Oil month Automotive World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on March 18, 2011
I've used two tutorial books for Lightroom 3 - this one and the one by Scott Kelby. I find the classroom in a book much easier to use in that it's clearer and far more concise in content and presentation. Kelby's book is full of bad humor that I find rather charming but he bounces all over the place with alternative ways of doing things. He'll explain a process then then jump into several other ways of doing it that I find very confusing. Classroom in a book sticks to the fundamentals and doesn't go into 'oh by the way, here are four other ways of doing this'. My goal is to work on my pictures not become a geek of all things Lightroom. That said there are times when I've referred to Kelby's book when Classroom presents a process that appears cumbersome (rarely happens) to find a different avenue.

In a nutshell Classroom in a Book is clear, concise, easy to follow and has good examples of how everything works laid out in a logical working process. I'm glad I bought it.
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Makeupon February 5, 2012
Let's first clear up why I gave this basically excellent book only four stars instead of five: On page 2, the reader is instructed to "create a new folder named LR3CIB inside the username/My Documents (Windows)...folder." For Vista (and possibly Windows 7 systems), these instructions are incorrect. Therefore, many readers/first-time Lightroom 3 users will be subjected to a major problem.

I managed to correct this issue by checking another source and by using some common sense: If you have a Vista (or, maybe, Windows 7) system, the LR3CIB folder must be created in your PICTURES folder (username/Pictures). Be aware that there MAY be errors associated with other operating systems about where to create this folder, but using a bit of common sense will quickly resolve the matter.

Other than the above (which I consider to be a major snafu because it will prevent Lightroom 3 from functioning correctly) the book is nothing less than excellent: It comes with a CD that contains approximately ten well-laid-out lessons: During the lessons, readers are led step-by-step through the various processes of Lightroom 3, using beautiful photos that have been provided. These hands-on lessons are an excellent feature. Good job, Adobe!

Classroom in a Book contains 325 pages (excluding the table of contents and the index) of easy-to-understand instructions with accompanying pictures for visual learners. Its ten chapters contain all the information you'll need to create fabulous photos during your post-editing process.

The definite learning curve associated with Lightroom 3 is unquestionably eased by the use of this book (with the exception of the initial error. Yikes!).

Bottom line: If you can get beyond that mistake mentioned above, you will definitely appreciate this book!
This is a good book if you are looking for a detailed tutorial for most of the features in Lightroom, but I would not try to use it as a reference manual. Those looking for an expanded reference manual will be disappointed, but those looking for a great tutorial will be delighted (especially those who aren't that great at just figuring everything out for themselves by tinkering with the software).

I'm actually pretty good at just figuring things out myself, and I've been using Lightroom for a while based on that learning technique, but I figured that I'd get this book to make sure that I didn't miss anything and was making full use of the software I paid for.
on August 17, 2015
Not intuitive. Difficult to use. The same editing features are available in less costly, easier to use software.
on December 29, 2011
To the point:

Lesson one is a quick overview that will get you up and running. The next chapters are in greater detail.

If you want a no nonsense book that gives you the basics, and more, then this is your book. Is it the best? I really can't answer that. Is is a good buy? It is a great start. It was a good investment.
on February 15, 2012
I wanted to learn photoshop so I bought both adobe photoshop CS 5 and Lightroom. They are a perfect combination but since I had never used a photoshop program I did need to buy books to help me understand how to use them. This is a wonderful way to catalog your photographic files - Highly recommend
on July 9, 2013
For clarity, I'll let you know that I bought this book from one of Amazon's other vendors and I bought it used (cheap). When I buy books at used prices, I don't expect much more than to be able to read them. I expect torn and tattered pages and no extras. I was pleasantly surprised that this came through in almost perfect condition and the CD pack in back had not even been opened! My compliments.
on July 20, 2015
Very informative
on December 17, 2015
No problems
on December 10, 2010
As for self paced, self educate books, in my opinion this is an A+. The 2 biggest things that set it apart: the publication is written by the Adobe team who wrote the software, they have kept the photographer/artist and their workflow or artistry in mind throughout the book, additionally, and really foremost, the CD-ROM included is essential. It gives you real and great, but not overwhelming photos to work with in every lesson that let you experiment and play. My point is that it is not a rigid lesson plan, it is quite flexible and really nudges you into learning the finer points of the software with real situations. Photography in its very core is creative and the Adobe products have become an industry standard in unleashing one's creativity and this "Classroom in a Book" is a fine example of their commitment to that. I highly recommend it to anyone new to the Lightroom product.