier that day, and having my ear drums blown out. It's a simple but beautiful thing and I don't know why more manufacturers don't do it. The top row of keys is as follows: Escape, Back (internet browser button), Forward, Refresh, Fullscreen, I don't know what to call the next button but if you hit it it brings all the things you have open up on your desktop screen and you can click on what you want to go to, Dimmer, Brighter, Mute, Volume Down, Volume Up, Power. The "programs" button is awesome, I use it all the time to get to something else that I have open but don't want to scroll through everything to find, and having the internet back, forward, and refresh buttons on the keyboard is surprisingly nice. Some people say they're worried about hitting the power button accidentally, but to turn it off you have to hold it for a few seconds, so it's difficult to do it by accident. The screen is matte, so you can still see things if you're outside or by a window, and the trackpad is awesome--two finger scroll, click with two fingers for a right click, and you can enable tap to click in the settings (which I was thrilled with because I hate pushing down every time). Unfortunately, though, there's no zoom feature on the trackpad. That's my only complaint about it. This thing is SO lightweight overall--with my old computer, if I lugged it around campus my shoulders would kill me, but with this one I can barely tell it's in my backpack.

6. Sleep/Occasional Crash Recovery. Any time I've put this to sleep, turned it off without closing things, or had it run out of memory and need to restart abruptly, I have not lost a single thing. Are crashes desirable? No. Do they happen? Yes. Does this thing deal with them well? Absolutely. On a computer with only 2 gb of RAM I kind of expected a few crashes because I can be a heavy internet browser, but when it restores itself, all my tabs come back and whatever I was working on is safe.

7. Battery Life. Battery life battery life oh my gosh battery life. I am AMAZED with it. One day I was using it to watch Netflix and bum around on the internet and the battery was at about 60% and I didn't have to plug it in for FIVE hours. On a full charge, it will do at least 8 if you're not watching videos, and about 6 or 7 if you are. It's absolutely incredible and if it's the one reason you buy this computer, I wouldn't judge that decision (other than to say it's totally reasonable). It's wonderful and cannot be matched. It's also super convenient when I need to take it to class and am not sitting close to a power outlet. My old HP would get 3 hours MAX when the batter was new. If this computer only lasted 3 hours, I would wonder what was wrong with it. The lack of a need to plug in is a beautiful, beautiful thing and it is definitely unparalleled.

8. Google Docs. At first I was worried about not having Microsoft Word, but honestly, Google's line of word processing programs are so similar that it doesn't even matter. You can save things as .docx or .pdf and then anyone can view them in the "traditional" format. It's absolutely not necessary to have Microsoft Word. Plus, there are plenty of converter apps that Google has to view things from other people and turn them into Google Docs so you can edit them, and then turn them back into pdfs or whatever you need.

1. Sometimes it crashes. It happens with all computers. However, as I said, it reboots well and I've never lost anything.

2. The fact that all my stuff is on the cloud... I'm a little uncomfortable with it. I have an external hard drive with most of my files on it (especially videos and stuff). I've never had any problems with hacking, but it worries me slightly. However, Google is constantly improving security, so I'm not ALL that worried. The nice thing is that you can set up "2 Step Verification," so when you (or potentially someone else) log into your google account from a previously unused computer, you have to supply your password AND google sends your phone a text with a code to put in. You have to have your phone to log in, but this gives me a little more peace of mind.

3. Desire to Learn (this online software that my school uses for virtually everything) issues. The dropbox on Desire to Learn won't let me upload files. This has been an absolute pain and I have to make sure that I either have my Kindle Fire charged so I can send PDFs to it and then upload them with that, or that I'm on campus so I can use a public computer to turn in my assignment. This is my biggest complaint and I hope I can resolve it eventually, though I don't know how I could do it on my own.

4. Printing. I haven't sat down yet to try to connect my printer to cloud print. I know there are directions, I know you are supposed to be able to print with Chromebooks, but there are so many extra steps that I just haven't bothered with it yet. I've resorted to printing on my campus and my printer has gone dormant. Maybe eventually I'll hook it up and change this to a pro, but for now, it's a hindrance.

5. File Explorer. The file explorer is pretty simple but is sometimes kind of glitchy. Usually if I put my computer to sleep and wake it up again it solves that problem, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Overall, if you're not a huge gamer or video editor, this computer is amazing. All these great features combined with the outstanding price make it a fantastic choice for those who just use computers for internet and document editing. Contrary to Microsoft's Chrome OS slam commercials, IT IS NOT USELESS WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION. No, you can't access websites, but you can't do that offline with a PC anyway. You can still make documents and they'll just save to your small hard drive and sync with Google Drive later. It saves the most recent things you've worked on, and if you want more you can use an external hard drive or flash drive (or physically move files to the offline drive) to access more files offline. Honestly, though, I'm so rarely without an internet connection that it doesn't even matter anyway.
I would recommend this computer wholeheartedly (and have many times in the past month). It's compact, intuitive, useful, and does almost everything a common PC will do. If you have any other questions that I didn't address, just ask :)
55 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2014
Computer does not suppoprt java. Can"t use it for anything i can"t do on my cell phone. Wish i was told that in the product Bio. Realy would like to get my money back. This just sucks!!!!
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 15, 2014
I purchased this computer (Model C720-2420 ZHN) from Amazon for $248 in February,2014. I was interested in a more secure system for travel and accessing financial records. I thought (and still do) that this was probably the most secure operating system, at least from hackers, etc. But like most things in life, there are serious compromises. The worst in IMO, is the inability to print documents to a local printer. I had to print via Google's cloud system. And I don't trust those Google folks with confidential info any more than I trust the NSA or the teenager down the block who continually tries to break into my WIFI system. IMO, this computer is closer to a tablet with a keyboard than a full fledged computer, though it really falls in between the 2 types. I have since converted an old laptop to Ubuntu Linux (after trying to convert it to Zorin Linux, but abandoned Zorin flavor of Linux due to Google influence) and will use the Ubuntu computer for travel. Ubuntu let me encrypt the operating system as an added security measure. The ACER C720 boots very quickly and I never had any problems with memory capacity, even though I added a number of business and photo programs. Plus, it has a fast USB 3.0 port for hanging an external hard drive onto the unit for greatly expanded storage. The processor speed was adequate for my needs. Decent machine but the philosophy of tying it so closely to Google is not acceptable to me.... just like I used to feel about Mircrosoft.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 15, 2014
way too many bugs. I use it exclusively and it keeps crashing and has to be turned off and then back on. Power washing it did no good. Picked up a virus which finally went away after re booting about 10 times. Thought it couldn't pick up a virus. Now it runs really crappy. Very disappointed. Be trashing it as soon as I figure out what to replace it with
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 21, 2014
This thing is so neat I don't know where to begin. Maybe it's because I am not much of a "techie" but the idea that I can do most anything on this little baby that I can do with my desktop is to me simply phenomenal. Opened it up, typed in my Wi-Fi and gmail passwords and up popped my Chrome browser that I use all the time on my desktop configured with all my settings, favorites, etc, and I was on my way.

There are a few keyboard quirks (no delete key, just a backspace key delete after highlighting) and a few other learning curve items but, as I said, I'm no techie and an old guy at that, so if I could whiz through that you can too!

Delivered within 48 hours of ordering, great price, and thanks again Amazon!
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 11, 2014
Turns out i did not know that because it is a laptop made by Google, i can only download Google apps. In buying this product, you will not have (or be able to download) Internet explorer, Firefox, or any other programs that most people download to their computers! I cant even upload my music from my phone because the laptop will not download GOOGLE music manager because the app was built for windows computers! over all, it is ok.... for basic use! the only thing it is really good for is surfing the web!
on July 10, 2016
I bought 2 of these because my kids' schools use these for so much work - and homework is primarily online now. But I found that these have cheaply made parts. One of them had a problem right out of the box - screen would go black... often. Then that stopped and it started getting lines running through the screen, and having glitches all the time. The other had problems with screen black-outs and degradation after about 7 months, until the screen finally was just done. For the price paid ($229) I would rather have invested in a Kindle tablet, but the schools all use Chromebooks and I wanted the kids to have the same platform to facilitate ease. Good thing I bought the 2-yr Square Trade warranties on them.
on May 4, 2014
I have seen some junky sub-$1000 laptops. Lets say this is not one of them. But this laptop does not run Windows, so that might be the main reason.

Don't bother with the extra memory (32GB), as I have no idea what to even do with even 16GB on such a laptop. The only use extra memory would be likely involves reformatting the device and installing a new operating system. Everything you do is stored in the cloud. Save yourself some money and get the cheapest unit.

Everything you do on this computer, even the settings, runs in the Chrome browser. It is a bit underwhelming at first, but it will make up for it in vast speed. Pages load instantly. The latest HTML5 apps run amazingly well. It is an extremely fast computer that just happens to have a 1.4GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and a small flash drive.

For those linux hardcore users, the development mode can dump you to a unix prompt with just about everything else one would need to do...but this is optional.

I will be buying this computer again for another kid. Or perhaps a 3rd unit (i find it great for casual web browsing while my wife uses the macbook air for school)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse