Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 1, 2018
We ordered the Alice in Wonderland with the green leather cover. I thought it was difficult to tell which reviews went with which versions. I'm really glad we grabbed this version, the cover (despite the ugly green color) is quite beautiful with embossed lettering and shiny red roses and border. The edge of the pages are golden, there is a red ribbon for marking your page. All of the original artwork is presented, and the page layouts are perfect. The front and back cover have a vivid full color painting of the tea party. If you are looking for a high quality version of the book, I couldn't recommend this one more. The size is medium. It is half way between the size of a paperback and a hard cover text book.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2017
SHAME ON AMAZON! Once again they have put reviews of a variety of Alice editions together without any regard to the volume in question. This is not a pop-up, not a coloring book, does not lack illustrations, is not small, and is not specifically intended for young children. This is an annotated edition meant to inform and entertain older readers with a variety of illustrations including the black and white originals. For those who wish to know the tale behind the jokes and puzzles a must. Other readers may wish a more streamlined edition or a modern 'retelling' with colored illustrations by contemporary artists. I'm sure they'll find a review for all versions in this hodgepodge.
on August 27, 2016
This is incredible! Absolutely beautiful.. Extended my expectations!! I have seriously never seen a more beautiful book! The detail is awesome and even the story itself is from the original Lewis Carroll version. Not only is each page a beautiful pop up.. But each page has mini fold out pages with more pop up artwork. This will be a keepsake for our family. SO glad I bought this and will look at buying others!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 6, 2013
I took a gamble on buying this edition when no one had reviewed it yet. I tried several other Kindle editions available and had found them truly appalling in terms of formatting. This however, is significantly better, featuring well structured chapter breaks and all the original illustrations, which enhance the story a lot.

Furthermore, considering it contains both books, plus the excellent Hunting of the Snark, it is a fantastic price.

However, there are still some glaring mistakes, such as some formatting bugs in a few of the poems and spelling errors in places (such as at the start of Looking Glass, where some of the Ls are replaced with 1s - I guess a scanner did the 'writing here').

5 stars for the great price and superior formatting over the other options. -1 star for the glaring lack of proof reading from the publisher.
11 comment| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 21, 2015
Bought it in the hardcover. My girlfriend loves alive in wonderland! And has Dali paintings all around the house. When she saw they were coming out with this illustrated edition She had to have It!
So on our anniversary I looked and looked. I found it here! I couldn't have been more happy about my purchase, and my girlfriend was absolutely overwhelmingly ecstatic and loves it. Amazing in every way
11 comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2016
I don't always like annotated editions, but I bought this one because both stories were included and it retains all of the original illustrations like the ones I remember reading as a child. Having said that, I enjoyed the illustrations by other artists included for historical context. Some of them are quite stunning, in fact. The thing I hate about annotated editions is the way the annotations create visual "clutter." Yes, that is the case here as well. I really have to force my slightly OCD-like mind to ignore that and concentrate on the text of the story. However, as a history buff, I enjoy reading the annotations from a historical perspective. It's a big book, so if you enjoy a hefty hardcover, this is the one for you.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 21, 2017
I bought Ingpen's lavishly illustrated volumes for my son. I think they'd be most children's favourites, and the pictures match Carroll's text so well! Ingpen isn't my favourite illustrator for every story. But for Alice, he's just right. Absurd illustrations make 'Alice' even more trippy for older/daring readers. But to a sensitive young child, bizarre pictures may turn a challenging but rewarding story downright disturbing. Ingpen's understated, accurate art illuminates the text while sating and soothing the senses. Ingpen's are my favourite images because they seem most 'real'--the way a 7-year-old child would have dreamed them, the way I pictured the words when I read them to myself at that age. They're well-made books too, with thick, durable uncoated paper. You'll want to cover your dust jackets, though; the covers are quite plain.
Wonderland: ISBN-10: 1402768354 ISBN-13: 978-1402768354
Looking Glass: ISBN-10: 0957148399 ISBN-13: 978-0957148390

"The Complete Alice: with the Original Illustrations by Sir John Tenniel in Full Colour" is my pick of editions with Tenniel's classic (and brilliant!) illustrations. Full colour adds so much! This is a beautifully designed book for the most part. I just find it too WHITE! I understand why they went with a white cover, but they really should have found a way to make red work. I object on historical, artistic, & practical grounds. The inside has the same problem: too much white space to even look right. I wish they'd either kept the print & picture size the same but made the book smaller & less cumbersome, or else enlarged the printed portion to use more of each oversized page. Still, it's a pretty impressive presentation. After hours of research & comparison, this (ISBN-10: 1627794352 ISBN-13: 978-1627794350) it's the copy I chose for my daughter. That says a lot, considering how frustrated I am with some of the publisher's choices!

Adult fans & older children might share my enjoyment of John Vernon Lord's interpretations.

Since Alice can seem quite a daunting book to the target-aged independent reader, I love the idea of publishing 'Alice' in a boxed set of 22 miniature hardcover volumes. Imagine a fancy shoebox of sturdy, tiny Alice books on your child's shelf at home, or second-graders racing each other for the next volume at school! Unfortunately, Oxenbury's illustrations practically ruin the story. The modernization of Alice wasn't the big issue for me. The problem is far more serious: Oxenbury's artwork does not match the tone of Carroll's story AT ALL. I adore some of Oxenbury's books--and the pictures in this one are cute, too. I don't think Oxenbury was trying to make any statement. (If so, it doesn't work.) It seems she just didn't adapt her style to the author's. I wish someone else would give this concept a try. Little kids may be too intimidated to even start a long classic, because they fear 'failure'. Contrariwise, the success of finishing one short (yet respectable) book just makes them eager to read the next! But the illustrations have got to work.
on July 23, 2017
This review is specifically for the penguin hardcover cloth-bound classics edition (white with pink flamingos)!

