Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 100 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 183 reviews
on November 30, 2007
This book reminds me of the old proverb, 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.' This book just throws some fish at you.

With that being said and the popularity of the book I guess a lot of people like being thrown fish. I wanted to learn to 'fish' but the book taught me little about 'fishing'.

I can say I did learn some stuff from the book and I was certainly glad I'd used Elements for a couple of years prior. The book is certainly not for newbies as it covers nothing about the many tools/options you have available in the toolbar other than in some contexts of creating a visual effect. I didn't see much in the book for a seasoned Photoshop user as only basic 'retouching' ideas are 'thrown' you.

I was particularly appalled when told to just use Adobe RGB as the color profile with no explanation other than sRGB is for the web. While I am no expert I do know there is a lot of talk/arguing in the industry about which you should/might use and the heart ache that Adobe RGB might cause you. There should have been some discussion on this topic, I don't need advice like this.

So, in my opinion, if you have played with Photoshop a little and are 'a learn by example' type of person then this book might be for you. If you want to learn about why you might grown/feather a selection, understand the various tool settings/options or learn anything remotely advanced I would look for another.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2007
While many have criticized Kelby's stylistic prose, the content in the book is very helpful and allows hobbiest to hard core professionals to produce beautiful images. I feel that this series will allow users to maximize their output in the least amount of time.

Compared to the CS2 version, there have been some improvements and additions (smart filters and portrait skin softening) with great images. There are some redundant chapters, but still worth it for beginners as well as a refresher for advanced users. I've read through most of the book, and while a few chapters are useful, my workflow has not significantly changed.

Those with the CS2 version, I'm less convinced that this is a must have upgrade. For those on the fence who don't have the CS2 version, go get it as it'll be the best $30 you'll spend.
on April 6, 2011
I've been using CS3 for about a year now learning by the seat of my pants. Some functions were logical...others like a foreign language. I decided it was probably time I invested in some training. So, I searched Amazon for a CS3 dummies book. After browsing the available options and reading the reviews, I bought Scott Kelby's book. I promptly received my book today. As usual, Amazon came through like a charm. I opened it to browse and quickly became enmeshed. The format is easy to follow and the pictures help clarify the steps. I'm only up to Chapter 2 and I've already learned so many things. I've had so many "ah ha" moments, I had to stop and write this review. And I rarely write reviews. Really!

If you're like me and think you'll figure it out by trial and error, bite the bullet and get this book! It will save you time and frustration. More importantly, it will help you become a better photographer. I'm new to SLR photography so the f stops etc. are intimidating to me. Scott's book quickly showed me how to decipher all the embedded information in each photo. Now I can compare photos and see what settings the camera selected in "auto" mode to get the best result. Understanding that information, I am learning to use my camera better. I haven't even gotten to editing the photos yet! I can't wait for that!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is brand new to CS3 or someone who has used CS3 and wants to take advantage of the many tools CS3 has to offer. What are you waiting for???
on October 4, 2009
A great book packed with essential tips and tricks.

My skill level is medium to advanced ... this book has taught me new techniques. For instance: Scott's method for finding neutral grays; fixing reflections in glasses; fixing group shots; how to use smart objects; their advantages and disadvantages; making me aware of the free Online Photo Gallery software that is available for CS3; and teaching me how to install and use it.

The book concentrates on the nitty-gritty with step-by-step illustrations. Basic stuff is ommitted so if you are not comfortable with layers then you may struggle. Chapters 1 & 2 deal with using Bridge. Chapter 3 goes into RAW processing. Chapters 4 - 11 (some 271 pages) is packed with techniques. Chapter 12 is great as it shows 10 techniques for presenting your work. Finally chapter 13 outlines Scott's personal workflow which gives you a useful insight to professional photography.

Laced throughout the book is Scott's zany humour. Some like it ... some don't. If you are in the latter camp don't read the first page of each chapter. In general the actual tutorials are free of it :)

Throughout the book Scott makes reference to other sources of material. For instance he refers to Dan Margulis's book "Photoshop LAB Color". If you only have a passing interest in LAB then Scott has effectively condensed Dan's book down to a series of steps that, if applied, will punch up the color of drab photos without the need to understand LAB curves. But if you want a complete understanding of LAB then read Dan's book or "Scott Kelbys 7-point system for Adobe Photoshop CS3".

