Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24 reviews
on January 10, 2014
I teach computers to 3rd-8th graders. As our STEM effort, we do Scratch and (of course) Minecraft. This book caught my eye because it unites these with a cool, inexpensive hardware component (the Pi) as well as introductory Python and Turtle programming. Kids at this level can benefit most from a smorgasbord of brief introductory activities that hold their interest, rather than an in-depth programming or robotics course. This book is a great collection of entrees for just that purpose.
on June 6, 2014
I like the way this book is organized and takes the young learner through a variety of different projects that can be done on the Raspberry Pi. It's amazingly versatile. It also works well for us that one of the early sections includes Pi work on Scratch, which we're already somewhat familiar with, so it's a good door for us.
on January 27, 2015
The book is well written and I love Philbin's youtube work. I heard her mention the book, immediately came to Amazon to purchase it...held up only to the fact that I saw a 2nd edition is soon to be released. I waited a couple weeks & still no 2nd edition, so I pulled the trigger.

I now wish that I had used those couple weeks to check it out from the library.

I feel like my biggest issue is the fact that there were many terms that were technical enough that my 10 year old couldn't read the book herself. While I normally would accept any retort concerning the targeted age group, in this case I cannot accept any notion of my 10 year old not being able to read this...she has read books since she was 2 years old, she tested at an 8th grade reading level in Kindergarten, and could have tested higher but the elementary schools are only capable of testing at the middle school level. The girl can read...and definitely at the level of an 11 year old.

My second issue was concerning the claims of 9 awesome projects. My count is really only 5 projects, if you really stretch your definition of project, I can accept a count of 7 projects. But there is in no way 9 projects in this book. And that's not including my thoughts on the word awesome since it's too subjective a subject to really broach. But if you asked me about the count of awesome projects, it's more like 2-3 awesome projects for a kid in the target demographic of 11-15 years old.

I felt like there was a lot of time wasted in setup, the first two 'projects' are devoted to getting to know the pi and they were essentially completely covered in a 10 minute youtube video.

Other than that, like I said, it was well written, I love the level of detail, and the path that it begins young children down. For that I can't give it a negative review, but to that end, the book is over priced in my opinion.
on January 4, 2014
I follow the author on YouTube and was excited to see she published a book. The book is an engaging read - which is rare for a technical book. The book also includes several projects from simple to complex so you can build your skill level and design your own projects using your new skills. I'm looking forward to the sequel!
on September 26, 2014
Even old retiree with below average IQ can follow along and prepare to teach the grandchildren.
on January 23, 2015
A great place to start the adventure. I got this book to start learning about coding with my 6 yo son. We have been gathering everything and will start running the projects quite soon. Nice descriptions and clear protocols to create different modules with your Raspberry Pi.
on April 1, 2014
Very well written. Although I am not a student, I am a teacher and plan to use the information with my students. It is presented in a manner that is easy to understand and pass along.
on June 15, 2014
This is a great attempt to reach a multi-age audience. I used this book with freshman high school age students in introductory course. We were all learning together, and this provided a strong framework of practical lessons to get started.
With the proliferation of online tutorials and ideas, the paper book version was our solid 'goto'.

Generally it is fun and very well organized. Screenshots, photos, tips and software commands are embedded in the running text and instructions.

The text is upbeat and friendly!
on March 4, 2014
I am using this book with a Computer Science class I will be teaching next year. This book is beautifully sequenced with a variety of engaging lessons that are not only fun, but teach important programming skills.
on July 13, 2014
A very easy read, good book for adults too...;)