Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker
Style Name: AeroPress|Change

on March 10, 2016
Stop what you're doing and make note of the date and time.

Then, buy this.

Your life will never be the same.

I can't really think of anything to say that hasn't been said before, but this is basically the iPhone of the coffee world. It changes the game:

1) Easy to use, easy to clean, doesn't require elaborate rituals
2) Makes REALLY GOOD coffee, that can be easily adjusted to suit your taste
3) It's FREAKING CHEAP compared to owning a whole counter full of coffee appliances (trust me, I've been there)
4) It's portable. You can take it on trips, use it in hotels. You can take it camping, hunting, or fishing. You can take it to your office. In fact, I bought a second one for my office. This thing can make the best coffee anywhere you have boiling water.

I'm going to keep this brief, because. Really. Just buy it already. The more time you spend reading this, the longer until Aeropress changes your life.

UPDATED - Okay, it's been maybe 4 months since I bought my first Aeropress. I liked it so much I got another one for my office. The first Aeropress has had maybe 500 cups through it, the second maybe 100. The problem is, the seal on that first unit is totally, completely shot. You can't even really push down on it, or air burps past the plunger. Worse, sometimes hot coffee makes it past, and spurts out the top all over your hand. This started a few weeks ago and has gotten steadily worse.

Googling, it looks like this does happen to people from time to time, and Aerobie do make a replacement part, but apparently you have to call and order it - it's not available on Amazon or Aerobee's website that I can find.

I don't mind replacing a worn out part, but this thing is 4 months old. There's only two coffee drinkers in my house. Yeah, we both drink a lot of coffee, but there's two of us. Two people wearing out a coffee appliance in 3 or 4 months is kind of ridiculous. I don't know how much the seals cost, but I am probably going to ask for several. I'm not going to stop using this, and I do still believe it's the single best way to make coffee, but I am pretty disappointed. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I'll report back in a few months when the second unit has a similar volume through it, or once the first one hits the next ~500 cups. In the meantime, I'm sadly deducting a star from my prior 5 star rating.

UPDATED AGAIN - 6 months (roughly) later. The high-use unit at home is juuuuust starting to wear out again. It's been a little more robust this time but is still starting to wear. The lower-use unit at my office is still going strong on it's first rubber bit. It looks like the rubber part has a useful life of maybe 750-1,000 cups of coffee. For some people that's gonna be years maybe? For us, it's not very long. I still love this thing, I'm still gonna keep using it, but I'm still slightly disappointed. They should just bundle the rubber part with the filters. It's a little annoying to order, there is apparently one online source in Canada or you can call (yes, CALL on a phone - no online ordering) the manufacturer.

Also, I want to share a useful tip. Once the rubber seal does start to wear, if you soak it in very hot water for a minute before use, it sometimes rejuvenates it and lets it seal. So, even once it's worn you can kind of still use it, but with an extra step that only works some of the time.
462 people found this helpful
|1818 comments|Report abuse
on January 10, 2016
It was the year 2015, Christmas Day. The presents were wrapped under the tree. My wife sat on the couch, notoriously hard to buy presents for. She's also a little bit of a self-confessed hipster coffee snob. I say that affectionately, and I think she's self-aware enough to agree with me on that. We have a french press, a stovetop espresso percolator, and now the AeroPress. Did we need another coffee-making device? Some would say no.

I said yes.

Okay, enough backstory. Down to the deets. She loves it! This coffee maker is so fun! Really, I love making coffee with this thing. It's so fast and easy to make the perfect espresso. So easy and quick to clean as well. You can make your coffee, clean it, and put it all back neatly in about 2 minutes. I'm not joking. It's made to last, too. Every piece of the kit is well made, and I can't imagine any of it breaking unless I ran over it in my truck. But I wouldn't do that because it would be #wasteful. I'm going to start taking this thing to work as well. Don't tell my wife. I'll also be taking this thing camping this summer because it's going to be perfect for that too. I'll also be taking it with me on any work trips I have to take. That sounds a little extreme, but I really love this thing!

Pros:
+ Quality product
+ Great tasting espresso
+ Easy to clean
+ Fun to use
+ Look like a cool hipster when you make it this way
+ It all fits together neatly when you put it away

Cons:
- Not glass, so I sometimes wonder if any of the flavor is tainted by the plastic heating up.

Our french press has been put back in the cabinet, and the espresso percolator has been shelved like a forgotten childhood toy. I paid full price for this product, and would happily pay full price again for a second one! [...]
418 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on September 14, 2014
I've been making coffee by using a #4 cone filter inside a stainless steel funnel. But everyone kept talking about how much better coffee could be, and the Aeropress was one of the most mentioned and reviewed tools. At $25 on Amazon, requiring no power and coming with a set of 350 filters (almost enough for a year), I bought one.

The instructions seemed easy enough. Put a filter in, put what seems like an incredible amount of coffee in, pour some luke warm water into the coffee, stir, and then press it out. I tried it, and the first cup of coffee came out strong, but oh wow, also incredibly bitter. So did the second cup. I looked online, since one of the reviews said that the whole point of using something like this was to extract flavor without bitterness, but I wasn't getting the expected results. It turns out that you're supposed to stop before the last foamy bit of coffee gets pressed out of the filter. That's the bitter part. This wasn't part of the printed instructions, or any of the videos I saw on the internet, so I'm glad I searched rather than just sending the Aeropress back.

I tried making a few cups this way, and indeed, the coffee tastes good. It's still stronger, but the bitterness was gone and it tasted very smooth. I was impressed. I didn't think that it was that much of an improvement over the cone filter inside a stainless steel funnel, however, so this morning I gave the Aeropress a pass and went back to that instead, intending to send back the Aeropress if I couldn't tell any difference with the result.

Instead, I got, "Yuck. What's this? Water with coffee flavor?" It does seem like the press did make a huge improvement, and I could no longer go back to the old way of doing things. Hence, I give the Aeropress a recommended rating. Just don't let any of the foam out of the inner tube, or you'll get a very bitter cup.
198 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 14, 2017
 I have been using this for about 6 months. It was great for the first 3-4 months, but the rubber on the plunger deteriorated very quickly and now it is really loose, leaks, and the weight of the cylinder (the other side) just slides down.

The video shows how it drops and won't seal. There are two pictures showing the degradation of the rubber (after less than 4 months of use), and how the water starts to leak past the seal.

I bought this because a co-worker brought one to work. It seals fantastically! It was an old one that he had had for years, and it has been in the office for over a year. I use it everyday and the plunger is hard to put in the cylinder, seals well, and the whole system works great! Why do the newer ones break down so easily?
review imagereview image
34 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on October 24, 2017
As of now, I have a "proper" espresso machine, a french press, a Nespresso machine, a Dolce Gusto Machine and a Mr Coffee drip machine... Yeah I know!

It's a tight fight for top spot between the Nespresso and the Aeropress.

My conclusions as an owner of way too many machines are:

- I hate my espresso machine. I just hate all the faffing around in order to get my caffeine dosis. Just get one if you are really serious about becoming a coffee nerd. Or like me you want to use it as a kitchen feature to appear way more interesting that you actually are.

- French press: My best friends through uni, but now that I found a proper job, I thought I deserve to have coffee without the constant risk of gagging because I forgot that the last 5% of my cup of coffee tastes disgusting.

- Nespresso: Beautiful, practical, George Clooney, smaller than the other similar machines, Impossible to screw up, but EXPENSIVE! sure, not as expensive as buying coffee at a shop but surely the most expensive of the lot in the long run.

- Dolce Gusto: A poor's man Nesspresso, If you buy this just make sure you look at the amount of sugar the put in their drinks. Those things must have some sort of deal it big pharma and get a commission for every coffee drinking diabetic that ends up buying medicine.

- Aeropress: I REALLY like the taste of the coffee made by this little pump. But do beware that it will take you a few presses in order to get it 100% right. The obstacles I met were: I couldn't get the grind right at the first time (fixed by going one level finer), general clumsiness (at one time I put the coffee without first putting the filter!!), In time you will be very happy with the results.

Apart from that, you will love this thing. A "pro" tip to regulate the pressure and improve the start of your morning. Use your head (on top of your hands) to push down on the pump... the smell!!! oh the smell!!!

- Drip: Came with the house, I would not wish that monstrosity onto my worst enemy.

Do let me know if you enjoyed this review by pressing YES
:-)
12 people found this helpful
on May 6, 2016
I bought an aeropress a few years ago. I LOVE it. I still use it at home. I recently decided to buy a second one for work so I didnt have to wake up earlier to brew at home and schlep a travel mug to work. The quality of the new aeropress is markedly lower than the original one I have. Specifically, they skimped on the plastic tubes which makes them get hotter than my old one, but more importantly they skimped on the rubber so the fit is not as good. You have to make sure the plunger is completely flat as you press because if it's not completely straight it may create enough space that coffee actually sprays out of the tube as you press down. That has never happened with my original aeropress. I used to rave about my aeropress to everybody who would listen. Now it's harder to recommend it because it's legitimately harder to use without making a mess.
47 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on June 10, 2011
I worked at a coffee shop for over five years and was a finalist in a number of regional barista competitions from California to Missouri.

