Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,958 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,509 reviews
on March 10, 2016
Stop what you're doing and make note of the date and time.

Then, buy this.

Your life will never be the same.

I can't really think of anything to say that hasn't been said before, but this is basically the iPhone of the coffee world. It changes the game:

1) Easy to use, easy to clean, doesn't require elaborate rituals
2) Makes REALLY GOOD coffee, that can be easily adjusted to suit your taste
3) It's FREAKING CHEAP compared to owning a whole counter full of coffee appliances (trust me, I've been there)
4) It's portable. You can take it on trips, use it in hotels. You can take it camping, hunting, or fishing. You can take it to your office. In fact, I bought a second one for my office. This thing can make the best coffee anywhere you have boiling water.

I'm going to keep this brief, because. Really. Just buy it already. The more time you spend reading this, the longer until Aeropress changes your life.

UPDATED - Okay, it's been maybe 4 months since I bought my first Aeropress. I liked it so much I got another one for my office. The first Aeropress has had maybe 500 cups through it, the second maybe 100. The problem is, the seal on that first unit is totally, completely shot. You can't even really push down on it, or air burps past the plunger. Worse, sometimes hot coffee makes it past, and spurts out the top all over your hand. This started a few weeks ago and has gotten steadily worse.

Googling, it looks like this does happen to people from time to time, and Aerobie do make a replacement part, but apparently you have to call and order it - it's not available on Amazon or Aerobee's website that I can find.

I don't mind replacing a worn out part, but this thing is 4 months old. There's only two coffee drinkers in my house. Yeah, we both drink a lot of coffee, but there's two of us. Two people wearing out a coffee appliance in 3 or 4 months is kind of ridiculous. I don't know how much the seals cost, but I am probably going to ask for several. I'm not going to stop using this, and I do still believe it's the single best way to make coffee, but I am pretty disappointed. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I'll report back in a few months when the second unit has a similar volume through it, or once the first one hits the next ~500 cups. In the meantime, I'm sadly deducting a star from my prior 5 star rating.

UPDATED AGAIN - 6 months (roughly) later. The high-use unit at home is juuuuust starting to wear out again. It's been a little more robust this time but is still starting to wear. The lower-use unit at my office is still going strong on it's first rubber bit. It looks like the rubber part has a useful life of maybe 750-1,000 cups of coffee. For some people that's gonna be years maybe? For us, it's not very long. I still love this thing, I'm still gonna keep using it, but I'm still slightly disappointed. They should just bundle the rubber part with the filters. It's a little annoying to order, there is apparently one online source in Canada or you can call (yes, CALL on a phone - no online ordering) the manufacturer.

Also, I want to share a useful tip. Once the rubber seal does start to wear, if you soak it in very hot water for a minute before use, it sometimes rejuvenates it and lets it seal. So, even once it's worn you can kind of still use it, but with an extra step that only works some of the time.
55 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
I worked at a coffee shop for over five years and was a finalist in a number of regional barista competitions from California to Missouri.

So I have a thing for good coffee, which starts with the roast and the purity and temperature of the water. But when it comes to extraction, very few, if any, brewing devices put so much control into the hands of the brewer.

With this brewer, I have made some of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. You can achieve the quality of brewed coffee as with a classic pour-over but in a much more convenient and durable system.

It's faster than a crappy Mr. Coffee, easier and more forgiving than a pour over like the Hario V60 and more durable than anything else I've ever used, besides of course a Turkish coffee brewing pot.

Sometimes you're just too busy to brew a coffee everyday (even it is does only take 2-3 minutes from start to finish). Or perhaps you hate being stuck with the crappy coffee found at your office. The versatility to brew a regular cup of coffee or an "espresso extract" is awesome. On a busy week, I will brew a heavy concentrated brew of coffee and store in a vacuumed, air-free, glass Porto bottle. When I want to make a coffee, I simply pour a measure of the coffee extract into a cup, cut with either iced or hot water and enjoy my quick, dead simple brew.

