Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Live At The Royal Albert Hall
Format: DVD|Change

on December 6, 2011
I love adele, her voice, songs and etc
nothing against her.

but the concert editing is horrible
basically the director use everything tricks in the book for the show

panning in and out on the artist,
panning in and out on the concert hall
panning in and out on the audience
slow motion
less than 1 sec cut from artist to concert hall to audience to band to the backup singer back to artist

i will just listen to the CD
1313 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 10, 2011
I was able to preview this and it is with pleasure that I call myself one of the biggest Adele fans ever. It is almost impossible to find someone you don't know that makes you feel as if though they took the words right out of your mouth and put them in song. She said that she concentrated on making music for the ears, not the eyes, but in this video, you're clearly able to see that the eyes get a treat as well- she is breathtaking.

In a modern age, where concerts rely on special effects, pyro, dancers, and theatrics, Adele manages to achieve the same results one would get from such shows by just having a backing band, 2 background singers, and a stool- her voice IS the show! I will be honest, I was worried about Adele having so many throat problems while on tour and when she had surgery in early summer, I was expecting a drastic notice in her voice. You do hear her throat a little scratchy in the dvd/cd but the "imperfections" only managed to bring more truth to the songs.

It should be in everyone's bucket list to catch an Adele show- I guarantee she is not to be missed!

1."Hometown Glory"
2."I'll Be Waiting"
3."Don't You Remember"
4."Turning Tables"
5."Set Fire to the Rain"
6."If It Hadn't Been for Love"
7."My Same"
8."Take It All"
9."Rumour Has It"
10."Right As Rain"
11."One & Only"
13."Chasing Pavements"
14."I Can't Make You Love Me"
15."Make You Feel My Love
16."Someone Like You"
17."Rolling in the Deep"
1111 comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 22, 2011
This review is ONLY about the filming of the concert. Adele sounds amazing, the band rocks, and light show (if I could ever really see it) looks fantastic.

HOWEVER, THE AMATEUR DIRECTING OF THE DVD RUINS ANY HOPE OF ACTUALLY SEEING THE CONCERT. Adele is a wonderful performer, so why would the director (and anyone on her staff who approved this DVD) film more of the back of Adele's head, the audience, a member the band's hands, another audience member, Adele far way from the side, more band's hands, a couple of audience members, a quick face shot of Adele, more audience, more band, more back of her head, a close up of her face, and then end with what..... more audience and band!!!!? What is wrong with the director to this DVD?

I want to see ADELE sing, not audience members singing with her! I actually couldn't sit through more than a half hour before all the jump cuts and sweeping shots (THAT, AGAIN, DON'T SHOW US ADELE) make my stomach upset. It's ok to sit the camera down and just film a performer, but somehow no one trusts Adele with this task.

If you want to have this as background music, buy it. But if you want to see the concert that Adele performed... well so do it. Too bad this horrible director is more interested in showing us EVERYTHING EXCEPT ADELE on this DVD. I wish I could return this as I am so mad that this is unwatchable. :(
88 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2011
I was hoping that a concert recorded in this decade with the best filming and recording technology would produce a great experience. I was hoping BLU-RAY would top it off.

Before I roast the producers and editors, I must point out that Adele was absolutely perfect. Her voice was clear, strong, and full of emotion, conviction, and she sold every song. After buying the CD and playing it a hundred times, I could not wait to hear her talk during song breaks. Adele turned out to be the real deal. She is charming, funny, and thankful for the audience and the opportunity to perform.

The video quality was "average" (lighting, clarity, etc). The sound quality was average as well, lacking dynamic clarity. The Dolby digital opportunity was missed by the sound engineers and the band sounded muted and mushy at times. My only solid beef was with the videoghraphy. The effects they use to dramatize a scene were overused to the level that gave me a headache. The camera cut to the next camera every 2 to 3 seconds and the fade in and out of focus on top of that ruined it for me. The contant sweeping pans and zooms were visually painful by the time the second song ended.

I realize watching a great concert with a single fixed camera is boring. However, the OVER THE TOP constant camera effects were over done.

How can an artist who sings notes that last 10 seconds permit four to five camera changes in one note? how can a artist who has absolutely awesome phrasing allow the video effects take away from her hard work and talent? I really contenplated rating this with only one star.
77 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 16, 2011
My husband and I really enjoyed the dvd and cd. Adele is great! The only thing that I wish Amazon made clearer is that there is a lot of swearing on the dvd. She drops THE F word several times when talking to the audience as well as several other colorful phrases. We don't mind... but I am guessing that some parents of younger children might object.
66 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2011
I received Adele Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD/CD set today, which I've been looking forward to for a few weeks. Having already watched the DVD, and listened to the CD, here's my review:

Let's start with the production value, which is a dicey proposition with concert DVDs. This one was top notch. The director did a nice job of capturing Adele, her songs, and the audience. He didn't get too cute with silly camera tricks or over editing, which is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to concert DVDs. I'm watching the concert to see the show, not what cool tricks you learned in film school. I was very pleased with the production value of this DVD.

