|Print List Price:||$9.99|
Save $2.00 (20%)
Disney Book Group
Price set by seller.
After (Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 384 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
|Age Level: 12 - 18|
|Grade Level: 7 - 12|
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
So the real question the becomes why should you buy this anthology?
The answer is simple, because of the authors.
Anthologies offer readers a chance to enter the worlds and writing styles of readers they've never tried before, giving them a sample of the authors works without feeling the obligation to finish or buy a new book by a new author.
And this anthology has taken some pretty incredible authors and put them together here. Garth Nix, N.K. Jemisin, Carrie Ryan, Beth Revis, and Jane Yolen are some of the biggest names in the field of dystopian YA. There stories are fantastic and great reads for fans of their work.
My personal favorite short story in this anthology is Faint Heart by Sarah Rees Brennan. It didn't feel like a short story, instead it felt like the first few chapters of a fantastic new novel. A novel that I really hope she finishes. The premise of the story is that the world was thrown into chaos for years, and the light that brought civilization back out of the darkness was the creation of the perfect woman. Every 25 years all of the single male population is rounded up and forced to compete against one another in a series of challenges that leaves only 1 man alive. This winner receives the hand of his perfect queen and the power to rule over all. This has been going on for years and seems to work relatively well.Read more ›
After is an anthology of 19 post-apocalypse and Dystopia short stories, many written by well-known YA authors. While it’s not uncommon for stories to vary in quality in such a collection, After in particular had quite a smattering of both really great stories and boring and/or illogical stories. While reading, I assigned each short story a rating from 1 to 5, and after reading I averaged my ratings out. Those ratings averaged to exactly a 2.5, which is about what I had suspected. While there were some great post-apocalyptic stories in After, most of them were rather uninspired. There are several stories in After worth reading, but not enough that to justify buying the complete collection.
1. The Segment by Genevieve Valentine
This was definitely one of the best stories in the collection. The news is manufactured by big companies, designed to pull on the heartstrings and purse strings of the still-wealthy. There might not actually be a war in a third world country, but the agencies want you to believe that. The main character has been cast in a segment featuring child soldiers, and a slightly older and “retired”(now teacher) actress is trying to warn her away from it, but won’t say why. There’s a sense of foreboding that invades the entire piece and is everything a short story should be. When the twist happens towards the end, it’s shocking enough to be effective but also it’s easy to see how the entire story had been building up to that point. 4 stars, would recommend.
2. After the Cure by Carrie Ryan
After the Cure takes place after a zombie apocalypse, when scientist have discovered a cure for the zombie virus, and have been able to turn several once-monsters back into humans in a rehabilitated state.Read more ›
The thing about After that sounded so interesting was the fact that it's a series of short stories about life after the apocalypse. And yes, I did see what they did there. Anyhow, I was interested to begin reading After especially since the list of authors that they have seemed pretty impressive (I personally was excited to see what author Beth Revis had written). After not only shows all the possible outcomes of the apocalypse (should our world legitimately end, be destroyed by war or get ravaged by supernatural beasts) and for the most part, I enjoyed every moment of it.
From the starting story, The Segment, by author Genevieve Valentine to The Marker by author Cecil Castellucci, After was an anthology that has given me enough dystopia to never need to read another dystopian novel ever again. I mean really, almost every single possible topic and plot point was reached in the anthology. The only thing that I don't think I got to read about was zombies, but even then, it's not a major disappointment (however I was secretly hoping that Carrie Ryan would give me a final taste of her zombie universe).
My absolute favorite short story in After was Beth Revis' The Other Elder.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
After reading the Ashfall by Mike Mullin, the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and The Hunger Games series by Susanne Collins, I have been drawn to stories about the apocalypse... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Second Run Reviews
Nineteen stories of well known authors and their look at the after effects of the world's end. The stories were covered a wide range of emotions from the terror to the hopeful. Read morePublished 6 months ago by cj zawacki
It was not as good as I thought it would be. Some of the stories were good ( I think 3 or4 total) the others were okay.Published 8 months ago by Athena
More YA/SciFi/Dystopian/Paranormal reviews at: https://kreaturesofthenight.wordpress.com/
Just in case you’re wondering (because I’m sure you are) I love dystopia. Read more
I love all books that have Ellen Datlow involved. This had some very good stories in itPublished 14 months ago by shigui
After having read WOOL - ( which initially was a short story ) I have loved dystopian, post apocolyptic, science fiction type short story books. Read morePublished 18 months ago by Carolyn Bunch
The story wasn't as good as I had hoped but, fast delivery. It was exactly what I expected. I recommend this Amazon seller.Published 19 months ago by james somahjawahho
I love reading about post apocalyptic/dystopian environments and the affect it has on the characters. Read morePublished 22 months ago by Filly Fernandes
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Children's Books > Action & Adventure
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Story Collections
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy & Magic
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Dystopian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Fantasy & Magic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Dystopian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Dystopian