Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$9.99

Showing 1-10 of 639 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,332 reviews
on July 28, 2015
I was one of the people that woke up early on the day Akira first arrived on DVD, only to be sorely disappointed that there was a new English dub upon getting home and putting it in my player. The old dub was a relic from my childhood, fading away on my VHS copy bootlegged from a Blockbuster rental. I even ended up buying a Laserdisc player to get Akira in the English dub I remembered...

So here it is, in all it's corny glory! Sounding better than ever! Plus I get to brush up on my Japanese with the original sound! There's also the new dub for people who can tolerate Kaneda being pronounced "Canada" and the crap new voice cast with no emotion (I feel nauseous just thinking about it. Screw you, English Vash!), if that's your thing...

Plus, all the extras are here! I love the score documentary :)

The PICTURE IS PHENOMENAL! You can see the layers of cels and amazing detail. It feels like the colorized Manga come to life!

If you're satisfied with your old copy of Akira, you will be sorely disillusioned once viewing this! Go to Blu-ray.com and view the hi-res pictures, or watch an HD trailer. You'll understand immediately.
on February 7, 2017
Akira is, in many ways, a genre defining film. I have seen scenes from both the Manga and the movie scattered all over anime and even other genres of film. I would argue that the character of Eleven in "Stranger Things" shares a lot of characteristics with the psychically gifted children in Akira, including her abilities, name(convention anyway), tattoo and the nosebleed she gets after using her power; something that shows up in the graphic novels but not the movie.

I started reading the Akira graphic novels back in the mid eighties and, when the movie first came out, i was happy with how well they adapted it to the screen. Re-watching it again nearly 20 years later, I was surprised how crisp it looks. A lot of movies and Anime don't age well. If anything, I thought Akira would not look out of place along side modern anime films. Very few of the details seem to date Akira like some other movies.

The one thing I would complain about and the only reason i gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the end of the movie. Specifically the last 45 or so minutes. of it. The movie just seems to drag on and on with no end in sight. When you finally do get to the end, you sort of feel like you should have quit much sooner. Today they probably would have spun this into two or even three movies or more. But, instead I get one movie with a fantastic beginning, good middle and a long, drawing out, boring end.
on February 28, 2015
Anime has never been something I felt drawn to, yet there are many titles to which aficionados of the genre/style will always point you and which have achieved a sort of name recognition among those who wouldn't necessarily consider themselves fans. AKIRA is one of those films, and it happens to be the first anime film I've ever seen. The setting is 2019 in Neo-Tokyo, so named because of an apocalyptic event which took place 31 years earlier. The rebuilt city isn't too different from what you might find in a post-apocalyptic/dystopian sci-fi story. What stood out most to me, and the most recognizable elements of this type of story, was the portrayal of a fascist police state where government and those in authority abuse their power and the citizens fight against them. Not only do they show this violence, but there is also a lot of graffiti which provides subtext and context to the overall situation. Some of it went over my head because it's probably specific to Japanese society when this film (and the source graphic novel) were made, but the broad strokes of oppressive regimes, the military-industrial complex and populist uprisings should resonate with most viewers. All of this, and I haven't even gotten to what makes this story unique. At the center of this story is a biker gang, and one of the members, Tetsuo, is captured by a secret military group that studies people with psychic abilities. There is also another group of people who prophecy about the return of some mystical Akira, who will either bring balance or destruction. To be honest, I don't completely understand all of the plot intricacies, but most of the time I was being blown away by the stunning hand-drawn animation. I've never completely warmed up to computer animation, but animated films such as this one have an artistry to them that is second to none (when done right). One minor complaint I have is that the English dub (and I don't really like dubs) was a bit iffy in places. What I mean by that is some of the voice acting was a bit over-the-top. Still, it wasn't too distracting like it might be in a live-action film. My other minor complaint has to do with the length of the film. The third act was perhaps a little bit too protracted and it messed with the overall pacing. Still, I ended up liking this film a lot and look forward to delving into more anime in the future.
on June 22, 2016
First off, the movie is fantastic. Fantastic story with great action and plot and character development on such an epic scale. My personal favorite animated movie of all time. As for the 25th anniversary, it delivers quite well. All 3 versions are here of the Japanese dub with English subs, streamline dub and pioneer dub. HD 1080p looks amazing and the already amazing looking animation looks even better. The audio is great for both English and Japanese dubs here. If you prefer to watch things in dub because you don't like reading and watching at once, I recommend the pioneer dub over streamline because they fit the roles of the characters better and they actually pronounce things correctly but if reading subtitles isn't a chore for you, I'll say that the Japanese dub with English subtitles is the best way to experience this movie. Must watch for any anime fans or anyone who loves a good movie in general.
on July 27, 2001
So Akira on DVD is finally here. And wow. Pioneer? kudos to you guys for an excellent restoration job, as well as alla round nice package for this SE. I love the tin, and the extras are very cool, although I had seen most of it before. However the movie is fantastic. Buy this and watch this excellent movie that flabergasted audiences 10 years ago and is back to show just how good the best really was. The story is a bit complicated at times, but dont despair, watch it again and then maybe if your still in doubt, you can look fro some info online to help mesh out the manga based story that is a bit much for only a 2 hour movie.
Anyway, if that mae sense to you, buy this DVD. Enjoy it and just think about 10 years from now you'll be able to play it again and again without worrying about holes like those of us who bought the VHS when it first came out.
on March 3, 2017
I was excited to see the anniversary edition available at such a great price! It is 100% the real Akira. Would recommend to anyone looking for a classic rated-R anime (before they became watered down love stories)
on February 12, 2015
Watch this film. You will see motifs that were later incorporated into a lot of movies for ever after. It is like watching a prototype of every sci-fy channel TV series set ever made.
on April 22, 2017
Get the original, un-dubbed version. Reading is worth avoiding the strange/boring English actors' interpretations of the lines.
on November 6, 2016
Everything is perfect... except someone decided to put tape on either end of the casing. I BARELY managed to get it off without further damage, except a small tear. Yeah, it's minor and nitpicky, but I like keeping my stuff in good order, and this hopefully warns people of this.
review image
on October 16, 2015
One of the best anime movies of all time and father of the modern generation of anime.