Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jon Batiste PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 8, 2016
Interesting reading to better understand Alan Wong's cooking style. I love his food and make it a point to visit when in Honolulu. Alan's food is awesome. If I do not have a dinner guest I frequently sit at the bar and chat with the staff while they are cooking, during my dinner. Clearly Alan Wong's is at the top of my list and I have visited many times.
on July 21, 2016
A fun, but complicated book. Not for those who are lazy in the kitchen or want quick meals. If you're not from Hawaii, you may not understand some of these ingredients or how they work together.
on December 26, 2016
This was a gift for my husband who is a chef, after we had eaten at the restaurant. The book is very well put together with a lot of beautiful images
on December 5, 2014
There are some absolutely great recipes in this book!
on April 23, 2015
loved it, helpful
on May 26, 2010
Good selection of Hawaiian food. Some ingredients hard to find outside of Hawaiian/Asian areas.
on March 5, 2015
love this book
on July 19, 2015
I LIKE.
on May 24, 2002
ALL RECIPES VERY HARD TO MAKE. TOO MANY STEPS & EXOTIC INGRIDIENTS.
on February 20, 2012
First off, let me say this book is not for everyone.

I have been cooking for years, and have always been into culinary. I do not have a culinary degree, but have a very good handle on things in a kitchen and do consider myself somewhat of a chef. That being said, this book is amazing. I found the recepies to be extremely balanced and complex in color, tastes and textures. Not for an untrained palate. The dishes are excellent. I continually use these recipies, and even tweak and deviate from some to create a style of my own. Despite what others comment, ingredients are not hard to find. With new supermarkets such as Whole Foods, Wegmans, and local international markets, it is fairly easy (expensive, yes) to find what you need, you just have to dig a little and know where to look. Not going to find most of these in your every day local supermarket. As far as impractical, I didn't find that at all. I found many of the recipies to be moderate, some were easy, and some more challenging (but I like to be challenged in the kitchen, so I enjoyed it). As far as replication, you will NEVER be able to perfectly replicate any of these recipies and have them turn out like the pictures. Alan Wong is a world renoun award winning chef, and is known as one of the co-founders of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. He has cooked for President Obama. Think about that. You can give me a brush and tell me how to paint a Picasso. Doesn't mean it's going to turn out like one. Come on people.

Best advice? This book is not for a novice chef, a family trying to prepare a quick meal for themselves and children, or someone with a weak palate. It is not for someone who doesn't have time, someone who isn't creative or someone who dabbles every now and then in the kitchen. If you don't know the difference between chopped and diced, do yourself a favor and dont purchase this book.

This IS for a intermediate to advanced chef, someone who has a solid grasp on things when it comes to the kitchen, someone who can appreciates textures and flavors. Is for someone who is creative, someone who has the time to prepare and create a dish, someone who likes to be challenged and/or someone who is solid in a specific style of cuisine and wants to learn a new style. These meals are great for a special occasion, a significant other, or someone(s) special that you are trying to impress, or show off your talent to.

I love this book and will continue to use it.