Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 140 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 169 reviews
on March 12, 2014
First of all: James Mercer is one of the most talented lyricists I have ever come across. This imagery is so simple and powerful and evokes so much emotion with so little effort from his vocal cords. If you're a fan of the quietly-burning-style of The Shins, or if you've never heard of The Shins, you'll still dig his lyrics.
This album is definitely better than the first Broken Bells album (which I also loved, but didn't love as much as this one. Thank goodness albums are not like children and I can pick a favorite guilt-free).
My favorite track of the album is "The Angel and the Fool".
The theme that runs through the album is the likeness between a fallen angel and an alien from outer space. The songs capture the sense of outer-space, loneliness, and confusion of what it is to love and lose the euphoria of adolescence (which is, in a sense, falling to Earth, and subsequently falling through a vast void).
I am obviously NOT James Mercer and have difficulty coming up with ways to explain my thoughts.
I've listened to this album five times since I bought it a few days ago, and with every listen, I find something new.
Hell, I'm just going to stop writing this review and listen to it again.
on July 30, 2014
I have to admit that I am sort-of a jaded old man in his early 30s who thought that 2005 was the pinnacle year for indie music. I buy a lot of music and have found it harder and harder to find music that just takes me to another plane. The last time I was absolutely wowed by an album was back in 2010 with Avi Buffalo's first release. However, come 4 years later Broken Bells has taken me to that plane and made me feel that sense of magic like I felt going to music festivals in the 2000s.

I think that it is to James Mercer's and DangerMouse's advantage that they have already established successful music acts in the past. I believe this makes them free to take more chances with song structure, melodies, etc. Of course, with great risk comes great reward and I believe the music world everywhere has been greatly rewarded with this latest album from Broken Bells.

What I love most about this album is the daring and unconventional everything. It's got James Mercer's classic egoless lyrics and restrained, melancholic guitar lines with DangerMouse's perfect compliment of synths. My favorite tracks are "After the Disco" and "Leave it Alone." This is as close to a perfect album as we can get in 2014!
on February 7, 2014
I really enjoyed this sophomore effort from Broken Bells, which is the collaboration of Danger Mouse and The Shins frontman James Mercer. While the 2nd half of the album lost a little bit of energy, the front half has several outstanding tracks. There some similarities here to the way that Daft Punk used disco beats and themes on 2013's excellent "Random Access Memories", except that the arrangements and vocals here are totally unique. If you are fan of other indie/alternative groups that have synth/electronica influences (heavy parallels to Cut Copy came to mind), there's a lot to like with this album. I actually think I prefer it as an overall album to their debut effort.
on August 28, 2017
Great band and sounds really nice if you like the vinyl sound. I have to say, these guys have some really great and profound writing in their music. Sad that they aren't bigger than they are, but music listeners don't seem to really value quality writing anymore it seems. If you have an opportunity, give them a listen and read the lyrics, it's a very poetic and artfully written album. It seems to let almost any listener vest their point of view into the music, which is what great music should do.
on May 7, 2015
A friend of mine recommended this to me after I had mentioned that I liked Arcade Fire's "Reflektor" album, but really it's an unfair comparison; Whereas Arcade Fire relies on very strong vocals and powerful music, Broken Bells takes a more subtle approach to both, mixing subdued echoing vocals with electronic accompaniment that is no less effective.

The album starts strong with the depressing-yet-strangely-upbeat song "Perfect World." And while the title track, "After the Disco," will undoubtedly get the most radio play, my favorite song on the album is "No Matter What You're Told," which combines powerful pop vocals, grainy guitar, and brass horns to create a powerful modern song that has its roots in the 60s club scene (I recently heard the song in an episode of Marvel's "Daredevil" on Netflix playing in the background of a bar scene, so it is getting SOME exposure).

Highly recommended.
on January 10, 2015
An excellent sophomore effort from Broken Bells.

A very strong album from Broken Bells. It definitely has some disco influences that especially evident in the construction and bass beat and rhythm of its titular song.

It is at once tragic, sad and contemplative and this album truly goes like a book where each song is a chapter.

It is an interesting musical turn in that is definitely influenced by the bouncy seventies disco beats and melds well with the early to mid-eighties electronic music.

An excellent album.

Songs of note are the singles, Perfect World, After the Disco, Holding on for Life (this is a really excellent song), Leave it Alone and Control.
on January 4, 2015
This album will have you hooked right from the start. By blending the sounds of old-school synth with the unique sounds of indie pop rock, Broken Bells has crafted a beautiful masterpiece of music that seems to tell a story. Driven by the unique and soulful voice of The Shins lead singer James Mercer, and Brian Burton's (Danger Mouse) catchy and rhythmic percussion lines, this album doesn't disappoint. Their music has something to offer to anyone who listens, whether it's fans of oldies rock, disco, classical, or more modern genres of music. I highly recommend it. For more devoted fans of music, the vinyl edition of this album is honestly has the best looking extra album art I have ever seen.
on November 17, 2015
Broken Bells 2nd album and Best Album, every song is a unique musical treat of modern electronic style similar to Alan Parsons love songs. I made mistake of buying their 1st album based on my experience with this album. To put it simply 1st album stinks, to be polite. Broken Bells has greatly improved their act and hopefully they will keep it up. I'll be watching for their next album. Bought two copes of this one, one for car and one for home. /
on June 24, 2014
The first Broken Bells record had some great songs on it. I dare say the best three songs on "Broken Bells" is better than the best three songs on "After The Disco", but overall, the "After The Disco" record is better. But both are great, so that's not a knock. "After The Disco" is a collection of infectious tunes that seem to recall the 80's new wave era musically. Lyrically it's very solid and some of the melodies are very Beatle-esque.

Glad I bought this one. A really good record that I have listened to non-stop since my purchase!
on February 5, 2014
As close to a perfectly melodic album as I can imagine. James Mercer is at his peak here. And Danger Mouse. What can I say? He shines. In After the Disco, you really do hear echoes of all the other top bands Danger Mouse has recently been involved with: Portugal. The Man, The Black Keys, Gorillaz, Norah Jones, Electric Guest, and even Daniele Luppi.

I can't stop listening to it. I want to buy copies for all my friends. Even strangers.