Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

Afterglow
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 30, 2012
I suspect this will be BCC's last effort in the studio, at least. With the demand's on Bonamassa's time another BCC tour would be highly unlikely. I have been fortunate to see Joe's solo show, Bonham's Led Zep Experience, as well as the BCC boys themselves a couple year's ago. Outstanding were they all.

This album obviously is Hughes's baby. The songs are all good, with the emphasis on Glenn's singing and his voice wears a little thin at times. I would have liked to hear Bonamassa's voice more. Unlike BCC2 he's relegated to background vocals here. Keyboards are a little more prominent and Bonham is Bonham. Thankfully Kevin Shirley is the ultimate producer. His 3 BCC efforts highlight Jason's playing perfectly.

There are more Deep Purple influences here with Sherinian's playing. The intro to "Midnight Sun" is reminiscent of The Who and whether or not they knew they were copying RUSH's "Tom Sawyer" riff in "Common Man", almost note for note, is debatable.

I've listened to it several times now and pick up something new and interesting each time. That's a good sign I'll continue to keep playing it.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
There's just some music and some bands that are worth buying and listening to over and over again. What an amazing group. Its like the dream team in rock music. I don't think they have recorded a bad song yet. I can't wait for their latest album to come out.
on November 22, 2014
6 STARS.
BCC is the best supergroup to record in the last 5 years. This is what RnR should sound like in this day and age. Buy all 3 and then go get all of Hughes' and Bonamassa's solo releases. Then go get the Deep Purple releases with Hughes. Then go get the Trapeze releases. Get Bonamassa's first CD, "Bloodline"
BCC is serious rock-turn it up-loud And don't dare convert it to silly .mp3. Listen to it like it was meant to be played-lossless and loud..
3 people found this helpful
on December 28, 2012
I have been a big fan of BBC since the inception of the band. When considering the talented musicians that comprise BBC, I could not imagine how they could not create music that is classic and timeless. The reviews I have read on Amazon for their recent release "Afterglow" have been mixed, but in my humble opinion their new material is their best work to date. Since becoming a fan I have realized early on that BBC's music requires repeat listenings before you can really grasp how exquiste and complex their music is. At times I hear the Deep Purple influences which is understandable due to Glenn Hughes's participation, but at other times I hear strands of Led Zeppelin mixed in with Free which is not surprising since the late great Paul Kosoff (ex-Free), has been a huge influence on blues virtuoso Joe Bonamassa. I believe with the releasae of "Afterglow" BBC has finally reached the apex of their powers. The first (2) releases were both excellent pieces of work, but upon listening to "Afterglow" the music is more coheisive and their is a better blending of the talents within the band. Favorite cuts are Midnight Sun, The Circle, and Crawl. I strongly encourage all lovers of classic hard rock to pickup a copy. I believe that you will be quite satisfied with your purchase!
on October 24, 2017
This is the second CD/digital download I have purchased of Black Country Communion. I also bought their latest one which I like better, but this is still a great hard rocking blues/rock album. Great price and fast delivery.
on December 29, 2012
They truely did it this time. This is an attempt to get as close to the sun as possible.....If the sun was Led Zeppelin. Too much individuality in the band to rip off Zeppelin, but just in the feeling of the music, the accessibility, the possibility of every song being able to be played on any classic rock radio station or Beyond. A hit.....A hit? Well, yes...if the goal for a band is to get it's stuff out there and make it's listeners request it on the airwaves of radio or satelite, then yes, this record is a hit.
I love the first two BCC records. Love them! But "Afterglow"....I need! Can't go wrong if you love the other two. I feel it is better song-smithing and arranging than the first two. Vocals are still soaring, Guitar still makes me look like I'm torturing my enemies and loving it, the drums are pounding and the keys.....as always....need to be louder...not over powering to become Journey-esque, but louder to become more John Lord-ish. Take Care, Everyone!
on December 6, 2012
BCC has produced another very strong album which seems to reflect greater blending and coherence as a band. Joe B's solos are less bombastic and fit tighter into the songs. The lyrics seem better written and the vocals continue to be Glenn Hughes powerful and full of range and expression. Joe's vocals are excellent as well and there's more blending of them with Glenn's. I feel that the drumming is much stronger and tighter on this album. The drum tone and the depth of the bass drum seem more distinctive and a little more up front than the first two albums. I can also hear more Derek on keyboard. More of the songs contain more of his significant contribution to the overall sound and feel of the songs. I have heard rumors of infighting and that possibly this is the last album. I hope this isn't so! I would so much want to see this band live. Can you imagine how big they would have been some years ago?
on December 31, 2012
I have been a fan of BCC since I saw Live Over Europe on TV. Love the old classic rock sound, again! And thanks to Glenn Hughes, he is a master! The songs here are very good but I think they would have an even better edge if the other three members did more writing. Joes' playing here is top notch. I want to say I like listening to his lead playing here more than with his recent solo stuff. Glenn's vocals are great as usual! Jason is solid and adds a driving force behind the songs. Hated to read a few days ago that they will likely not be going on tour because of Joe and his management's agreement in the beginning of the band. His solo work is getting stale in my opinion, good songs but no flight! I think he would help his career more by giving it a rest and focus more with BCC.
on September 20, 2017
Bought the vinly and it sounds good. A little mellower than their last 2 offerings, however this still rocks.
on November 30, 2012
I am a big Joe Bonamassa fan, so I have very much enjoyed his heavy metal forays with this crowd. He seems pretty absent here, as this plays more as a Glenn Hughes band project. Obviously, my favorite song on here is Cry Freedom, where Bonamassa plays a more collaborative part to great results. The other songs, while proficient and craftsman-like just don't really grab me.
2 people found this helpful