Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 27, 2014
This is one of the few ways you can still get an item from the creative suite prior to Creative Cloud. I prefer owning my software, (as much as you can really own software) as opposed to renting or leasing it. Adobe has finally made changes that are useful, as opposed to CS4, where Adobe was apparently thinking: "Hey, let's take all the menus and toolbars, move them around in random order, take out the features our core users love, and put in a bunch of features that they'll never use, and will bog down their system." CS6 still isn't perfect, but it's a world more functional though. You just have to take the time to explore the features and changes to fully take advantage of them. I use this software for 10+ hours a day, almost every day, and I couldn't get along without it. I'm sure I'll move on to the CC versions of Adobe's software, but for now I'll cling to this "legacy" version. I mean, it's almost 2 years old, so it's ANCIENT, right? Also, it looks amazing on a MacBook Pro with Retina display!
6 people found this helpful
on December 23, 2013
I tried various Mac App Store programs and various trials. There is nothing else that combines all illustration features into one program, and does so reliably. But I understand that this is the result of years of development, along with recent conversion of Illustrator to 64 bit.

Unfortunately, the App Store alternatives do not all handle .SVG files consistently, or even open .SVG that they created to even look like the same image! Illustrator opens .SVG files to match how they were previously saved. Also custom vector brushes actually work, although it takes several steps to create them, and with some limitations, versus the single step procedure in some alternative programs, but that sometimes do not work. Illustrator actually incorporates a high resolution bitmap to vector conversion routine. The AppStore alternatives for this were actually quite good, although Illustrator's goes to greater detail. Any of the alternatives were good, but again, Illustrator has this feature built in, versus having to get yet another AppStore app to do this. Illustrator has some 3D rendering abilities as well, more intuitive than stand alone 3D rendering programs, though I can not comment if the depth of this capability would be suitable to someone who does 3D work for a living. Finally, Illustrator has strong vector based natural media tools, making it probably the best vector companion to bitmap Corel Painter.
On the surface, Illustrator works very intuitively, though some of the features I just mentioned were not at the top level menu and button commands, so I could not on my own figure out how to do them. However, online search revealed copious demonstration videos and guides, many from Adobe's own website, explaining how to use each of the features I just described. The organization of Illustrator is such that once I had gone through the video demo once for any of these features, I was easily and quickly able to find and use those features again on my own.

One gripe, maybe minor. Adobe's website states that this (lifetime licensed) version of Illustrator (CS 6) will no longer be updated for new features, and the newer version (Illustrator CC) is only available on a subscription basis. While the added features of Illustrator CC did not look like anything substantial to me (again, a testament to the years of development that have gone into Illustrator, leaving it difficult to come up with anything new and substantial that would be relevant to add to the software), one can never predict for sure what might become an alleged "must have" new feature for illustration programs, or if a future update to Mac OS might render Illustrator CS6 non-functional, and Adobe might decide not to provide a fix for it (with a danger that no clear competitive alternative will necessarily emerge in that event). However, Adobe also states that they have no plan to discontinue offering CS6 lifetime licenses, which suggests that they might continue to make compatibility upgrades. Or they could change their policy in the future to make future versions available by lifetime license. In any event, for the time being, I am happy with Illustrator CS6.
One person found this helpful
on July 20, 2014
No need to expand too much here, Adobe Illustrator is a live-saver, best tool for today's graphic designers. Must have it (and learn it!)
on April 23, 2015
Works great. Keeps me from having to buy into the heinous subscription model for Adobe software.
on December 30, 2013
This is a wonderful product, easy to create my art with this tool. Much better than the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.
Which I meant to give one star to.
on August 29, 2013
I've been using Illustrator since waaaay back when it was Illustrator 88. Obviously CS6 is a significant upgrade. The last version I used was CS1. Some of the features are in different places, but once I find them, they work even better. Definitely worth the price.
3 people found this helpful
on April 12, 2013
Trying to download illus CS6 was a nightmare. Downloading illustrator CS6 did not work--tell me how soon will it be delivered
7 people found this helpful
on November 13, 2012
Adobe continues their quest to force you to buy another "updated" version of their product. Is it worth it? No. Not even close. I've been using Adobe Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop for 8 years, and this is easily the most frustrating, buggy, and clunky version of Illustrator yet.

It seems like with each version of the Creative Suite (especially 4, 5, and 6) Adobe just adds on gimmicky functions rather that trying to fix quirks or bugs, or make file-incompatibility issues that basically continue to force you to buy the upgrades. This version seems less different than any of the others, they just make it look the most different by having the default interface darker (which I immediately changed back to light). Looks aside, I've found that any of the new features are either unnecessary or more annoying than helpful. Oh, you can have gradients on the stroke now? Whoop-de-do. Adobe hasn't really added anything noteworthy since adding some of the Photoshop Effects into Illustrator, and that was in pervious versions. And while I was initially excited that Illustrator adopted Freehand's multiple page idea in CS 4 or 5, they still haven't polished the idea well enough to make them worth using. Artboards are still too stupid to figure out what is on/off each artboard, rendering them useless half the time. Adobe doesn't fix or expand upon the few good ideas they introduce, they just add more stuff you'll never use.

Let's get to the bugs: This program is almost maddening to use (the only program that fairs worse in this version of CS is Bridge - which is barely usable). No matter how I set the cache or memory settings, after awhile of using the program, the zoom tool starts to lag. This leads it to take so long to do the command that it will actually forget the hot-key used to make it. For instance, I'll zoom out three times really fast using hot-keys and mouse clicks. It will take it so long to zoom out the first two clicks that it will actually zoom IN on the third click. The gradient tool does the same thing. Sometimes when you click and drag to start a gradient, it lags and only registers about halfway through, so the gradient starts nowhere near where you wanted it.
More:
-When you grab several items that include masked shapes, it will often not "let go" of one of the inner masked shapes. So even when you click off of the shape, the program still thinks one is selected. There will be a bounding box "selected" until you click all the way into the masked item in isolated view to select the actual item and then exit isolated view. This happens A LOT, and it becomes very, very frustrating and distracting. This was a problem in CS5 as well, and SURPRISE, Adobe didn't fix it.
-If you copy/paste an item from another file that uses spot colors, it will often add those spot colors into other files even if the shape you copied didn't use the spot colors at all.
-The control of grabbing points vs anchor points seems to have gotten worse. It's almost like the programs tries to grab the opposite of what you wanted.

I could go on. I use a very high-powered MacBook Pro, so there is no excuse for the program to have such glaring performance issues. Unless your printer/client is already on CS6 and needs file-compatibility on your end, avoid this as long as you can. I feel bad my company bought this one. Adobe should feel ashamed on releasing such a buggy, barely-functioning program.
44 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.