The Adventures of Francis the Talking Mule, Vol. 1 (Francis the Talking Mule / Francis Goes to the Races / Francis Goes to West Point / Francis Covers the Big Town)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The transfers were OK by me, but I'm no expert. It looked clean.
While I've seen these movies since I was a kid, and always loved them, I was surprised to see who some of the secondary actors turned out to be. In the first movie there's Tony Curtis. In the third one, there's David Janssen and Leonard Nimoy.
This was a formulaic series of films, but they had their hearts in the right place. Francis is an always entertaining guardian angel with a little bit of attitude. And Chill Wills managed to get several octaves in on almost every line, which brought a hee-haw effect to his speech. It's... endearing.
Donald O'Connor is definitely believable as Pete. He's a hoot. Maybe someday that character will actually get it, and won't need Francis to take care of him any more.
Interestingly, on the "Singin' in the Rain" 50th anniversary DVD, Donald O'Connor says that the reason that he's not in the big finale production number is that the studio sent him off to make another Francis movie (West Point, I think). Because I cherish Francis so, that's just fine by me.
Also, the first 3 films actually have continuity, mentioning things from previous adventures. That's kind of nice.
Perhaps they'll release the rest of them on DVD, and I can tell you why Mickey Rooney just couldn't quite make it work. No offense to Mickey, of course. It's just that Donald O'Connor is the one and only real pal to my favorite mule.
Long Live Francis!!!
Volume 1 - is for full-length movies
1. Francis the Talking Mule
2. Francis goes to the Races
3. Francis goes to West Point (with William Reynolds and small part by Leonard Nemoy)
4. Francis Cover the Big Town
They are Black and White - for those unfamiliar with the Francis movies, though later ones were in colour.
So pop the popcorn, kick back and let the whole family have a wee giggle at Wills and O'Connell's antics.
Universal has in the past, put out some pretty shoddy products. But this time, I have to hand them credit. The transfers are great! About my only complaint would be lack of any extras or trailers.
Hopefully, a volume 2 is in the works....with the widescreen movies in the series in proper aspect ratio.
All in all, this set is highly recommended!
Staci Layne Wilson
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love this show. I would like all of the Francis the talking Mule tapes.Published 1 month ago by Henry H. Mccawley Jr.
My dad was thrilled with this item. Brought back many memories!Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer
Not quite as funny as when I was a child. Episodes are short - the way they used to be back in the 1950's. I loved to immitate him in the opening.Published 14 months ago by Toe Nurse
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Classics > Silent Films
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Kids & Family