Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 391 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 420 reviews
on January 5, 2014
I was a little leery about buying this game based upon the reviews that said they couldn't find the game after installing it. I had previously played Age of Mythology and loved it. So I went ahead and bought it and installed it. After installing it I had the same problem that many others had. The icon didn't show up on my desktop, or in any file I looked in nor did it open immediately after I installed it. I was so disappointed. I was going to ask for a refund but decided to look through my computer one more time. I have a Toshiba Touch Screen laptop with Windows 8. I was looking through the files that are on my hard drive and then through the program files. I followed the Microsoft Games file (that is the company that sells the game) and the AOE III file that was there. There was a big list of files and after scrolling almost to the bottom I finally found the icon that opened the game. After installing a run program my game opened!

So for those of you who are like me and need a guide-Open up your file folder that is in your start menu bar on your desktop. When that opens click on your hard drive-the one that shows how much memory you have left on your computer under devices and drives. Click on the File marked "Program Files" (it should have a number after it-mine was Program Files (x86)) and then scroll until you see the "Microsoft Games" file. Click on the "Age of Empires III" file and scroll down until you see the icon that has a Black Triangle Hat looking thing-should be the first one with the file name age3. Click on that-install the run program and there is your game. I added the game as a shortcut on my desktop so I don't have to go through this process every time. For the expansion pack it's the same process but instead of clicking on age3 click on the file that has age3x with a pointy hat thing next to it.

I hope this helps some of you who were frustrated that you couldn't find your game and puts some of you at ease when buying this game!
55 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2017
I bought the digital download for these complete game. I bought this game because it doesn't need any steam installation to be installed or played, which is a big deal to me.

I have a windows 10 machine. The download and install was very simple, I didn't have to do any workarounds etc.

There were two issues:
a) I had to generate the shortcuts myself, by going to the install folder. There are three separate launchers (base, asian dynasties, war chiefs).
b) I was not able to change the resolution of the games via the games interface (using graphic options). However, all I had to do was go to the users directory in my documents/games/etc (dont' recall the exact path), open up the user xml file and change the resolution in there. I had to do this individually for all the three versions.

The graphics are stunning, Seems like a fun game to play, I haven't played it extensively yet, since I got it last week!
on December 23, 2016
Much like many other users I was unable to play the game.. (Windows 10) I wish the ad for this would do a better job of pointing out the severity of the issue... It looks like i literally just threw away $40 when I bought this.
on July 4, 2017
its a great game. for those of you having trouble running it, you have to run it from your program files-Microsoft games-age oif empires-age3 and if it will not run go to

control panel-programs-turn windows features on and off-legacy components-directplay box checked. worked perfectly
on January 2, 2017
Not for windows 10 - no way to get refund.
on May 30, 2015
This is one of my most favorite strategy games. KEY POINT OF PURCHASE: TO FIND THE GAME AFTER DOWNLOAD, LOOK IN YOUR MICROSOFT GAMES BY GOING INTO FILE EXPLORER, THEN OS, THEN PROGRAM FILES, THEN MICROSOFT GAMES. I had a hard time with this, but u need to drag the icons from the file explorer window onto your desktop so you have desktop shortcuts.
on May 7, 2013
so at 1st I had difficulty getting this program to load. I entered the keycode but it seemed to do nothing. after about 10-15 minutes it did indeed work.... Now I noticed alot of complaints about it not working on windows 7. I decided during my 10-15 minutes of waiting to read reviews to see if others had issues. of course, I began losing it since I had windows 7. However, it does indeed work just fine. There are some odd things to get it up on windows 7 though.

After the install is complete. take the disk out. Put it back in, hit repair or uninstall. The next screen hit repair. Once the repair is complete go to your start menu. At the bottom where you can search programs & files type in "age of" it comes up. At that point you have grab the age of the empires III drag to desk top, Do the same for AOE Asian and AOE War chiefs. Now you can actually play the game.

Since windows 7 dont allow the icons - folks are thinking it dont work, myself included...
Once you get the icons on the desktop it does work!!!
on October 10, 2014
I downloaded this game at night and did not get to play until the next morning because I spent the previous night trying to set it up. Had to uninstall and install 3 times before I figured it out, no joke. You have to play around with the install buttons and add the serial keys a few times before the game installs properly. Make sure to follow all the install prompts closely.

The maps are itsy bitsy tiny in this game. Even the largest maps are small. This is no exaggeration, I repeat, the maps are small. No way you could comfortably fit 8 players on here; To think of doing such a thing is crazy in my opinion. If you like your enemies and/or allies being a stone's throw away, this game is just for you. Also, I don't know if I am imagining this, but even the resources seem to be scarce on these maps too; It's like the game forces you to end things quickly with small maps and scarce resources. Interesting playing options on here though with the different empires. Too bad the small maps cramp their style.
on September 9, 2016
I feel that this is one of the best all around RTS games out there. So disappointed that the company that produced it is no longer in business. I would have definitely liked to see more.

I have literally developed all of my home cities to over level 60 and still play this every weekend. I love the higher difficulty choices on skirmish, however, wish that the enemy AI would build walls up to provide more defense on their end.

Worth the $. Buy this one without hesitation!
on March 24, 2017
Item didn't even work on my computer. Very disappointed. I have windows 10 and there was no disclaimer that I saw that stated it wouldn't work. After doing some homework, it seems as though many users have this issue. Upset that I paid money for something I can't even use.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.