When traveling, this thing really shows off. If you travel and hate using hotel coffee and coffee makers, take this on your next trip, use the in-room coffee maker to heat up bottled water and use the Aerobie's coffee cavity to hold your coffee safe for travel. You can then brew the best cup of coffee you'll ever have at a hotel. This goes for camping, business travel or backpacking.

The whole system breaks down to really only two parts, the plunger and the reservoir with filters. You can leave the rest behind (scoop, funnel, stirrer) if you want. Learn where your coffee grinds should reach vertically in the brewer and free pour your coffee, stir the brewing grinds with the spoons or straws made available in most hotel rooms.

Cleaning the system is easy, just rinse and air-dry or wipe dry. I reuse my paper filters 2-4 times and see little to no difference in taste or consistency. This a company that makes permanent metal disk filters for this brewer that many people love. I am reluctant to use them as a metal disc will not remove any extra oils left in darker roast coffee but some people like the flavor of the oils so to each their own.

Bottom line, this is the perfect brewer for the everyday coffee drinker, the business traveler, college guy/gal stuck in a dorm room, tiny New York apartment goer or backpacker. Get it, use it and love it.
review image
99 comments| 921 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2016
I've owned the Aeropress for a year and, while it doesn't make the /best/ coffee ever (my personal favorite within a similar price range is the Bialetti Moka pot), it produces the fastest, most consistent cup of coffee from the coffee brewers/whatevers I have used. I'm not a coffee snob, so here are some features to consider from someone who makes coffee from pre-ground beans (yes, I know, the horror) before work:
- Incredibly fast: start to finish AND clean up takes < 5 minutes once you've done it a few times. I use the regular/non-inverted method
- Easy to clean: The disk of ground coffee pops out easily; it seems like a lot of parts but it really isn't; great for someone with a busy schedule.
- Makes reproducible and consistent cups of coffee
- Small storage space needed
- Will only make 1 cup of coffee at a time (unless you drink tiny cups of coffee)
on April 21, 2017
Just tried this. There are no instructions for making espresso; only: American coffee, latte, and cappuccino. Made two separate cups of coffee, each doubled up the ingredients for bigger portions, of a blend of Yirgacheffe and Kenya with relative ease. This device is a glorified french press that makes one hell of a (small) cup of coffee. Also, I attempted to make espresso with the light roasted beans of Kenya and it was very sour as expected. I highly recommend if you have the time to grind, brew, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. If you are interested in elevating the quality of your coffee and have the know how of basic mechanical concepts, this device is fun with complete control by the user. if you don't have the time or energy, this device will end up not being used. Not recommended for busy people on the go.
As the longevity of this product, it won't last beyond several years as the plastic would start degrading. I considered replacing this every few years would be equivalent to replacing the parts alone on a scaa coffee maker. As a hobbyist roaster, this helps bring out the potential of the beans. My cheap automatic Brewer gets the job done for me to do my job and the aerobee helps me enjoy the products of my hobby without breaking the bank. I hope this helps you decide! Like if you do!
on April 24, 2017
I like coffee gadgets and I have tried many. I opted for the paper filter version of this coffee maker. If I am making a single cup of coffee for myself, I am now using this maker exclusively. But sometimes I am the morning coffee maker for my spouse also and if that is the case, I am sticking to my French press. Let me expand a little. I find the Aeropress makes a very good cup of coffee but does not quite get the flavor that the French pressdoes. If one has really great coffee to consume (for example Ethiopian - I brought mine back from Addis Ababa) and you want to stretch the coffee a little further, a French press is perfect for this. The coffee bouquet, in my experience, simply does not develop as much with the Aeropress. The Aeropress is faster and cleans up easier but the tradeoff is flavor slightly below the French press. I would give the Aerpress 4.5 stars if I could. I have time in the morning to play around with coffee but if I were a person that wanted a fast but really good cup, and did not have time, then I would definitely use the Aeropress. Perhaps the very good flavor attained by the Aeropress is due to its simple design. I sure glad I found this one.
on March 26, 2017
I would have given the Aeropress 5 stars for the first 6 or 8 months I had it. The concept is great, the coffee is excellent without the cloudy grit you get from a French Press, and it's easy to clean. However, I have had this for 15 months now and the plunger is pretty difficult to press down at this point, so I mostly use it as a drip press now. I had read reviews about the plunger having difficulties over time but didn't realize it would be this soon.