Moving on to the packaging and content, very simple which equals nice in my book. The box, discs, and booklet have a nice black and white theme to it, which again, captures Adele and her music properly.

The DVD includes the concert (duh!) and an 8:30 clip, documenting Adele from literally her first of coffee to the moment she walks onstage. I'm a sucker for that type of stuff, so I enjoyed that--esp since it was brief.

Now for the meat of the DVD--the concert itself. I always enjoy watching live Adele clips, because not only does she have a great, great voice, but also a big stage presence. She has this aura about her that I don't think even she realizes at this point in her career. Just magical.

The setlist was your typical Adele setlist, with a mix of new/older songs, with a couple of covers thrown in for good measure. Solid setlist. Her voice, however, wasn't the greatest this particular concert. Now, days after filming this show she cancelled the rest of her 2011 tour and had vocal chord surgery and you can tell her voice was tired and not right. It didn't sound bad, it just wasn't the powerful voice I've come to love. Put it this way--an 70% Adele is 100 times better than 99% of the other artists out there, past and present. For that reason, I wish they would have held off until after her surgery to put out this DVD. Perhaps we'll get another one within the next couple of years. I hope so.

Overall, I enjoyed this DVD. Like I said earlier, I love live Adele and to have an hour and 41 mins at my disposal is greatness! This DVD makes me want to see her live even more, which will happen once she returns from vocal chord surgery.
44 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2011
She is truley amazing and just as good live as on her studio albums.

I was disappointed in the technical aspects though; DTS-HD MA 16-bit/48Khz sound, Dolby Digital Stereo 224kb/s track, 1080i 60fps video.
I would have liked to seen a 24-bit audio track and 1080p 24fps video

Really low quality as far as Blu-ray is concerned, still sounded great though. The CD bonus is a nice addition.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2011
Amazing and Disappointing!

Never thought the two would go together in a single sentence let slone describe a single entity, but this is exactly what this BluRay disc is.

I was terribly disappointed when I popped in the disc and played it only to feel cheated by this horrible horrible video transfer that can only be described as VHS quality. The better 'hi-def' YouTube videos at 720p has better details, and the pixelations were unforgivable. I am left standing pondering of the chances that the DVD would have had a better video-quality since, unfortunately, the BluRay players activate their 'upscaling' feature only for DVDs but not for BlyRays which, in this case, sorely needed it.

The audio quality too, though the lable claims to be DTS-HD, was found wanting. Her vocals were not as rich as you hear from her CD but the sheer power and melody of her voice more than makes up for it.

To summarise, you don't need me #or anyone else for that matter# to tell you that the concert was simply amazing! Her "someone like you" alone was worth the price of admission. I was, however, left yearning for the audio-visual immersiveness of the 'An evening with the Dixie-Chicks' DVD --- a disc that the producers should have taken a leaf off of instead of dumping this shoddy product on the people who make their paycheque. Rest assured you will not be disappointed as Adele takes you away into her musical reverie and almost makes you forget the shoddy audio-visual production.

#5 stars for the concert, 1 star for the shoddy production#
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2012
Obviously I am missing something. Adele is universally loved. Just read all the five star reviews. That's why we bought the concert. I agree with some of the technical critcisms of the blu ray disc, but they didn't bother me too much.
I find most of her songs boring, with most sounding to me like the previous one. Her voice is powerful even though at this concert it was obvious she wasn't 100%. Her between song patter was also very difficult for me to understand. She does not speak a sophisticated English, and the between song patter is like the disclaimers you hear at the end of a radio ad. You know, motor mouth. She can be funny when you can understand it.

It would have helped greatly if there were subtitles to turn on. That way you could get familiar with the song lyrics easier and understand the patter.

One last thing. Her voice was so over amplified with an annoying echo to it as well.

I love all kinds of music but I was very disappointed in this performance. I know she has a great voice. I'd love to hear her perform some music outside of whatever this was.

I await my beating!!
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2011
Be forewarned.

I picked up the Blu-ray as a surprise for the family, thinking if it was good I might buy a copy as a Christmas gift, etc. Adele is an extremely talented singer, a gifted writer, and seems very down to earth. But why the language? Given the venue, her elegant dress and material, what's with "****ING ROYAL ALBERT HALL," and everything else that follows in her between song chats with the audience? And it's a shame, because she's a fine storyteller. Anyway, the Blu-Ray is labelled as "EXPLICT CONTENT" and rightly so.

Audio is very good; visuals are good but too many cuts for my taste, but overall very enjoyable, except for the language.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse