Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 11, 2013
I've read so many other Photoshop books before that I really didn't have hyperbolic expectations for this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's well-written and organized and includes very detailed descriptions and step-by-step instructions that are almost idiot-proof. As I'm familiar with CS5, I am reading this book in a rather piecemeal fashion but I'm constantly rewarded with finding out something new that I didn't realize CS6 could do. In fact, I'm even learning stuff about Photoshop in general that I probably should have known all along.
Steve Johnson has written an excellent Photoshop CS6 reference. It is so good (IMO) that it could be used as a basis for a Photoshop course.
I'll be looking for his other publications in the future.
on August 13, 2016
Not a good instruction book, in fact, useless. I'm an experienced and professional Photoshop user for over 20 years before I bought this book (I bought this book 2 or 3 years ago.) I bought it for picking up-to-date details, however I couldn't use it cos it just explains every term, not teaches you to use Photoshop. I tried to read a few times (2 or 3 years ago) but couldn't continue as I don't want to waste my time.
on December 20, 2012
I've been using Photoshop irregularly for about 5 yrs. as an enthusiast. I certainly agree with all reviewers that this book is an pretty exhaustive reference for everything in CS6. It can get you to what you need to do very quickly, assuming you know what it is you want to do. I feel like this is more of a quick reference guide than a usable how-to or creative resource.

I guess I was looking for a more engaging and demonstrative text along the lines of anything Bruce Fraser had a hand in. His works not only told you how to do something, but why and when. All mixed with some wry humor.

Still searching for the right resource for CS6. . .
on September 28, 2012
Photoshop is extremely hard and very confusing. The books I bought to help me do not make it easier what's so ever. When they tell you to go to create MASKS with sections, they need to tell you how to get there. They need more of a step by step in this books. I was expecting to be able to follow these books to guide me, but I did not get this in any of the photoshop books I purchased. the teachers don't give you an clue really, because they are to busy. I'm failing this class I'm very sad to say. I just don't know where to go half the time, when I do find it, there is so much and nothing really to explain it well enough to understand it. I have notice a few of the students complaining that the book just doesn't help at all. They are right, it doesn't, none of the books do.
on November 14, 2012
This book is one of the best technical book I have ever read, not only in terms of content, but in how the material is presented. And, the kindle version is even better especially if you can read it on a large screen computer like a 27 in iMac.
It is clear to me the book was reviewed and reviewed and organized to present the information clearly with ample cross referenced numbered sequences that show the order of execution for complex operations that match the written text. The numbers are great because you can easily see what the author is talking about as the numbers are big and easy to find on the diagrams. Very nicely done.
on November 11, 2012
First, if you have any doubts about this book and your level of expertise, do yourself a favor and get a different book -- one by Scott Kelby and NAPP. Also please read all reviews with three stars or less.

The idea that this is a great book for beginners is laughable.

I have been using Photoshop Elements for over a year and am quite proficient with it. I decided to upgrade to CS6 and purchased this book to help me get up to speed. When I got it and saw the organization and general layout, I was very impressed. When I began actually reading it, I was stunned by the number of inaccuracies and outright dumb things that were said in just the first few pages. I was also surprised that the introduction was written as if the reader had no previous knowledge of what Photoshop even does and then immediately started using Photoshop terminology without any explanation or definition.

Also the location of menu items, panels, etc was never disclosed in any of the examples. You were just instructed to start with a particular selection.

I then started jumping around the book to see if the rest was any better. I chose topics in which I had some background. None of the topics was handled clearly and somethings were just mystifying. In one example on vector masks in which the entire image was text, the font was changed from the first image to the second, but the font was not at all relevant to the lesson and the change was never noted in any way. I found the same senseless change of font in several other examples. In another example the image being discussed was under-exposed the first two times that it was shown and properly exposed the third time. The lesson had nothing to do with exposure. I would love to list all the inaccuracies and mistakes that I found but I would be up all night just listing them. Any beginner would be totally baffled by these things or would just give up.

There just isn't any excuse for this type of careless writing.
33 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2013
Very easy to follow - well illustrated in text and graphics - either a quick reference to find how to use a tool or an in depth training manual. Have used Photoshop for years but not used all of its power so have found the book exciting trying out new tools I have never used before because I have not had the time to explore. Been a Professional Photographer for 50 years so now have a little time on my hands even though still working professionally at what I enjoy.
on April 30, 2013
This textbook is a great resource for students or anyone who is looking to do something specific in Photoshop. This book is also great as it explains the process in the MAC and Windows platforms.
on November 20, 2012
Helpful, but a bit cluttered. I've been able to find info on everything I've gone to it for, so far.

I don't know if the problem is the book or Photoshop itself, but it all seems much too cluttered and difficult to do simple photo editing.
on May 28, 2013
I went from knowing virtually nothing about Photoshop to being able to use competently with this book. The book was not easy or quick to get through, but if you have the determination and time you can use to access Photoshop's full suite of features.