I like my coffee stronger, so I typically would let one funnel drip into it and then press the second in. When originally I tried pressing it once and then adding water it was too weak for me. I still use it every day but will probably switch to an actual drip press at some point in the near future. I should mention that I specifically bought this set, although the pieces are dark black, not opaque like in the picture. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I just wish the plunger lasted longer.
on June 17, 2015
I will just quote FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper and say that this makes "a damn fine cup of coffee".

This pairs well with the reasonably priced Handground Precision Coffee Grinder: Manual Ceramic Burr Mill as you can easily select the size of your grind. There's something nice and meditative about the time it takes to hand-grind and then Aeropress; clean.
review image
on April 4, 2017
As the 2000+ other reviews mention, the Aeropress makes a damn good cup of coffee. Prior to using the Aeropress, I had been using a French Press, which broke, so I thought I'd give this a try. Pretty pleased overall. Removed one star for the following reasons:
1. There needs to be a larger (taller?) version for more than a single cup at a time. It is a fairly short brew time, but if making coffee for 3 to 4 people, its not as convenient as it could be.
2. On occasion, when pressing down the coffee, water will sometimes spurt out the sides of the bottom cap and spill over the edge of my coffee cup. Not sure if this a design flaw/defect, or a user error.
3. I attempted to use a paper filter once and the filter shifted causing all contents in the aeropress (including grounds) to end up in my cup. I'm pretty sure this was definitely a user error as others seem to use paper filters, and I'm fairly certain they aren't all satisfied drinking a bunch of coffee grounds. That said, I'm sticking to the metal filter.
on July 1, 2015
It's generally worth the hype. A nice espresso-like cup of coffee that is easy enough to make. Since you are likely a hipster, let's compare this with other means of making coffee:

The POUR-OVER: The pour-over may win some points vs. this item, since the pour-over is super easy and the cleanup is a lot easier with a pour-over than with the aeropress. Plus the aeropress takes a bit more time and skill than the pour-over. HOWEVER, the aeropress will give you a more complex cup of coffee, that is slightly more viscous and has more of the mouthfeel of an espresso. Yes, I just said mouthfeel, get over it.

The FRENCH PRESS: Frankly I strongly prefer the aeropress to a french press. French press coffee can be a bit bitter, it really requires a special, coarser grind, and the clean up of a french press is terrible! Whereas I just use conventionally ground coffee in my aeropress, I've never had a bitter cup, and the cleanup is fairly easy.

The DRIP machine: You are hipster, so you don't use one of these, do you? Well, similar to the pourover, you are kind of comparing apples to oranges here. Both are fine, though, right?

The MOKA POT: I left some coffee in my moka pot one time and I think it started developing some kind of growth. Maybe I should get a new one. Anyway, I don't know. Haven't I convinced you that the aeropress is good yet? Plus, the other thing is that you really need a hot plate or a stove for a moka pot, whereas you can make coffee in the aeropress if you have some boiled water. For me, I have an electric kettle in my office that works mighty fine for boiling water.
on February 19, 2015
I was a little skeptical and concerned this would be "too complicated". But those fears were quickly dismissed when I tasted the coffee it makes. It makes fabulous coffee. I use the inverted method to make an even stronger cup. There are several YouTube videos on how to make a perfect cup, but below is my go to method/recipe.

- Grind two scoops of fresh coffee beans (I prefer a dark roast)
- Insert the plunger into the Aeropress until the rubber stopper on the plunger is at the "4"
- Flip it over so that it is sitting on the plunger end and the end that you connect the filter to is facing up
- Pour in the freshly ground coffee
- Pour in your slightly less than boiling water, up to around the "1" mark
- Stir for 10 seconds
- Add the filter and grate to the top
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Flip over onto your coffee cup and depress over the course of about a 20 count
- Add additional hot water to your liking
- DRINK AND ENJOY!