Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 318 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 343 reviews
on August 28, 2015
The slice of life animal scenes are so poignant that you get the impression that it must have taken months of pacience to capture. They clearly didn't just give a high resolution camera to a couple of interns and ask them to film whatever they could in Africa. Cinematography, direction, and editing are first rate.

The 2-DVD set divides Africa into its major geographic ecosystems, and is a very entertaining tour of the uniquely wild and pristine swaths of land within this amazing continent. A "making of" third disc is included.

The fact that legendary naturalist David Attenborough is involved and is the narrator is the icing on the cake. He doesn't appear on screen as often as in the classic productions that he orchestrated in decades past, but he does appear occasionally and his voice and delivery are as captivating as ever.

I highly recommend it.
on May 27, 2015
Beautifully photographed, incredible scenes, some never before seen, well organized, David Attenborough narrating and personally involved in various locations! What can be better?

I own Earth, Life, Wild Pacific, Nature's Most Amazing Events, and Yosemite from BBC and they are all wonderful. I like the way this set is put into its separate parts by geographical location. I really like the end of each segment when personal stories are told about how the segment was filmed, what troubles they had, rewards, etc.

There are great extras too; interviews, deleted scenes, and outtakes. Highly recommended, you will discover unusual scenes such as lizards jumping on lions to catch flies. Giraffes battling! Rhinos being friendly? Absolutely riveting, not enough superlatives can relate how I feel about this set. Very reasonably priced too.
on February 23, 2013
Africa is the latest incredible nature documentary from the producers who brought us Planet Earth, Life, Frozen Planet, and Human Planet. Africa is narrated by the great Sir David Attenborough. Unfortunately the Discovery Channel airing of Africa used a different narrator. This Blu-Ray is the original uncut broadcast with Attenborough. The Discovery Channel cut out scenes for commercials during the hour long broadcast when it aired.

Africa is a 6 part series which includes: Kalahari, Savannah, Congo, Cape, Sahara, and The Future. Each episode is stunning. From forest elephants to kick-boxing frogs, the animals of Africa come to life in stunning high definition. The cinematography in Africa is amazing. This is definitely one of the best BBC nature documentaries to date. This Blu-Ray is a must have for anyone who enjoys nature.
22 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2013
Let me start by saying I am addicted to BBC nature films. I was joking with my brother that my son hears more of David Attenborough's voice than his own father's on a lot of days.

After Planet Earth I was blown away and thought it couldn't get any better and was equally impressed by Frozen Planet. Madagascar is incredible as are the Galapagos, and I've probably seen Wild Pacific 20 times now.

Even after countless hours of watching all of the above and others I was still glued to the TV for the entirety of Africa. There are some disturbing and tear-jerking scenes, but as usual the production is incredible, the narration is perfect, and the footage is unsurpassed. This is my new favorite!
on January 4, 2015
I've watched all the BBC series and routinely watch History channel, National Geographic, etc. This is the most amazing nature documentary out there. The sheer level of detail, camera angles, vivid imagery and story telling are unparalleled in any other documentary of its kind. It is just unbelievable what they've accomplished here--a huge bravo to the production crew who clearly had to have spent soooo many grueling hours to produce each frame in such a series for us to watch. Getting to the most remote areas of Africa and capturing this level of detail in nature doesn't come easy, and their efforts have produced a fantastic result that I will enjoy watching again and again for years!
on September 8, 2015
This program was soo I'll interesting. I love David Attenborough, his voice is great, you may want to know it's evolution based, which I don't agree with, so if that bothers you, don't watch, but of you can look past that, it is soo interesting!
on March 21, 2013
I don't own a lot of blu ray movies but the ones that I do own, I own because I like to think they have good replay value.

There are 2 blu ray discs contain in the case. There are 6 episodes in total - Kalahari, Savannah, Congo, Cape, Sahara and The Future. Each episodes run time is approximately an hour long. 50 of those minutes is of the show while the last 10 minutes features Africa Eye to Eye where it shows the team in action and shows how they film some of those amazing scenes. There is also a code for a digital ultraviolet copy included. The extras include - interviews, outtakes and deleted scenes. Narration is done by Sir David Attenborough. The subtitles for the shows include English, French and Spanish.

The episodes themselves are absolutely gorgeous. It may not be 3D but the vivid, rich colors shown in these six episodes really pop out. If you are a fan of nature documentaries, you should definitely check this one out.
on July 8, 2014
This is amazing - I think it's significantly better than Planet Earth. Our family is completely engrossed in it.

Warning: There is an episode where sharks feed on a whale carcass, and the way it's done is, IMHO, gratuitous. But other than that, so far, we love it.
on October 12, 2014
Won't waste my time saying the same gushing reviews as everyone else. Just trust me on this one: This series is incredible and it will show off your HDTV in most spectacular fashion. Get this, or you're a weenie.
on December 30, 2016
This was a gift but you can't go wrong with Sir David Attenborough's films.