Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on July 13, 2017
This series is a tremendous waste of money. You'd think that "Classroom in a Book" would mean "If you read this book you'll learn how to use the software." Not even close. You would also think "If I have a question I'll be able to look up the answer." Not remotely true. This is actually a CD of sample projects with which you can follow along to see how they were created, in case you want to do something similar. The book is commentary on those sample projects. But if you want to learn how to do something specific, or look up how to use a certain feature, this book is useless. Many of the software features aren't even listed in the index.

Shortly after my purchase I had a long chat with an Adobe rep about my concerns regarding this product and he promised "I will go ahead and escalate the case to our relevant team who would be able to review this chat and get back to you with an appropriate resolution." They never contacted me. And while I was waiting to hear back from them, the return window expired, so now I have a very expensive paperweight. I am extremely disappointed in Adobe.
on September 6, 2013
I recently upgrade from Adobe CS2 to CS6. So much has changed since CS2 that I had to practically start over again learning all the software. I bought almost all the CS6 Web and Print books. I found this one to be the best. I hated the CIB Dreamweaver book but this one was well written and stepped me through just about everything. I was completely up to speed with CS6 after reading this book. However, Adobe has a great training site and you can download lessons for free. This is a great book to teach you InDesign as it steps you through how to use everything but if you don't want to spend the money, go to Adobe's site for free tutorials you can download and print out. What I don't like about the Classroom in the Book series these days (I have been using Adobe software for over two decades and buy a CIB book every few upgrades when things change drastically) is that they don't treat you like a beginner. They assume you should have used the software at some point already. I think a beginner can still do well with this book though. I have looked at many other software books over the years and find the Classroom in a Book series to still be the best.
on May 29, 2017
Great Buy... Will order this item again.
on May 5, 2014
Been using this for a few weeks now and find it very easy to use. It comes with a CD with two lesson files for each chapter: a starting and ending point. You can 'work' on the starting point and follow along and perform each task in a particular chapter. Depending on your experiene with Adobe products you don't necessarily have to do each chapter or follow in order, although that would be best if you are new to it. I like that you can refer to the table of contents and index if you want to learn a particular skill and go right to it. Well written and clear. This book makes it easy to learn this amazingly powerful program.
on May 26, 2017
Great purchase!
on January 25, 2013
I have used Adobe CIB books for years, going back to my personal favorite, PageMaker. The lessons are nicely "bite sized" and relatively complete for a single purpose. They "climb the ladder" from simple introduction all the way through "mastery" of the software.

I have had numerous times when "the stupid instruction didn't work" or "didn't make sense" to me... obviously those instances were just my failure to read carefully or to understand what they were trying to get me to do. It was working through those issues that produced the real experiential learning.

I only wish that other software providers would offer similar instructional tools. The world would, indeed, be a better place.
on December 13, 2012
I purchased this book for a class I was taking at a Junior College. The course was using the Adobe Indesign CS5 book but, the material covered in the course online was actually Adobe Indesign CS6. I compared the CS5 version book with the CS6 book and found the CS6 book contained important chapters that were not contained in the CS5 version.

I would recommend the Adobe CS6 Indesign version for anyone taking any current Indesign course. I am now starting courses at ASU and one class contains a portion of Adobe Indesign. I will use the CS6 Adobe book to use as reference material as I work through the book required for the ASU class.

Adobe's books are easy to use and understand.
on December 15, 2012
I last used inDesign some time ago so I was looking for an update to get me underway. At first I found the approach taken by the authors very pedantic and slow but things improved with time as I became used to the book and the programme. But the reason for only giving three stars is that when things went pear-shaped the book was very little use and I wasted considerable time searching for a solution to my problem. Eventually I found it, but not in the book. The book doesn't cope with the realities of day-to-day use.

In 2004 I bought "Adobe InDesign CS Bible" written by Galen Gruman for CS3. I am still looking for a replacement that deals with CS6 in a similar way.
on September 20, 2017
useful!
on March 23, 2015
The software was a bit more sophisticated than most I've previously used. Buying the book was (for me) a good investment. I'd give myself a C- my first time through the course - but I was in a hurry. I was designing a book for print and the software proved to be an invaluable resource.