Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 1, 2016
AFTERWARDS by Rosamund Lupton is a unique read for both the story line and the narration decisions. I read this for our book club and I'm excited to see where the discussion goes. I think this book probably reads different if you are married and even more so if you are a mother. I am both. Gracie's position is an impossible one to imagine. However, to me, the choice to narrate so much of the novel towards her husband made complete sense to me. I think she spent the novel preparing him for any possible outcome. The thoughts that go through her head as a wife and mother as she struggles to find the truth and the best way to protect her family was heartbreaking. I enjoyed the mystery portion and did not figure out who the culprit was until the end. I think there was a little more development that could have happened at the end with the final reveal but it didn't stop it from being an enjoyable book or being an appropriate conclusion.
on September 5, 2012
Terrific read, but be warned. Once you start it you will not put it down. Difficult to classify it. It is a good murder mystery, a great love story, and a bit of the paranormal. It is fast-paced with the suspense building almost from the first page when a school is torched. The mother Grace, and her teenage daughter Jenny are the victims. To their chagrin the police close the case without finding the right person. As the story progresses, Grace learns a great deal she did not know about her family and friends. It is rare to discover a book with an original and different presentaion such as this. It reminds me in some ways of "Lovely Bones", and it may be the best book I have read since "Lovely Bones". I look forward to reading Ms. Lupton's original novel, "Sister", hoping I will find the same magic.
on October 8, 2012
The unusual format of using the spirits of two critically injured women to tell the story adds intetest and excites the curiosity of the reader.

The red herrings are very convincing. The number of suspects in the multiple crimes sometimes causes the reader temporary confusion.

I feel that the author showed the dynamics of the two mother/daughter relationsips, such as; the normalicy between Grace and Jenny versus the abusive,
intimidating, co-dependent connection between Massie and Rowena.

I appreciate Lupton's use of the family's breath in Addie's armbands to demonstrate how love keeps him afloat. Grace's death was made real by her descriptive writing, such as, dark, heavy, mile of dense water, and vocal chords snapped off.

She did a wonderful job of showing Grace and Michaels marriage even though they could not talk. One sentence stood out - Our marriage was bigger than our differences.

Our book discussion group also chose Lupton's Sisters to discuss.

Rosamund Lupton is a gifted writer.
on October 13, 2015
This is a "can not put it down" book! The novel is written in the first person - Mother. Both main characters, Mother and daughter, are spirits who have left their severly injured but living bodies. The relationships between family members and close friends is revealed as they work through the mystery behind the tragedy. The author's development and growth of the Mother is smart in many different facets from her Sister-on-Law to her best friend. While the culpret is not a surprise, it does not spoil the book because it was the backdrop to the story's exploration of family relationships.
on November 16, 2015
This book is fantastic. The writing, the story, the vivid detail. I have read it three times and have difficulty putting it down each time. This book makes me laugh, sigh, cry, and celebrate the life that we all have now, and afterwards....
on April 10, 2014
I read. A lot. At the end of every e-book I skip over the option to review, whether I liked the book or not. This book was the one exception. It was exceptionally well written and captivated me from the first chapter. The characters and their complex relationships came alive on the pages and I found myself relating them to my own life and family. Have a box of tissues handy, for there is no way to avoid the emotions this book will evoke.
on August 19, 2017
Well written with the interesting twist on the narrator. Characters were well-done throughout.
on May 28, 2014
This was a touching, haunting book, which reminded me of The Lovely Bones, except that the main character is not yet deceased, but experiencing an out-of-body few days as doctors fight to save her and her daughter, both injured in a fire. The FIERCE love and dedication of this mother really resonated with me, for this was no accident, the event which set the plot in motion. The many twists and turns the story took were easy to follow because the reader was so pulled into all of it, and the writing was seamless. Mothers will definitely relate to this story, and daughters should read, to realize how deep a mother's love can go.
on November 4, 2012
This is the second book I have read by this author and AFTERWARDS was another very good story. I enjoyed the narrative style from the two main characters done as an out of body view of the other characters and additional intrigue and information given in this way.

I would highly recommend this story, a range of twists and turns that appeal to the part of me that likes a bit of a thriller. The characters are real and display all the typical frailities and aspects of family, friendship and sometimes suffering.

A great book to sit with an escape to. I found it easy to read and hard to put away as the story kept me interested with each turn of the 'kindle'page.
on December 20, 2013
This is only her second book and it's a doozy. An entirely new approach to the mystery genre. Not only is the approach different, but the characters are likeable and believable. I'll be on the lookout for anything else from this author.