Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 26, 2013
The books in this series are really more like long chapters rather than complete books. But for only $0.99 each they are a reasonable value even though they can't really even qualify as novellas in my opinion.

The author manages to draw the reader in with a likable main character and a reasonably smooth flowing story. As a series, he manages to blend multiple genres of fiction into a single integrated story in an interesting and entertaining manner. The series starts out in a typical zombie apocalypse fashion with a meteorite shower as the source of the zombie infection. Our hero is a meat cutter at a local supermarket who finds himself forced into a leadership position among fellow survivors as the number of flesh-eating "freaks" starts to rapidly multiply. The story then develops along predictable lines as he assemblies his crew of three women (two fellow grocery store staffers and a girl who has repeatedly rejected his past romantic overtures) as they go on the road in search of safety and missing relatives. Along the way the story takes on elements of extraterrestial science fiction, angelic/demonic horror, and good old fashioned governmental conspiracies.

After four "books", it looks like this series is going to go on for quite a while, so don't expect anything but cliffhanger endings. But given the success of The Walking Dead series of comics, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What is a bad thing in these books, like many others by inexperienced (and only marginally educated) authors, is that they suffer from almost intolerably bad grammar. It is not merely a question of poor editing, mispelling, and "typographical errors". It is an example of the incredibly poor job our modern day educational system does in allowing barely literate students to graduate from high school. Examples repeatedly found in this series are erratic sentence structure and tense, misuse of homonyms, and use of unnecessary or incorrect prepositions. I am not a grammar Nazi, but it is so aggravating to constantly read "he looked out of the window" instead of simply "he looked out the window". Or "he fell onto the ground" rather than "he fell to the ground". Reading such examples fifty times in a short book would be easy, but reading such nonsense five hundred times is irritating.

For those who don't care about grammar, no matter how bad, I highly recommend this series. For those who do care, I still recommend them as being moderately worth the effort of mentally rephrasing most of the sentences and dialog.
on January 10, 2013
So I started with the first book in this series titled Aisle 13 (Don't Dare Call Them Zombies) and loved it!!! After reading book 1 I ck-ed to see what other books this Author had to offer. I saw that he had 4 books out and you could buy them in a 4 book collection for $2.99 and knew this low cost for all four books was for me. These books have it all and I mean everything!!! Zombies or as the people in these books like to call them "freaks". There is also UFO's, extraterrestrials, Angels, Demons, God, good guys and bad guys along with Nucular meltdowns. Ok now don't get all festered because your thinking WHAT the heck....? All this in these books...WOW total overload right? Well you would be VERY wrong. These books rocked!!!! I have no idea where this Author got all his ideas and how he put them together to all make sense but Holy Hot Hell what a treat they have been! I also what everyone who is not the religious type to know that the way these books are written well......they are NOT religious in anyway shape or form!! In the second book "Church Bells" some people take refuge in a large church community and something happens there to our main character. It has to happen for this book to make sense in the long run and I loved the ALL new twists this Author puts in these Zombie apocalyptic, end-of-the-world books!!! This series I am sure will go on for a few more books and I cant wait until they come out because I will be snagging then up the day they arrive on Amazon. Zachary Stone thank you for time well spent and hurry up with another book cause I want to know what they saw in the sky!!!!
Happy Reading my fellow Dead-Head readers, Shawna Jean The blind Cupid
on April 28, 2013
This is a good zombie story, but is a little watered down from what I usually like to read. Not that a story has to be riddled with cursing, pillaging and graphic killing to be good, but I can't imagine the end of the world as we know it without a little swearing and irrational behavior.

This story is fairly well written, and could use a little editing, but nothing too major. This first installment certainly does its job of leaving the reader hanging and wanting more. As other reviewers have stated, not wanting to get involved in a long drawn out series, I may or may not read more.
I didn't have much expectation for this short read, so was surprised when I breezed right through to the end and enjoyed it as well.

It was a quick and easy read, the action was interspersed with decent character development, and although the ending didn't resolve much (there are more books in the series), the conclusion at least got one to the next stage of the characters' journey to survive.

There were some word and grammar errors, but nothing too distracting or that couldn't be easily remedied with a good edit review. I'm not quite sure if I'll continue the series; but if I can get the next one free then I might get further hooked into the remaining installments.
on April 28, 2014
This one is neither good or bad, but something in between. I've been a zombie-fan for many years, so I thought I'll give this one a shot. A little more editing, a bit of bloodspeckled glue to tie thongs together, and this could actually have been a real winner.. You can tell that Mr. Stone is enjoying himself, and I even found myself with a dry smile on my lips every now and then, so he's on the right track, nonetheless.. Keep it up!
on January 20, 2013
If you are wondering if this is a teen book, my advice is yes - ages 13 or 14 and up. This is a nail-biting, page- turner that I found to be creepy, super gross fun. It only has a couple small swear words, and no nudity or sexual references. What is does have is many, many detailed kill scenes. Eeeew gross, but cool.

I feel this is a great story for older teen boys. They'll love it. Blood spatter, people being eaten, chase scenes, explosions, etc.

Good, creepy zombie fun.
on December 13, 2012
The author was smart focusing in on an interesting idea and running with it. Zombie apocalypse breaks out and you are stuck at the grocery store and you work there. Very short though with a cliff hanger for an ending. Yes, I will read the next book in the series. Good job.
on September 12, 2014
I wont rule out reading the next few books in the series, as they are short and I am already involved in the story. However, I found the writing to be a simplistic and the characters not very detailed. The book can be read quickly and for .99, there is not much to get upset about if you don't pursue the series. I have read a few Zombie genre novels, and while I cant say this was my favorite, if you enjoy the genre it is worth a try.
on December 13, 2012
Decided to try this book after reading the sample on Kindle. The main character, Hank, is believable and likable. Hank is an ordinary man, with an ordinary life who is thrust into his worst nightmare. He has no special abilities or training, just a strong will to survive.
This book is an easy read and ends with enough of a cliffhanger to make you want more. There were a few grammatical errors that are easy to ignore once you get caught up in the story. The book was worth more than 99 cents.
on March 20, 2013
Hank Harper is a good guy, a nice guy, and an ordinary guy, but when the dead start walking, this meat cutter and management trainee at Grocery World really comes into his own. He is not superhuman and he makes mistakes, but his heart is in the right place and he does everything he can to protect those around him at the grocery store. With a nice supporting cast, this first novella is fast paced and satisfying, but could stand to have a proofreader to correct for grammar, punctuation, and missing words.