Naturally, the tale of Alice in Wonderland (told in two books; Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass) is definitely a fun, unique tale that appeals to children and adults alike, so of course I wanted to own a quality copy of it! I like how this edition contains both books and is hardcover with a simple cover design that looks timeless and elegant on my bookshelf. The book is full of useful notes and information in edition to having the tale; plus it contains the classic illustrations too! The paper is very high quality, the printing very attractive, and overall it was well worth the $10 I spent on it. I thought it was such an attractive edition that I bought one for my sister, who is a collector of the various editions of this tale. I've no complaints except that I don't really care for how rough the fabric is; it's not very nice to hold in your bare hands in my opinion, and it makes a sound when it's placed on the shelf next to other cloth-bound hardcovers from the penguin classics series, so those are two things to keep in mind. I personally would have preferred either a softer fabric or for the books to have been bound in hard-backed pleather.
on March 1, 2016
Beware readers, there is confusion here in readers' reviews: book and Kindle edition reviews are mixed together. This is the Calla edition of the timeless classic for more than a century of Reverend Dodgson's Alice. There have been countless editions and with illustrations. Folio published the original handwritten manuscript now preserved at the British Museum. Those illustrations are not in color. There is a beautiful very expensive Easton Press edition with Arthur Rackham's color illustrations. As expensive is Folio's upcoming Alice with a modern illustrator. Someone has written that the book uses strange words. The book is a fable; a classic nonsense novel. It is a dream of a young girl. Not any book before or since has captured the juvenile fancies as much. I have many modern and old illustrated versions of this book. Yes I am over 70 years old and I can still immerse myself into this. I don't know how, but I did not know about Calla editions until recently. I am overjoyed. These are moderately priced, wonderfully produced books. I, like some of other readers, found Dover paperbacks not only inexpensive but covering books that have long been out of print such as Varney the Vampire; Loveday Brooke, Detective and many others. I am catching up on buying the other Calla editions.
This one is so good: the wrap around illustrations almost evoke illuminated manuscripts.
The Cheshire Cat. Down the rabbit hole. Mad hatter. Curiouser and curiouser. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Even if you have never read "Alice in Wonderland," some part of its charmingly nonsensical story has probably slipped into your head over the years. Lewis Carroll's classic fantasy tale is a dreamlike adventure that breezily eschews plot, character development and any kind of logic... and between his cleverly nonsensical writing ("I daresay it's a French mouse, come over with William the Conqueror") and surrealist adventures, it is absolutely perfect that way. How many books can say that?

A bored young girl named Alice is by a riverbank when a White Rabbit runs by, fretting, "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!" and checking the watch from his waistcoat. Unsurprisingly, Alice pursues the rabbit down a rabbit-hole... and ends up floating down a deep tunnel to a strange place full of locked doors. There's also a cake and a little bottle with labels instructing you to eat or drink them, which cause Alice to either shrink or grow exponentially.

As she continues pursuing the rabbit (who seems to think she's someone named Mary Ann), Alice quickly discovers that Wonderland is a place where logic and reason have very, very little influence -- talking animals in a Caucus-race, a hookah-smoking Caterpillar, even more bizarre growth potions, a grinning cat, the Duchess and her indestructible pig-baby, eternal tea-time with the March Hare and the Mad Hatter (plus the Dormouse), and finally the court of the Queen and King of Hearts.

"Alice in Wonderland" is one of those rare books that actually is more enjoyable and readable because it's pure nonsense, without more than a shred of plot or even proper narrative structure. The entire story is essentially Alice wandering from one wacky scenario to another in Wonderland, meeting more violently weird people with every stop and finding herself entangled in all sorts of surreal situations. It doesn't really lead anywhere, or come from anywhere.

And yet, this works perfectly -- it's all about nonsense, and a coherent plot or developed characters would get in the way of that. Never has such a perfect depiction of a weird dream been turned into fiction, especially since Alice regards everything that happens with a sort of perplexed detachment. Even though NOTHING in Wonderland makes sense (vanishing cats, talking animals, arguing playing-cards painting roses, the Hatter convinced that it is six o'clock all day every day), she addresses everything with a sense of bemused internal logic ("I've had nothing yet, so I can't take more").

And Carroll festoons this wacky little tale with puns ("We called his Tortoise because he taught us"), odd snatches of mutilated poetry ("Twinkle, twinkle, little bat/how I wonder what you're at") and tangled snarls of eccentric logic that only works if you're technically insane (so... flamingoes are like mustard?). This keeps the plotless story as sparkling and swift-moving as a mountain stream laced with LSD, so the mind never has a chance to get bored by Alice simply wandering around, growing and shrinking, and engaged in a string of conversations with loopy people.

"Alice in Wonderland" is a mad, mad, mad, mad experience -- and between Carroll's sparkling dialogue and enchantingly surreal story, it's also a lot of fun. Never a dull moment... except the wait to read "Through the Looking Glass."