So I have a thing for good coffee, which starts with the roast and the purity and temperature of the water. But when it comes to extraction, very few, if any, brewing devices put so much control into the hands of the brewer.

With this brewer, I have made some of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. You can achieve the quality of brewed coffee as with a classic pour-over but in a much more convenient and durable system.

It's faster than a crappy Mr. Coffee, easier and more forgiving than a pour over like the Hario V60 and more durable than anything else I've ever used, besides of course a Turkish coffee brewing pot.

Sometimes you're just too busy to brew a coffee everyday (even it is does only take 2-3 minutes from start to finish). Or perhaps you hate being stuck with the crappy coffee found at your office. The versatility to brew a regular cup of coffee or an "espresso extract" is awesome. On a busy week, I will brew a heavy concentrated brew of coffee and store in a vacuumed, air-free, glass Porto bottle. When I want to make a coffee, I simply pour a measure of the coffee extract into a cup, cut with either iced or hot water and enjoy my quick, dead simple brew.

When traveling, this thing really shows off. If you travel and hate using hotel coffee and coffee makers, take this on your next trip, use the in-room coffee maker to heat up bottled water and use the Aerobie's coffee cavity to hold your coffee safe for travel. You can then brew the best cup of coffee you'll ever have at a hotel. This goes for camping, business travel or backpacking.

The whole system breaks down to really only two parts, the plunger and the reservoir with filters. You can leave the rest behind (scoop, funnel, stirrer) if you want. Learn where your coffee grinds should reach vertically in the brewer and free pour your coffee, stir the brewing grinds with the spoons or straws made available in most hotel rooms.

Cleaning the system is easy, just rinse and air-dry or wipe dry. I reuse my paper filters 2-4 times and see little to no difference in taste or consistency. This a company that makes permanent metal disk filters for this brewer that many people love. I am reluctant to use them as a metal disc will not remove any extra oils left in darker roast coffee but some people like the flavor of the oils so to each their own.

Bottom line, this is the perfect brewer for the everyday coffee drinker, the business traveler, college guy/gal stuck in a dorm room, tiny New York apartment goer or backpacker. Get it, use it and love it.
review image
1,047 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on May 30, 2015
UPDATE!!!
I bought 2 of these as Christmas gifts for family. I love it BUT check your local Target store before you buy online. Its around Thirty online but just look at the attached Image from Target!!! They must get a discount from buying in bulk so I'd go look there before anything else.

Original Review:
I bought this back in 2015 and I still use it nearly every day. I also eventually bought a mesh filter to reuse rather than the paper filters and I prefer it. Every part of it is still working perfectly

Just use 15-18 oz of coffee grounds for 8 oz of water. It would be perfect for camping because it's so portable.

I've tried french presses, regular drip machines, and other styles of drip methods and the Aeropress coffee always tastes the best to me. It also always ranks the best in blind taste tests as well when you research online.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
30 people found this helpful
on October 6, 2016
I've used the aeropress for at least 7( maybe up to 10 years?), and LOVE it. I make it once in the morning and because it is soooo good, that suffices me for my good coffee fix for the rest of the day. I don't have to measure things now, after all this time, just by memory for the coffee, the water temp, the grind, I make 1 pot in the morning and either put it into my 3 cup thermos , fill the rest with hot water, and a little cream sometimes, and I'm good for 3 good cups on the deck. Or I have it in my huge 3 cup mug while I work at the computer. I've taken it camping often too. One thing that some engineer could do for me now is develop a hydraulic press thingee to fit over the Aeropress so it would be easier to push the plunger down. At 75, I'm getting weaker and it's not an easy task for me. (mmm, just had to stop for a sip of my Aeropress coffee) I switched to the metal filter last year and it's worth it to me. I did not notice any taste difference either.
After all these years I think my rubber on the plunger is deteriorating so I'm going to call the company for a replacement part. I surely don't need all the other stuff repeated. Gosh, I don't know why anyone would buy any other coffee maker ever. It's the best coffee around, no beaker to break and replace for a high price, no grit in the bottom, no huge machine to take up counter space, as well as something that will take up lots of space in a land fill when it bites the dust, no darn Keuri cups that add to our waste. The grounds easily places in your compost or around your roses. What's not to like? Do some thing sweet for yourself and our sweet Earth. Get this!
26 people found this helpful
on June 17, 2015
I will just quote FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper and say that this makes "a damn fine cup of coffee".

This pairs well with the reasonably priced Handground Precision Coffee Grinder: Manual Ceramic Burr Mill as you can easily select the size of your grind. There's something nice and meditative about the time it takes to hand-grind and then Aeropress; clean.
review image