Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on October 27, 2010
I bought this workbook hoping for an in-depth treatment of widgets and advanced actions, both subjects that currently lack extensive coverage, anywhere. Although both subjects are covered here, it's at an introductory level- especially the coverage of advanced actions. I needed an introduction and got one, so I'm fairly pleased. However, I wish this title covered advanced actions in more depth.

Nonetheless, I benefited in completing this workbook, as it includes handy examples of best-practices; it flows logically and clearly, covering a wide range of features. It feels brief, especially since I want deeper exploration of widgets and conditionals. Overall, I'm happy to have gone through this work book- but would appreciate more depth of detail. This book will get you up and running quite well, but if you want to push the limits of Captivate, you'll have to look elsewhere. Recommended, but with a wish that there was more "Beyond" in this title.
on October 20, 2011
I am in the process of creating a software simulation for a self loading CD for my students to learn Outlook 2007. I have been through the Captivate 5 training at Lynda.com. The training was great but not very in depth on advanced issues. I was hoping this book would help. I am sure it will on somethings. I am an active learner and wanting more information than just a set of directions. For me this book is hard to work with. The author assumes you are familiar with the layout of the program which is fine. However this assumption will leave some students floundering. For me a the list of directions without connecting together of concepts and being able to see an end project leaves me with out a end to shoot for. These basic points leave me questioning if I am going to find the answers to my questions. I purchased the book because I know the program can do things that I cannot find the directions for. I am afraid I am no closer to find out how to make the program do what I want it to do then before I started this book. There is also no main index to be able to jump through the book to find answers. You just have to go page by page.

The author starts you off by creating an account at adobe.com and using it to upload files. If you are not wanting to do that,like me, then some of the directions are going to leave you floundering. The information in the book is solid and I recommend it because of that. However, if technical writing leaves you flat like it does me. Then I would recommend another book.

What is funny is I just took a technical writing course. It seems the mental curses I have been throwing at technical writers is not the writers it is the technique of technical writing.
on February 4, 2012
This is a Fantastic Book! I am Self taught graphic designer. I needed to learn all about Quizzes fast. Kevin Siegel's book "Captivate The Essentials" Has made it a breeze. It is concise easy to follow and you quickly learn all the "in and outs", in order to make the project your own. I have enjoyed it and have just purchased his book "Beyond Essentials". As a note: I have used all "The Classroom in a Book" for other software, however this is the first book I have written a review on. Thank you Kevin!
on April 4, 2018
Easy read and very instructive.
on April 20, 2011
The information like the previous books is clear and to the point, albeit a bit lackluster. It is disappointing if you are looking for more extensive and in depth for Advanced Actions, Widgets and new functionality on drop down tabs. I will be looking into some Lynda.com content for better coverage for intermediate and advanced usage.
on July 1, 2011
Get your highlighter and get ready for an easy guide to learn to foundations of Adobe Captivate. The perfect guide for the novice.
on February 16, 2011
This is a good follow-up purchase if you bought "The Essentials" by this author. The book covers most of the essential topics, and provides additional material on their website.