Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Adventures in Prayer
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

100%
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on March 25, 2000
All of my Christian walk I've known about prayer; been a part of prayer-chains, prayed when I didn't know what else to do, and have even experienced answers to prayer. Deep in my heart I've always felt that there was something more. At times, I'd wonder, why pray if God is going to carry out His will anyway? How does prayer work or change anything? This book by Catherine Marshall was an answer to those cries of my heart. She has a gift in making things easy to read. Bringing our lofty ideas back to the simplicity of asking our Father for help. To be able to lay my heart, my desires, and even fears or frustrations out before Him and to know I'm not going to be turned away. That is what this book has done for me. In times past, when struggling, I may have even scorned the simplicity or prayer, but now because of Catherine's insight, it's that very humble simplicity I can see that I've needed all along. Does your son or daughter share with you their hopes, dreams and fears? Do they come to you when their struggling, and today they can't seem to keep their shoes tied? Are they older, do they ask for your opinion on which job they should take, or what kind of insurance should they get? Would you try to lead them astray or give them bad advice? Of course not! And that is part of the beauty of what Catherine Marshall has written here. She shows us how we being imperfect still desire to give our children our very best, how much more so, does our God, our creator, our Father want to give us that which is good for us and will bring Him glory. Her book, Adventures in Prayer, has helped me to see the cynical place my heart had come to concerning prayer. This book has rekindled a passion in me to draw near to my Lord again. And to know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that each time I come to Him in prayer, it's because I know He was pursuing me, wooing me, calling me to have communion with Him. How simple! How wonderful! That is why I've come to Amazon to order this book for several friends. When I shared with them some parts of this book, they immediately wanted to get the book. We have searched many book stores and Amazon is one of the only places I can find it available anymore. Thank you~
on August 30, 2001
This is one of the most helpful books on prayer I have ever read. Catherine Marshall demonstrates the magnificent simplicity of prayer and shares with her readers the truth in how to engage in several types of prayer including The prayer of Helplessness, The Waiting Prayer, and The Prayer That Helps Your Dreams Come True. Don't let the outdated cover deter you. It's as relevant as ever!
on October 22, 2003
Catherine Marshall's legacy is rich and full. She left us so much wisdom on the permanent things. Her prayer journals and other writers are those of a serious inquirer. She never claimed to have all the answers. Some of her questions remained unanswered in her personal life. But she also discovered some profound spiritual insights on her journey. Fortunately for us she put what she discovered in writing.
This book equates prayer with adventure. When reading it you will see why. It convinces you of the practicality of prayer.
God is the source of creativity, goodness, wisdom, and every other positive imaginable (and even unimaginable). This book helps one to realize the way to connect with that Source is through prayer in Jesus' name.
on September 20, 2001
I thought I knew how to pray until I read this book. It gave me so much peace and it helped me realise that if ever I have a problem and it worries me then I just have to turn the problem over to God. He can deal with it. I now appreciate people better and praying for other people is so easy and fulfilling. I now have a light spirit and I bless the lady who gave me the book to read.
on September 23, 2009
"Adventures in Prayer" is a remarkably helpful book. In her writing, Catherine Marshall couples great simplicity with the authority of personal experience. Like many of us, she struggled with prayers that seemed to go unanswered. But through her struggles she learned a lot about what prayer is really all about, and she shares some of those lessons with us in this book. The importance of admitting our helplessness, getting in touch with our deepest dreams, of waiting with persistence, of relinquishing our demands on God, of secrecy, of laying hold of specific promises from God's Scripture are all there. But underlying all is a deep cognizance that in praying we can approach God as we would a loving parent who is completely trustworthy.

For people who are less interested in theory and more interested in lessons from real life, this book is highly to be recommended.
on April 11, 2013
I've read every Catherine Marshall book I could find, and have enjoyed them all. She writes in a down-to-earth style about God - which is good because I'm not in heaven yet and want to communicate with Him while here.
on January 18, 2011
Over the years, I have bought and given away many copies of this small book. Adventures in Prayer is packed with simple but profound stories from Catherine Marshall's past. The lessons and prayers are timeless and filled with hope. This is a valuable tool for all seekers of God's love,guidance, and encouragement.
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2014
Catherine Marshall died a number of years ago. This book is copyrighted 1975. I first bought the book soon after it was first published, but lost my copy over the years. I wanted to read it again so bought another copy. There are only a handful of books on prayer that I would consider reading a second or, in this case, third time. These are actually personal stories of progress she was able to make in her life through her prayers. A very simple read, but still helpful.
on February 4, 2015
Loved it! Especially the chapter on Prayer of Relinquishment. Although she has been gone these many years, her advice and observations are up to the moment and helpful in so many current situations.
on December 2, 2011
Adventures in Prayer make prayers a totally new experience with new ways to walk the old road of prayers! From a cloudy sky to a bright blue 'Open Heaven' just to enjoyed in the intimacy of the hour! Love it!!