An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Like you ve never seen him before.
As Joe Bonamassa grows his reputation as one of the world s greatest guitar players, he is also evolving into a charismatic blues-rock star and singer-songwriter of stylistic depth and emotional resonance. His ability to connect with live concert audiences is transformational, and his latest project, the live acoustic 2-disc CD/DVD/Blu-ray Joe Bonamassa: An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House (J&R Adventures) captures the magnetism and maturity Bonamassa showcases as an artist.
Joe Bonamassa: An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House, to be released in March 2013, was recorded at the historic Vienna Opera House last July during a very special two-week long unplugged tour, played to a limited audience over seven exclusive European shows. Varying from his predominantly electric blues shows, this presentation was an all-acoustic concert performance, making it a unique and very special show fans had been waiting years to experience.
Produced by long-time collaborator Kevin Shirley, Joe is supported on his vintage acoustic instruments by an eclectic assortment of craftsmen from around the globe. They include: Gerry O Connor, a music historian and traditional Irish fiddler from many generations of Irish music, on Irish fiddle, mandolin, and Irish banjo; Swedish multi-instrumentalist Mats Wester will play the Nyckelharpa, a Swedish keyed-fiddle; Los Angeles keyboard maestro Arlan Schierbaum, whose extensive recording career focuses on organic instruments, plays accordions, celeste, toy pianos, and more; and legendary Puerto Rican percussionist, Lenny Castro, whose works spans genres and reads like a who's who of artists, including the Rolling Stones, Sir Elton John, Eric Clapton, Boz Scaggs, Toto, Stevie Wonder, David Sanborn, Avenged Sevenfold, Little Feat, Tom Petty, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and many more
About the Actor
1. Arrival 2. Palm Trees, Helicopters and Gasoline 3. Jelly Roll 4. Dust Bowl 5. Around The Bend 6. Slow Train 7. Athens To Athens 8. From The Valley 9. The Ballad Of John Henry 10. Dislocated Boy
11. Driving Towards the Daylight 12. High Water Everywhere 13. Jockey Full Of Bourbon 14. Richmond 15. Stones In My Passway 16. Ball Peen Hammer 17. Black Lung Heartache 18. Mountain Time 19. Woke Up Dreaming 20. Sloe Gin 21. Seagull 22. Goodnight Vienna (Credits)
1. On The Road The Making Of 2. An Acoustic Evening Voices
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. The omission of a bass player was intentional to give the other instruments and the vocals more "air", but a bassist like Danny Thompson or Edgar Meyer could have added immeasurably, I think. Bad call.
2. The inclusion of the Swedish Nyckelharpa is interesting, but a tad redundant when you have a fiddler like Gerry O'Connor on board. More a novelty than a solid contribution in a small combo. Another instrument choice would have been better.
3. Don't get me wrong, I love Joe's guitar playing, and he came up with some captivating arrangements for this concert, but a few of the songs' guitar parts sounded a bit repetitive, and his leads make it clear that while he is a wonderful acoustic player, there are a number of better ones (Tommy Emmanuel, Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn and Kelly Joe Phelps come to mind, just to name a few).
Do not, however, let these minor reservations keep you from experiencing this remarkable performance. If you're a Joe fan you'll love it, and if you're not, this show just might make you one. I recommend the CD/mp3 versions as well.
Which brings me to something you don't often enough these days. Sound Quality. Joe still cares. In an industry that has moved away from quality sound to smaller and smaller file sizes to speed down-load time. Joe has obviously assembled an equally skilled technical staff to record and produce this concert (as he does all his releases) with some of the sound and image quality you could hope for. Put this on a really good system and watch and listen.
Most recent customer reviews
Your playing just continues to amaze me!!!! And those other guys, too!!!!Read more