Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on January 3, 2014
I got this a month before a trip and it really helped get my 2yo comfortable with what was going to happen at the airport, including how the takeoff entails going "faster and faster, then up in the air."
It's been a few months now and he still demands that we read it on a daily basis over and over. There are a few things I really like:
1) It's not a board book, but the pages are plasticized and hard to rip.
2) Each page is one big airport scene, and the drawings are very colorful and full of details. We often play games like "find the man with a beard" or "find the mama holding a baby."

I think it should be updated to place more emphasis on the security area. The x-ray machine is just a detail on the corner of one of these drawings. I ad-lib a lot to add something I think is important, like waiting in line to check bags and get boarding passes. The images are there, they just need a narration. And sometimes I change the way something is phrased. One page goes: "'Buckle your seatbelts,' the flight attendant says," and I invert the order of those phrases because I think children remember better the last part of a statement.

I'm nitpicking, but it is still a great book. My son loves it, and it truly made my trip alone with a 2yo much easier. He seemed to be more relaxed in a new environment because he knew what was happening. He proudly pointed out things he recognized: "Boarding passes!" "The runway!" "Fasten your seatbelt, mama!" so cute :)
on April 15, 2014
This is a decent book and does a fine job of explaining the different steps throughout your journey through the airport. The pictures are nice, but the sentences are very short, basic and boring. I'm only giving it 2-stars because it is not very engaging. Like I said, the sentences are too simple -- there is no real "story" or child-like flow that most books have to intrigue a child. Overall, it points out the basic steps you'll encounter, but it is a pretty boring read.
on August 2, 2014
This book is wonderful! The amount of text is just right for a young listener - my son is almost two and was able to understand the text, without explanation or embellishment. What I loved about this book, though, is that the illustrations invite lots of improvisational storytelling. Some of the same characters show up from one page to the next (even though the principal "character" is the airport itself), and this lends itself to additional storytelling and imagined dialogue for a creative reader. There's a man with a cowboy hat who is particularly memorable, and my son also loved hearing about what radio exchanges between the control tower and the pilots sound like.
on October 26, 2010
I ordered this book for my 16 month old daughter to help her get ready for her first plane trip. My husband and I had been pointing out planes in the sky to her, so when this book arrived, she instantly zeroed in on the illustrations of planes in the air. It quickly became her new favorite book, and she wanted to read it every night before bed, plus several times throughout the day. Before long, she became interested in the entire story: people arriving at the airport, checking in, preparing the plane, boarding, and taking off.

The illustrations are bright, colorful, and nicely detailed. My daughter especially enjoyed little touches like the cat in the carrier at check-in, the colorful flags atop the terminal, and the boy and his parents who appear on several pages. (She always stops to point out "mama" and "dada.") The words themselves are simple, and a nice complement to the far more involved illustrations.

We bought the paperback version, which made it a great size to tuck into a bag to read at the airport and on the plane itself. Having tackled her first flight, if anything my daughter is even more interested in this book now. Written in 1982, the content is still quite relevant and accurate, even if some minor details have changed. (My husband and I smiled to see so many of the passengers on the plane reading books--no laptops or iPads here!)
on November 15, 2014
Amazing book if you are going to fly with your kid. Read this book in advance and if you are lucky the characters in the book will match what you see in the airport.

For example, pay attention to the luggage color, bus color, etc. Our kid still points out that the bus was there, etc.

Prepare yourself to read this a million times!!

Do not spill anything on the book! Pages will stick together and break. I guess you already know what happened to ours. However it had a great life!! and it made our kid happy many times!
This book is a good introduction to the sequence of events a child can expect to see when they take an airplane flight. The storyline, such as it is, unobtrusively follows a young boy and his family through the process -- arriving at the airport in a bus, standing in the ticket line, sitting in the waiting area, boarding the plane and finding your seat, and getting buckled in. There are also picture showing the crew preparing the airplane, the control tower okaying the plane for takeoff, the pilot and crew in the cockpit, and the jet taking off. There is a very nice cross-section showing the jet's fuselage, cargo hold, etc. Each picture is a brightly colored two-page spread, and my two-year old enjoys this book.
My quibbles are small. It would have been nice to see some more children in the pictures; and in one scene we see the little boy buckling up in a window seat on the lefthand side of the plane, but on takeoff we see him look ing out a window on the righthand side. A small enough mistake, but what if a child notices this and begins to worry that airplanes do not obey the laws of physics or logic? Will you be prepared to advance explanations that will not confuse?
Seriously, it's a nice book that should inform small children, and even help them when they first experience an airport.
on March 28, 2016
One of many of my son's books that we read on almost a daily basis.
on December 7, 2013
My toddler loves this book! We reference it any time we are traveling and it helps ease him into each transition. It is a little outdated, but that hasn't had a negative impact in reading it or using the book for travel.
on May 14, 2014
I bought this book to read to my 2.5 yr old son before his first airplane trip. It uses very simple language and accurate illustrations to walk you through exactly what will happen at the airport from arrival to take off. He asked me to read it over and over before our trip and we reviewed it while waiting to board. We had a wonderful airport experience...I credit this book for making this a predictable, non-stressful event that allowed him to be relaxed about what to expect and excited for his adventure.
on July 24, 2014
My (new) 2 year old LOVES this book. He requests it regularly, and he has a lot of books, so that says something. He loves looking at the "aircanes" on every page and makes sure to point them out to me. This is one of the few books that he will let me read to him instead of just wanting to talk about the pictures. :)
We are going on two big trips this summer and we wanted to prepare him in advance for the flight. 1st trip is in a couple of weeks so I hope it works!