Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on February 14, 2016
In photography new advances occur quickly, new cameras deliver new proprietary photo formats (RAW). This text describes Adobe Camera RAW(ACR) as it existed in some earlier versions of ACR. This is not bad, RAW is a moving target, that which worked two or three versions back will still work. Just new features need to be learned, so the text becomes your 'baseline' resource and you move on from there. Why; non destructive, many 'PS-like' features..before going into PS, in fact you may not need PS as much. Why 4 stars, well Adobe keeps revising/updating their ACR and a book once printed becomes static. But this text is well presented and the understanding reader will get a good experience from it.
on July 7, 2006
I'm relatively new to PS. In the last 8 months I've worked through most of Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers and Photoshop CS2 One on One and thoroughly processed about 50 (not a lot) photos out of the thousand or so I've shot.

I bought Camera Raw in preparation for moving most of my photography to a DSLR and to help decide whether and what to shoot RAW vs JPG - to learn the advantages and disadvantages of RAW processing, what is entailed and how much time it might take. I've been shooting RAW now for only a month and a half and Camera Raw has been my bible for processing my mostly RAW images.

The content of this book and Rob Sheppard's writing and presentation styles are a perfect package for me. He's clear and to the point, writes in a friendly but not cute way and gives a lot of comments on why he's doing each task in the way he's chosen. He keeps the focus on getting the results the photographer/reader wants.

The book takes you through a well-defined RAW processing workflow and thoroughly covers how and why to use all of the functions on the adjustment tab and the new curves tab, with good sections on the detail and lens tabs and a brief but excellent discussion of using the tricky calibration tab function. Images are used to show each step of the process being discussed. A lot of the images apparently show subtle adjustments that in many cases I simply couldn't see on the page. Could be my eyes or being able to "see" well - or just the limitations of printing. Doing the same steps with downloaded copies of Rob's images was more helpful in seeing the effects of the adjustments on the monitor.

I found this very exciting stuff. Chapters like "The Histogram, Key to RAW and Camera RAW" may be old to many readers, but was covered in a much more thorough and illuminating way than in any of the dozen or so articles I've read. There was an excellent chapter on dealing with noise in Camera RAW and mention of post RAW noise reduction options.

Camera RAW is useful for anyone who shoots RAW, whether with a DSLR or compact digital. It has a nice chapter specifically for compact camera photographers with topics including "Why Bother" and "Challenges of the Small Sensor" plus basic processing for compact camera RAW.

The next-to-last chapter is a delightful extension in this book on RAW. "Post Camera RAW Processing" reminds that ACR only treats images as a whole, leaving the work on specific areas of a photo to Photoshop. More than that, it provides a great tutorial on using a plethora of adjustment layers and masks to make an image have the kind of visual and emotional impact you might want. Very very useful for me. A strong nitpick about some other books is that they spew out keyboard shortcuts, most of which I can't remember, but they don't say where the functions they're using fall in the menu structure. But -- Rob tells us in what menu each item he uses can be found - and adds the keyboard shortcuts too.

Bottom line - the example image subtleties notwithstanding, as a relative beginner I'm extremely happy with Camera RAW. It is not overwhelming, but has depth that I will be able to continue to use.
Enthusiast: Photographyon February 19, 2008
This book is one of the reasons I have started shooting in RAW format. Another reason? Photoshop Elements and the free Camera RAW plug-in from Adobe.

All in all, the text appears to cover pretty much everything you would really need to know about Camera RAW and how to use it to show your photos at their best.

At times the illustrations don't clearly show the subtle changes that result from applying some of the optional settings, but that probably is more a function of the limitations of photo print reproduction in an affordable book.
on March 16, 2017
Great book!!!!!!!!
on June 1, 2012
I have been a photographer for many, many years and currently have 3 digital cameras and take a fair amount of pictures. I know RAW is good, but have never had any classes in it. THIS BOOK IS THE ANSWER! WOW! I just received the book today, and after just a few pages I can tell this is going to be very informative. Don't hesitate -- if you found this review, take my word and go buy this book from Amazon -- it will be worth every penny.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2007
This book seems extremely informative as most reviewers have noted. I would emphasize, however, that Photoshop is an extremely complex application and the book covers a limited aspect of it. I am still learning how to get in and out of the program, and how to set up a workflow even for the one-off types of work in which I am interested - completing a couple images every month about which I feel good. I have also purchased the LAB color space book, Canyon Conundrum, and would say the same for that. Admittedly, I have not done the tutorials that came with the program, but I think the beginning user probably needs something that simplifies the entire process. If anyone has seen something like this let me know at [...]or maybe put it here. Even PS2 for Dummies does not seem to give one an overall schema into which one fits things like color management and working in RAW. I'm sure I'm not simple minded nor do I have low aspirations, but these books are definitely aimed at the person who is already pretty familiar with the application.
on February 5, 2010
I recently purchased this book by Sheppard even though it was somewhat out of date
and soon discovered that it was one of the best books I have ever read on Camera Raw. Sheppard writes in a clear, concise way making sure that you understand the points he is delivering. Raw conversion and Photoshop itself can be intensely
complicated in many ways but Sheppard can lead you through all of this to a clear understanding and that is the purpose of any excellent book!
on April 6, 2009
As a Lightroom user the book is not perfect since it talks about raw more from the Adobe Camera Raw point of view and Lightroom is a little different ... but it is fairly close. The book is a bit wordy but the idea that the features of raw should not be considered a license to be sloppy with exposure since increasing it in raw also adds noise is important. The book is also good for providing a number of suggestions and clarifications.
on January 13, 2010
This book is suitable to everybody. It explains all about camera raw with basics words and take care to explain the best WORKFLOW to use for a photographer in order to avoid confusion and than to obtain best results.
I like this book and I have learned a lot.
I recommend it especially for those who are inexperienced.
Good read to everybody.
Sergio Conti
Italy.
on September 8, 2011
I'm confused. The product details for this kindle book says "Wiley; 2 edition (June 9, 2011)". But the copyright in the Kindle book (and the Amazon book preview) is 2008 and the latest Photoshop version referenced throughout the book is "CS3". This all makes me wonder if I ended up getting the 1st edition.