BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 23, 2013
Hi, I just received this new Acer Aspire V7 from Amazon.com. I am typing this review from my new laptop and would like to share the first review. I have owned plenty of other laptops from various manufacturers in the past, including Apple, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, etc. I was drawn to this particular laptop because of the Generation 4 Haswell processor. As of this writing, this is one of the first laptops to offer the Haswell chipset. The keyboard is fairly spacious and the keys are pretty tactile and responsive.

I am happy to report that my wifi has been working flawlessly so far. No hangups or dropped connections! The new sony pro 13" and macbook air both have/had their share of wifi problems. I'm glad that this computer is working fine out of the box!

The trackpad is probably the only minor downfall (besides windows 8), the track-pad is a little fidgety when it comes to scrolling pages up and down. Otherwise it works decently. I will be purchasing a new Bluetooth mouse anyways, so this wont effect me too much.

Pros:
Generation 4 Haswell Intel Processor
8GB of Ram standard (most still offer 4GB)
Less than 1 inch thick
Under 5 lbs
7.5 Hour battery life! (I have not had this laptop long enough to verify this. But I will update when I get some more battery only usage).
Sleek, clean professional look
Backlit keyboard
Excellent price ~815.00 as of this writing.
Relatively small power brick and cord. NOT apple magsafe small, but still smaller than other PC laptops. The power brick is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.
Super tight and strong hinge. The screen will not budge and is very firm.
Loud speakers, (I'm not saying they sound good, but they are loud!)
Perfect display, no dead pixels etc.
Lots of HDD space
Very fast for 90% of all computing tasks (not for gaming though)
Runs cool and quiet. The bottom of the unit gets warm, but nothing too uncomfortable.

Cons:
Windows 8 ( I really dislike this OS., I much rather use Mac OS or Win 7)
Cheap packaging,
Horrible manuals and documentation. Pretty much nothing included.
No backup disk of any sort
Most of the ports, including power is on the back of the unit! the only ports on the side are 1 USB on each side, 1 headphone and 1 SD slot.
Tons of stupid bloatware (useless free software).
Crappy low resolution front camera, but its fine if you just want to skype.
Tiny power button located on the side. Not a big deal but it could get bumped in a bag or case.

I hope my review helps you when making a choice, I took one for the team and ordered this without any prior reviews. Glad its working out so far!

++++UPDATE++++

The external power button on the side of the unit is not a problem. When the laptop is off and the lid is shut, the power button is inactive. So you don't need to worry about it accidentally turning on while in a laptop case/bag.

Unit boots up in about 12 seconds! (from fully off)

Wifi still working very well. Strong signal bars, solid connection off of my AT&T u-verse wireless router.
1010 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2013
Would be five star if not for win8. Very nice laptop, fast boot up, Battery lasts about 5-6 hours on full charge, USB 2 and 3 ports, HDMI port and SD card reader. What more do you need. Got it for my 15 year old daughter, she loves it. Touch screen is nice. Touch pad not as responsive as would like but daughter seems to have mastered it in a short time. I use it with bluetooth mouse and it works fine.
on March 4, 2014
I couldn't be happier with this purchase. This touch screen Windows 8 machine is perfect to replace my laptop. It came well packaged and protected and booted right up without even needing to plug it in over night. The touchscreen works perfectly and the touchpad is very responsive. This machine comes with a lot of great Windows tiles already installed. It comes on immediately whether it's in sleep mode or starting up from a power down. I think that the confusion and difficulty others have experienced with Windows 8 comes from not understanding that the system is performing functions which may sometimes make it run more slowly, because it's not as obvious that system functions are going on with this OS. I'm absolutely in love with Windows 8 (upgraded to Win 8.1 first thing) and how it runs on this Acer. A beautiful, elegant machine. Small, light brick with the 2 part cord, Hours and hours of power (easily did an 8 hour day at work without even bringing my cord), nice screen size. Easy keys for increasing screen brightness and other functions. Love the backlighted keys--awesome! What a great ultrabook! Why did I wait so long for a touchscreen Windows 8 machine?
on December 6, 2013
Been using this for a few days and so far it's great. Giving it 5 stars because most of the issues are a simple fix by a setting change. Might update after I've used it more.

*Edited on March 2 2014
*The 20GB ssd is an msata which is easy to swap out if you ever want to upgrade it
*Only one ram slot, 4GB DDR3. The other 4GB is on the motherboard itself
*For the battery life it has, It charges rather fast.

-Touchscreen works wonderfully, I find myself using it more that the track pad
-Track pad clicking was a little bit of a learning curve but you get used to it rather quickly
-Resolution is a little small at 1366x768 But picture looks clear to me, no pixilation or distorts
-I'd recommend changing what the Power button does, I accidentally shutdown a couple times unknowing to me that I pressed it.
-It does come with a lot of pre loaded software, but almost every pre-build system comes with them. They are easy to uninstall
-CAD, gimp, and word all work fast.
-Backlight keyboard is nice with the ability to toggle it on/off
-Been averaging 8 - 9 1/2 hours of battery life depending on power plan & usage.

If you update to 8.1 via the store, Acer has the drivers you need if you get an outdated driver message.
[...] Search for V7-582PG and double check your installed drivers in device manger before you download.
on February 1, 2014
This is my first Acer laptop and really enjoy a lot of the features this model provides such as the 20 GB SSD, 8 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive. Battery life was important to me and I haven't been disappointed but I also haven't determined if I get a full 7.5 hours as advertised. This is also my first experience with a touchscreen laptop and didn't know how much I would use it. It turns out I use it almost exclusively. I've been using it on and off for about 6 weeks and I'm still learning how to use MS Windows 8.1. It definitely takes some effort to learn the new interface as compared to say MS Windows XP, but does seem to be a step in the right direction. The backlit keyboard is fantastic and I'm glad it was a feature in this model.
on December 31, 2013
I did a ton of homework before I bought this unit and I am completely happy with this decision. My new Acer Ultrabook is extremely fast and feature laden. My requirements, among others, were that it be both touchsceen and keyboard, and that it have a solid state drive. I did call support one time though and the guy was in some foreign country, and didn't know as much as I did about the unit and if he did I couldn't understand him anyway. This kind of support is not good for the continuation of the company. I can't tell you how may associates I have that have dropped HP, along with myself, for lousy support. Acer should recognize that first class support is a MUST for long term viability. IE Amazon, Zappos, Liftmaster to name a few top support companies that continue to grow because of this.
on June 13, 2014
When I opened the box up, I thought this computer had a nice look to it. After awhile using it though, I have to say that I hate the trackpad. It's way too sensitive and overreacts to every touch. It's easily the worst I've ever used. I'd rather go back to the nub that my Thinkpad had 14 years ago. I don't think this computer is worth the price. Then again, I don't use the touchscreen. If you use the touchscreen, you might like this ultra book a lot more than I do. If the trackpad is important to you though, choose another laptop.
on March 22, 2016
This computer is a great secondary PC that we use around the house, but I would really dislike it if it were my main PC all day. The touchscreen is nice, backlit keyboard, and weight is reasonable for the size. The maximum screen resolution is horrible though. You can get better resolution on a tablet than you can with this. I was shocked that the maximum resolution is only 1,366 x 768.
on December 30, 2014
It was beautiful to touch and use. Was working perfectly and then stopped charging or recognizing the charger at all shortly after I got it. I bought it refurbished and the seller was very good about troubleshooting. They even sent a new charger to make sure that wasn't the problem - but I ended up sending it back. I want another one!
on February 12, 2014
I spent months searching for a new computer and settled on this one. I was replacing my old HP due to the fact that it had slowed down quite a bit, was freezing up, and was just old. I honestly think this brand new computer has more issues freezing up than my 5 year old HP. It often fails to recognize the wifi signal in my house or office and I have to restart in order to get it to pick up the signal again. It freezes quite a bit when I am doing very basic things like sending email. When I turn it on in the morning, it can take upwards of 5 minutes for the internet to register. For a computer of this price I am hugely disappointed.

Otherwise the computer is nice. As others have mentioned, the resolution is pretty poor. Again, my old HP had better resolution than this does but that doesn't really bother me. The track pad is also a pain as others have noted but I can deal with that too. It's light, the touch screen is nice and responsive and the unit is sleek. I actually really like the keyboard. But I work from home and 100% of my work is online so having a reliable internet connection is crucial and so that's a deal breaker for me.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product. I could have spent less for a better machine. I won't purchase an Acer again.