Top positive review
15 people found this helpful
An Excellent Simulation
on August 9, 2011
I recently purchased Agricultural Simulator 2011(AS11). There are many reviews out there that compare it to its competition, Farming Simulator 2011(FS11). I have played both extensively and have all of the patches, DLC/addons that are available. FS11 has a TON of independently-made FREE mods and, as of today, three addons which include ProFarm1, DLC packs 1 & 2. The latter three WILL cost you money. AS11 has no modding community or addon content and I'm not sure if they ever will or even need it. I have had zero technical difficulties with either game and believe that the many people that complain about EITHER simulation are simply trying these games on low-end PC's or don't understand how to manipulate their machines or the downloaded files. The simualtion genre requires a certain amount of understanding of basic file/folder structure and "tweaking" in order to get the full impact of the game and best performance. Although you are not required to do this with either game, you will find that it may become necessary eventually or simply want to improve/enhance something. Both games are made by German teams and their support pages can be frustrating to navigate, so be prepared to use Google Translate while visiting them.
With all of this being said, I highly recommend and believe that AS11 is far superior to FS11 and here is why:
1. The tons of free mods available for FS11 can be great, but you will find that many have "bugs" and incompatibilities with other mods/features and this can lead to lots of time trying to figure out what is conflicting with what and how to remove or fix stuff instead of enjoying the game. AS11 already has a large variety of equipment and it all works...there is really no need for mods or addons.
2. The level of detail in AS11 is MUCH better than FS11. You need a good graphics card and know how to adjust it properly, but it is well worth the effort. Trust me when I say that AS11 is a REAL simulation. FS11 graphics look like a "cartoon" and appears to use some outdated graphics engine. Ex: AS11 equipment leaves tracks and and gets dirty, FS11 has no such detail and everything looks flat and from the 1990's.
3. The AI workers that you can hire on FS11 are very limited in function and you must "baby-sit" them. Rarely can you walk away and trust that they will handle the environment well and complete a task. AS11 allows to to hire many more workers and you can control them through an interface from ANYWHERE on the map. Tell them what pieces of equipment to grab, where to go, and what to do. You can improve their licenses, skills, etc.. Again, I can further elaborate, but you get the picture. AS11 once again is a more detailed simulation with more management options.
4. FS11 limits you to only cows and it's rather pointless to have them. AS11 has too many to list(Cows, chickens, horses, mules, sheep, etc..) and they can get sick, starve, etc.. Again, much more detailed and requiring more attention and real management of your livestock.
5. There are many other details that I could cover, but the list would be too long for Amazon to handle.
This difference is like that between Flight Simulator X(FSX) and X-Plane 9. AS11 is the FSX in this regard and a much better simulation overall. The physics engine in BOTH games are bad and you will simply bounce off of cars, but AS11 is once again ahead in this department if only by a small amount. The level of detail, management options, and graphics make AS11 a much better experience than FS11. But beware, if you're not prepared to tinker with this software, and this can be expected from many similar titles in this genre, then you might be better off playing Farmville.
***Amazon makes the purchase and direct-download experience fast and easy***