Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 18, 2016
Interesting book, but a bit long and off-putting in the last portion. I am not being nasty, I simply feel this particular series does NOT belong on a bookshelf. I believe it desperately needs to be turned into a series of movies. The big screen is the BEST format for Agatha as well as her feline companion. The fantasy and sheer number of characters/creatures involved, as well as the main character(s) and the stories themselves, could truly use a good fleshing out and the best place for that to be found is in the many creative minds of a "certain" type of movie-makers and their crews. This series would be a joy to watch, preferably in IMAX 3D format. There is a LOT of potential here, because of its unique and next to impossible to imagine devices and characters, and, well...EVERYTHING, but PLEASE keep Tarantino (too raw) away from it and target DreamWorks or any company with the budget (it has to be large) and minds (they must all be rarified) to bring out every bit of the drama, whimsey and creativity required to put together this work as it desperately deserves. I don't want to give away a single bit of the storyline, but if this could be turned into a screenplay targeted to a group of "someones" with unique imaginations? The sky's the limit! PLEASE go for it! P.S. NO, I am NOT tied in any way to this author/person, or anyone involved in this series. I am just an average Josephine with an eye towards creating a silk purse where a sow's ear now resides. No offense meant.
on June 4, 2012
Right from the start, I'll tell you that I am a fan of Girl Genius. I read the webcomic. I've bought all of the paperback graphic novels. I also bought the first hardback novel. So why buy the book when you can get the webcomic for free?

Have you ever seen a movie and said "It was good but the book was better."? The comic and graphic novels give you amazing artwork and colors. (Yes! Go buy them as well!) This novel allows a much greater depth and insight into the story. The humor and jokes are still present. Yet this book provides so much more. Important details which a picture can only hint at, are lovingly described and expand on things which you thought you knew (if you are already a Girl Genius fan).

Even if you don't like to read because words scare you and paper makes your head hurt; you will want to read this book. It is filled with action, adventure, a few kisses and science!
18 people found this helpful
on February 26, 2016
Oh, this is a rare and toothsome piece of writing! It is first, beautifully written; second, stuffed to bursting with creativity and inventiveness (it even has footnotes to contain the imaginative arabesques that don't fit into the narrative, and they are choice!); and finally, both absorbing and amusing. It is really, really hard to set it down!

Unlike most of the reviewers here, I was ignorant of the original graphic novels, and tried this volume just because it was bargain-priced. Now, halfway through it, I'm in love -- I've wrenched myself away from my kindle to come and buy the rest of the trilogy.

But, while this volume does very well as a stand-alone, I have realized I'm missing some of the harmonics of its plot convolutions because I haven't read Book 1. So here I am, shelling out big for the other two and panting to do so. This is a 1982 Bordeau of a book, a 5-pound assortment of L. A. Burdick chocolates, a perfect Beef Wellington of a book -- a rare and substantial treat!
on April 10, 2018
I'm a big fan of the Girl Genius series. ALL of the comics are available online for free (GirlGeniusOnline dot com). I'm paying for the books because I want to support the endeavor.
I'm also on the Kickstarter list.

I will gleefully recommend to anyone who doesn't run away fast enough. (Turns out some people don't read. Strange.) Fortunately for such folk, I'm sure there will be a move sooner or later.
on November 20, 2015
Okay, I'm still reading this so maybe should have waited to review it, but this series is one of those rare ones which you look forward to reading, don't want to put down, and wish you could leave the responsibilities at hand during the day to get back to find out what's going on....not since the Harry Potter books (and, yes, I'm a young 58-yr-old) have I found books that engage me like that! I thoroughly enjoyed the first Agatha H. book, which I just happened upon in iBooks, and when I had finished it I craved more! So I am not that far into this one, maybe a couple hundred pages (it's VERY thick), and am in no way disappointed! Some steampunk, some innocence in the characters, all fantastic!
on January 8, 2017
I was a bit suspicious because often great comics (excuse me, graphic novels) are turned into poor novels. Perhaps because the original author also wrote the novelization, this was a pleasant surprise. Mr. Foglio filled in a great deal of backstory which was unavoidably left out of the comic without being tiresome about it, and his creative use of footnotes added much to the feeling of history instead of fantasy. If you are any kind of a fan of Girl Genius, reading the novelizations is definitely for you.
on March 30, 2015
As a longtime fan of the Girl Genius comic, I've often wished that it was just a big fat novel that I could read. When I spotted this book on sale, I thought I'd give it a try. After all, by the end of the Sturmhalten story arc, there had been so many backstabbings and reversals, I was totally confused.

This book lays it all out nicely. The narrative provides delicious tidbits that a comic has to supply visually--such as exactly when Lucrezia is talking.

The writing isn't perfect, but the voice is simply stellar and makes up for it. You can tell the authors love, love, love this steampunky world and these characters.
on April 5, 2015
This is pretty much a repackaging of volumes 4-6 of the Girl Genius 'gaslamp fantasy' (aka steampunk) webcomic into novel form. For readers of the webcomic, this will be a familiar story, as Agatha and Krosp join a traveling circus, rescue some Jägermonsters, do various things with (and to) clanks, perform a Heterodyne show or two, meet the latest would-be Storm King, and get their first tastes of The Other's treachery and Baron Wulfenbach's wrath on the road to Mechanicsburg. As with the first novel, there's some additional exposition that wouldn't really fit as part of the main comic.
One person found this helpful
on February 23, 2015
I've been an avid reader of the webcomic for years, and these lend fullness to a well established world, it's great fun to read and I love the footnotes.

I really love the books as a companion to my graphic novels of the webcomic, they really complement each other, although they are the same story there are enough extra details in the books to make them as enthralling as the webcomic.

Looking forward to seeing where the Foglio's will take Agatha next!
on December 13, 2013
I'll start with the obvious: Phil and Kaja Foglio's "Girl Genius" is creative, clever, funny, smart, and all-around lovable. I've been reading the Victorian sci-fi/steampunk-inspired gaslamp fantasy for three years now, and this year I've purchased and read both novelizations. I like the webcomic format better (the books tell the same story, covering a few years of the eleven-year-old series per book) because I think comic dialogue rather than written prose is the Foglios' true forte. The humor in particular is better expressed in the comic format, though I do enjoy the footnotes that this novelization adds. Overall, the novels are a great (and arguably more comfortable than extended screen-staring) way for GG fans to refresh themselves on the early-to-mid-2000s story arcs.
One person found this helpful