Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 318 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 343 reviews
on August 28, 2015
The slice of life animal scenes are so poignant that you get the impression that it must have taken months of pacience to capture. They clearly didn't just give a high resolution camera to a couple of interns and ask them to film whatever they could in Africa. Cinematography, direction, and editing are first rate.

The 2-DVD set divides Africa into its major geographic ecosystems, and is a very entertaining tour of the uniquely wild and pristine swaths of land within this amazing continent. A "making of" third disc is included.

The fact that legendary naturalist David Attenborough is involved and is the narrator is the icing on the cake. He doesn't appear on screen as often as in the classic productions that he orchestrated in decades past, but he does appear occasionally and his voice and delivery are as captivating as ever.

I highly recommend it.
on May 27, 2015
Beautifully photographed, incredible scenes, some never before seen, well organized, David Attenborough narrating and personally involved in various locations! What can be better?

I own Earth, Life, Wild Pacific, Nature's Most Amazing Events, and Yosemite from BBC and they are all wonderful. I like the way this set is put into its separate parts by geographical location. I really like the end of each segment when personal stories are told about how the segment was filmed, what troubles they had, rewards, etc.

There are great extras too; interviews, deleted scenes, and outtakes. Highly recommended, you will discover unusual scenes such as lizards jumping on lions to catch flies. Giraffes battling! Rhinos being friendly? Absolutely riveting, not enough superlatives can relate how I feel about this set. Very reasonably priced too.
on November 11, 2016
Beyond stunning. Watching this was somewhat emotional. The beautiful shots are enhanced by David Attenborough's narrations, and the script (the stories) are really moving. The bonus segments at the end of each episode is really interesting, and the last disc contains bloopers (as well as interviews). Hilarious and really, the amount of time and effort it takes to film these specials should warrant their own documentaries! (we follow the filmographers and the producers as they battle bugs and weather to frame a shot, the negotiations and help they get from the locals and scientists who live with the animals day-in-and-out, etc)
on March 14, 2013
Let me start by saying I am addicted to BBC nature films. I was joking with my brother that my son hears more of David Attenborough's voice than his own father's on a lot of days.

After Planet Earth I was blown away and thought it couldn't get any better and was equally impressed by Frozen Planet. Madagascar is incredible as are the Galapagos, and I've probably seen Wild Pacific 20 times now.

Even after countless hours of watching all of the above and others I was still glued to the TV for the entirety of Africa. There are some disturbing and tear-jerking scenes, but as usual the production is incredible, the narration is perfect, and the footage is unsurpassed. This is my new favorite!
on January 4, 2015
I've watched all the BBC series and routinely watch History channel, National Geographic, etc. This is the most amazing nature documentary out there. The sheer level of detail, camera angles, vivid imagery and story telling are unparalleled in any other documentary of its kind. It is just unbelievable what they've accomplished here--a huge bravo to the production crew who clearly had to have spent soooo many grueling hours to produce each frame in such a series for us to watch. Getting to the most remote areas of Africa and capturing this level of detail in nature doesn't come easy, and their efforts have produced a fantastic result that I will enjoy watching again and again for years!
on May 5, 2016
I own a lot of BBC documentaries and anything with David Attenborough just wins my heart, but this is easily becoming one of my all-time favourites. I have not watched every single episode yet, but I look forward to when I can make time to watch this series because every time it I view any of it, it brings a surge of emotions as I get pulled into the beauty of the world. I feel so peaceful and full of love after watching this and other nature documentaries. I am passionate about the world and this series compliments and displays the reasons why very well. Amazingly made documentary.
on March 21, 2013
The movie starts in the Kalahari Desert first, and uncovers things about the desert that most of us never knew. They also show one perfect scene where so many different animals have congregated close together by a rare source of drinking water. It almost reminds you of the biblical account of the Garden of Eden, with so many different animals getting along so peacefully, until a pride of vicious marauding lions suddenly appear out of nowhere and interrupted the peace. They looked crazed while even attacking each other, before chasing the other peaceful animals away. The show also highlights a group of desert Giraffes, and shows one Giraffe being knocked out in slow motion, by another Giraffe that was competing for a female Giraffe to mate with.

This documentary makes you feel that you're on an actual journey in Africa, all from the comfort of your living room sofa. It is much more than just the same old coverage about wildlife in Africa; this documentary is different because it gives you extensive detailed information about every region they visit. This film shows how the sand dunes in the Sahara desert, is constantly changing its shape in a time-lapse video replay. We also learn for the first time that there is a hidden underground lake in the Sahara Desert that is hundreds of feet deep, which may run the entire length of the desert.

From there the series takes us on a journey to the Savannah, and sheds light on the largest lava lake in the world. This is a six part documentary, and after every part is over they take at least another 10 minutes to explain how they made this series and the video shots they captured, which makes the series even more interesting. With the near perfect video shots, and the perfect lighting effects, this is what sets this film apart from others in the same naturalist field. This is another must have, for your collection of the BBC Earth Series documentaries.
on September 8, 2015
This program was soo I'll interesting. I love David Attenborough, his voice is great, you may want to know it's evolution based, which I don't agree with, so if that bothers you, don't watch, but of you can look past that, it is soo interesting!
on March 2, 2016
I loved all of the segments. I loved the spectacular photography. I learned a lot of new things I did not know about this continent and its wildlife. I would highly recommend for anyone to watch. I always love to watch David Attenborough wildlife documentaries as they are always well done and full of information.
on December 30, 2016
This was a gift but you can't go wrong with Sir David Attenborough's films.