Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Acoustic Research HDP100 HD Powerlink Audio/Video Transmission System Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on November 23, 2008
Like all powerline products, how well it works depends on the wiring in your house. I have both boxes (transmit and receive) on the same circuit, going from the front of my living room to the projector in the back. Picture quality is great and looks the same as with a long HDMI cable. I have measured it pushing nearly 50 Mbps of Blu-ray data with no trouble.

I use a projector, so I cannot speak to how well it passes audio through. I have also not tried the IR pass-through.
There are a couple of downsides. The boxes run pretty hot, even staying warm when on but not in use. Each box has its own power switch. I have mounted the boxes in locations not convenient for turning on and off (switch only, no IR) and it bugs me that the standby state runs warm, sucking down electricity 24/7. Also, AR/Audiovox customer service is lacking, as they were no help with seeking stand screws that were supposed to be included, but were left out of the box. Their response: "Our apologies but we don't carry parts as we only do basic troubleshooting and in-warranty exchanges for the whole unit. But you can visit our major dealers that carry our line of products....and check if they have the part you're looking for. Also check other electronic shops/stores within your area that carry suitable replacement parts that may fit your unit."
on September 2, 2011
This is a good product, but in order to get HD quality signal transferred to your HDTV, both the transmitter and receiver need to be plugged into the same circuit. In other words, both plugs need to be connected to the same breaker in your fuse box. So if you are connecting in the same room you're probably gold, but otherwise it's a gamble that will probably leave you with less than desirable quality.

Otherwise the devices are very simple...plug and play. HDMI connections for both the transmitter and receiver. Also, the IR remote transmitter works great too, and the receiving unit has a nice front IR receiver so the extender is only necessary if you want to hide the black box.
on September 20, 2012
I have to say that this thing worked for me.
There are some conditions:
First, you must have both the TV and the device in the same room.
Second, it only transmits HD signal, progressive scan (from 480p to 1080p). No interlace.
Third, make sure that you connect the receiver and transmitter in a stand alone outlet (no surge protector or extensions)
My use is to connect my HD laptop to a HD TV via HDMI. I usually watch video streaming from international soccer and I had to always move my laptop (which is at the other side of the room)closer to the TV in order to connect it to the TV via HDMI.

The receiver and transmitter gets very warm. But both are with a on/off switch. After use, I power them off.

Using this tool I don't need to move my laptop anymore.
It is working so far.. just one day of use. Will see how long it last.

By the way, delivery was very fast.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
The system does not work. I bought this system because I am a long time fan of AR products. I loved their warm sounding stereo speakers. Also, the price was astonishingly low compared to every other HD AV transmitter / receiver system. I took a shot and was disappointed. I followed ALL the directions / guidelines / recommendations / and made sure the units were properly tested, properly plugged in, properly placed, and properly used as per the instructions. The result:

In the same room with the units plugged into adjacent wall outlets the receiver could not find the transmitter. I got less than what I paid for and I knew I paid for the worst and cheapest item of its kind. Save yourself the time and aggravation. Look elsewhere.
on February 13, 2013
Product looks solid like any AR product, product performance is extremely poor, even on the same circuit with no other devices plugged in on the same circuit (everything else was plugged into another circuit), the performance was spotty at best at 720p was even worse at 1080p. Don't bother to buy this.
on February 24, 2013
It works as advertised. The limitation that you are limited to a 20-30 ft run of electrical wiring between the transmitter and receiver is what I found. I actually moved it around to see how far it would go. It uses HDMI only, there are no composite video jacks etc. You source cannot be 1080i... you must be using a "p" like "720p" to feed the transmitter. If you observe those specifics it works, and works far, far better than a couple other "rf"systems that I tried previously.
on June 30, 2012
the idea its perfect, but its to far in reality. In same room outlets, the quality its to far from HD, the audio its not clear and the image has noise too.
I have tested more than 3 devices like this and still cant find the good one.

dont waste your money... its better to cable, and solve the problem forever
on February 9, 2013
As a home theater accessory, this didn't work too well... It's limited by the state of your existing wiring. However, as an HDMI signal extender, it works GREAT over long power cord. I was able to run HD signal from my laptop to a monitor 350 feet away, with no loss of quality. Bargain.
on May 23, 2012
Severely outdated. With HDMI 1.4 even connected to THE SAME electrical outlet: intermittent picture quality issues and sound static.
Not worth even $25 I spend on it as part of combo with HP usb stick.
Plain useless.
Do not recommend to buy at all.
on March 23, 2010
I bought this unit thinking it would be an easy solution to running an expensive HDMI and I/R repeater cable to my TV. It was a great concept. Too bad it simply does not work.

I am not an "audiophile" looking for some extreme quality. I didn't even get that far. I connected this to my DirecTV HD DVR and it could barely navigate the menus because of the slow response time of the remote and even the menus were noticeably low in quality.

I never actually saw any sort of video on through the unit, let alone a full HD picture as it was too slow to render those.

I eventually tried connecting both sides to the same outlet to see if it was my house wiring (I have a fairly new house) and that did not help.

No reputable retailer should carry this product.