Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$6.94+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 338 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 603 reviews
on June 15, 2011
I'm a huge Tom Clancy fan and anxiously awaited his new book. However its quite clear that this is not written by Clancy, and he has just lent his name to a moneymaking exercise.

Its a thriller, and I guess its ok. But its certainly not a Tom Clancy book. Its let down in the details which Clancy always gets right. For example in the book a drug dealer lets someone shoot him with a .45 to test out a bulletproof coat, and he barely notices the impact. In the real world the kinetic impact would break his ribs. In another chapter a navy seal picks up two pistols and runs at his enemies firing them two handed, something counter to every military tactic known.

In numerous little details the author gets it wrong, where Clancy consistently gets it right. For this reason I doubt very much if Clancy even proofread the thing before adding his name to it.

In character development, plot development... its average. Not bad, its certainly readable, but pure garbage.

I wish I had 3 thumbs so I could give it 3 thumbs down
4343 comments| 629 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2016
Initially the reviews I read caused me to not to be very interested in "Against all Enemies." But after reading all the currently available Jack Ryan/Jack Jr./John Clark/Campus books I was hungry enough for some more Clancy world to read it. I actually liked it more than I expected. The brief tie in with Dominic Caruso at the very end was intriguing. After all isn't the Campus in need of some additional personnel at this point? Liked the HUMAN aspects: guilt, regret, lust, etc. that are too often missing from the Campus series. Anything Navy SEAL-related always interests me. Liked the Mexico aspects, especially considering the current charged political issues with the border. To me this is classic Tom Clancy to work a story around real-world dangers and possibilities.
on June 4, 2016
As many of Tom Clancy's books I have read, I thought I could predict the ending but it surprised me. The characters were developed slowly but with insight of the reality a person might have experienced in similar situations. The back ground behind the plot is possible in todays world. It could be rather frightening if it came to past or maybe it has. Clancy's plots border on reality so well that it makes one wonder if he had a crystal ball and saw the future before it happened.
Charles R. Harris, Jr
on February 28, 2015
After the first or Clancy's books - most took on the persona of a formula that reminded me of a low rent neighborhood strip mall. Same type of people, familiar plot, and no one good ever died. I mean really. Lot's of good people die doing dangerous things with weapons and flying low at high speed. I've flown helicopters and flying in "dead man's curve," (too low and too slow), it takes only an engine "fart" and you're toast.

Against all enemies has multiple sub-plots and more realistic outcomes. I hope to find Clancy and his pals doing more like this. It's harder work, but the outcome is so very worth it.
on February 8, 2017
I only read this book because it says it's a Jack Ryan novel, but old Jack must have been on vacation. All Tom Clancy book are long and convoluted -- including those written in his name after his death -- but this one takes the cake. The story spans all the way from Pakistan to Mexico, and seemingly tries to include every individual along the way. But Jack Ryan? Not so much as a mention.
on February 17, 2017
THIS IS NOT A JACK RYAN NOVEL! Amazon shows it is but Ryan is never even mentioned. Very poor advertising by Amazon and a great disappointment. It is an ok story about drugs and terrorists and I would give it a 2.5 to 3.0 but would not have spent the $9.99 had I known.
on March 29, 2017
Another great Clancy book
on March 9, 2017
great
on January 30, 2012
I love Tom Clancy books and any others written in this style. This fits in with his many characters and stories. Good read.
on June 26, 2011
I've read all of Tom Clancy's fiction books, and was looking forward to this one. I got it yesterday, and made it through the first 25 pages. Not only is it not written by him, but I even question whether he read it. The writing is poor, the characters are flat, and no one should be made to wade through 900+ pages of this.

He made his name by incorporating real technology with great characters. Even Jack Ryan, Jr. is good, but this was not the real Tom Clancy.