The book gets 10 out of 10 for layout. The photos in the sidebars have been carefully chosen to not only illustrate the techniques being taught but to also give you ideas as to what can be achieved. A great source of ideas.

I don't have the latest version of CS4 but I am certain that the techniques shown in this book would apply.
on August 23, 2007
I recently completed a class at a local Art and Craft institution on Photoshop. It gave me a good foundation, but the version they used was CS. This book on CS3 has been an invaluable aid to me, building on what I learned in the class and also introducing features I didn't know existed. Some reviewers slam Kilby for his humor, I tend to agree there may be too much there for some people, but I also enjoyed the conversational tone and one on one feel of the author's writing. I found the book to be very informative and it will remain at the side of my workstation for a long time to come for reference as I am one who needs to repeat tasks several times to master and remember them. What is nice about this book is there are specific recommendations for different settings and techinques. Material you can actually use to make things work for you. Once you understand the process you can certainly vary the settings and experiment - which is what we all should do, but it's nice to have a really good place to start. All in all, a very good book for a serious photographer who is working on learning how to best utilize Photoshop.
on October 24, 2014
Of course, Kelby did it again. Love the steps that always start from step one to the last step. No starting on step three or five and then being told that the beginning of each lesson is on some previous page. I have used this book with CS3, but then I canned CS3 for Elements 10, which is almost as good as the pro versions. I unfortunately fell down the stairs carrying this book and it smacked down the stairs also and the pages loosened. They are loose from the binding and I still use the book all the time, wouldn't be without it. I also recommend digital photography 1 and 2 by Kelby. Great ideas.
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2008
This book has re-inspired me as a photographer. I have been a semi-pro photographer for about 10 years now. I dodged the digital revolution for more years than I should have. I only got into it in 2005. Before that I wouldn't even look at going digital. Until now I only used Photoshop for basic photo editing because other books I had bought just made the subject complicated. This book changed all of that. Those "complicated" techniques are illustrated beautifully in this book and the author makes it easy to duplicate the techniques outlined in the book. His approach is fantastic. He takes a photo, decides what is wrong, or right with it, and takes the reader through ALL of the steps needed to correct the photo. Then he shows you what the final product should look like.

I use this book nearly every day as a reference. If I have a photo that is underexposed, I simply turn to the section on exposure, follow the steps and I always come out with a better photo. Because of this book I am now going through all of my old photos and seeing what I can do to them to make them POP a little more and I can tell you that this book has saved some photos I thought were horrible, losses.

Get it!
on March 17, 2008
Unless you are already a professional, you will undoubtably find some tip in this book that will prove invaluable to making you a better Photoshop user. I have used Photoshop for many years but most of my knowledge was self taught or came from tips I had received from friends or seen in magazines. Most of Kelby's tips I had never seen or heard about before, and I would definitely have never figured them out just from playing around in Photoshop. These are tips using functions buried deep in Photoshop settings that an amateur would probably not understand, but Kelby describes them in easy to follow steps and the results are amazing.

Two of the more notable tips I picked up were image sharpening without creating additional color artifacts (by using a channel in Lab color mode) and also using Lab color to punch up dull color as a result of overcast lighting. Comparing two edited images from what I learned from this book as opposed to what I knew less than a week ago, I can truly see the differences.

You won't need to dedicate hours to reading and studying this book; simply choose an effect that you wish to learn from the Table of Contents and apply that effect to your image. This book will truly make you a better Photoshop user overnight!
on November 1, 2007
Scott Kelby is known for his good-natured, knowledgeable instructional books and reviews on things photographic, particularly Photoshop. With the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers, he scores another hit in his line of Photoshop how-to books. This book skips the mundane and goes right to the heart of what we all want to know about CS3. It is written in Scott's easy-going humorous style and packed with just about everything you'd want to know. The reader can start at page one and read to the end, or dip in and read a page here and a page there and benefit. I particularly liked the interview at the beginning of the book. A must-have for the Photoshopper's library.
on May 2, 2009
This book makes learning photoshop CS3 so easy! Each chapter is a lesson unto itself. I felt fairly secure in my knowledge of layers before purchasing this book, now I find I was barely using the basics! I was missing the full potential that I had available and didn't even know it! If you want to learn photoshop at home, on your computer, this is the book for you!