BCA Month Salon Beauty Ali: A Life Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Dirty Heads Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on March 25, 2014
The movie was good but not great. The best parts were like a roller coaster ride. War scenes were outstanding as were the sets and spectacular locations. The bad was the missed opportunities to add depth to the story line, battles and characters. If you see Richard Burton's portrayal in Alexander you see the big picture. You see in Richard Burton's portrayal as a warrior/leader with little attention paid to his sexual orientation. It wasn't important to the plot but it was in Alexander Revisited. Audiences dig the battles and the chess games that are played to win those battles (300 spartans) and they like the contrasting good and bad characters that add suspense to a movie.
on September 26, 2014
This newer re-cut of the less than popular original film is a massive improvement over the original first version. So much more of the story is fleshed out and many of the characters feel more complete. I LOVE this era in history and have read a good bit about the time period and events. The more you know about Alexander, the more you'll get out of the movie. If you take it in passively, A LOT of it doesn't make complete sense. If you know the historical context and thus, the significance of the events, this film is very rewarding. Stone has done a great job expanding what was a bit messy before ... Jared Leto is unforgettable as Alexander's soul mate, Hephaestian. Angelina Joile is a HOT mess as Alexander's mother, but only in a truly wonderful way, and Colin Farrell adds touches of real humanity to a historical figure typically depicted as a brute, albeit a brilliant one. The scenes with these three really make the movie for me. I hope you enjoy this film as much as I did. All of the nay-saying has a relatively common root, especially noticeable once you watch the movie and feel the full impact of the story. As an academic, I'll say no more. Enjoy!
on November 30, 2015
Wow, a treat for those who love history and spectacular films both! Fantastic production values, great script/story line, great acting, not shy about life as it was lived. Just wish there were more films out there like this one.... You may also appreciate the series ROME
on November 27, 2014
I know this movie was an expensive flop but personally I thought it was terrific and it's one of my favorite films of 2004. Olive Stone created a really intense, emotional drama about a young man who grows up to be this legendary leader and then seems to go crazy from all the power he has. Along the way he falls in love (with men and women) and has to deal with an overbearing mother, a womanizing father, and all the betrayals by his close friends. Colin Farrell's performance is really the main reason to watch Alexander. He is so wonderful and should have gotten an Oscar nomination. I also loved Angelina Jolie in a small role as his mother - she was gorgeous and powerful. Jared Leto was also terrific as Alexander's best friend - the only person who truly loved him. The long battle scenes aren't my thing but there was enough of the human story to keep my interest. I've watched it several times and still really enjoy it.
on August 19, 2011
Watch the introduction to the film. I dont blame the director as much as i blame the mainstream producers. They limit the film to fit time frames, they limit the film based on the overall parental rating. They limit nudity, which is art. These companys dont help create art, as much as stifle it. The younger generation love avatar. Any wise person knows it is a copy of plots from a handful of different movies. It uses CGI about 90 percent of the movie. I personally hate cgi. Which is why I love this film (it does have cgi) but the rooms and historic artworks arnt cgi'd. It fills my heart with warmth. The sets ARE amazing. The customs ARE amazing. I love the acting, narration, and story. I knew nothing about Alexander before this film. Critics complain because it leaves out pieces of history and events. But my question is, how a movie so big and epic like this, can a director Fit every single piece of historical documentation without it being intensely boring or long? This movie made me want to do deeper research into the man. I feel bad for future movie go-ers. The current day movies dont stand up to this. Remakes of superhero movies, pirates, zombies, ww2 remakes, spoofs of mainstream movies, countless sequels. The saw movies, Final destinations, etc. The Art of movie making is dying. Cinema is the last true american artform, and it is getting ruined. Its turning into fastfood, cheap msg filled food, that hits your nerves and pulls on your heartstrings, but is bland and made cheaply and without love or blood sweet and tears.
on February 21, 2013
I have never been able to watch this film on television with it being cut to shreds for commercials. Nor did I see the much criticised cinema release. But Alexander Re-Visited, the Final Cut, is a masterpiece of cinema. The performance of Colin Farrell, from a young man to his death, the changes in his appearance, his emotional range, are just exceptional. So is Angelina Jolie in her role as his mother, Olympia. The real Olympia was far worse than the one presented in the film. This version follows historical events fairly closely, and the two battle scenes - which represent more than a dozen that the real Alexander fought - are bloody and brutal. But it is through these were see Alexander's ability to enthuse his men, to lead, to plan and even to read the landscape, the daylight etc. While some might find the gay scenes awkward, the real Alexander is believed to have been bi-sexual, which was nothing controversial in those times. Vangelis' music is brilliant. Like Cleopatra, this film, in time, will be viewed as the classic it really is, and as close to history as it could get. I live in Sydney, Australia, which at present has an Alexander exhibition at a major museum. This exhibition is so close to the film's story that it is uncanny. Both are excellent.
on September 26, 2014
Being an historian and a fan of many of Oliver Stones movies I have to say that this one is probably the closest detailed story of Alexander The Great in film. Although I admit that certain parts are inaccurate to his life, it was overall a really good telling of the historical icon. I am very happy that they made this peticular version of the film because the theatrical version was not as informative as this one. Colin Farrell portrays Alexander wonderfully! If your a true Oliver Stone fan and love historical and very in-depth films, then this is definitely worth every cent you pay for it and the time you will take to watch it in its entirety. If your just looking for a simple film...Look elsewhere...This is a very unique, and arduous film that demands full attention.
on March 19, 2017
Everything as advertised.
on November 25, 2013
Sometimes, history is a little different than most people want to believe. This movie delves into the truth about Alexander the Macedonian - or Alexander the Great, if you prefer his "Western" title - that many people would chose not to consider. As with other "historical dramas" that have been in vogue recently - such as Wolfgang Peterson's "Troy" - this movie attempts to separate the myth from the facts.
Personally, I was a little disappointed that the story of the Gordian knot was not included in this movie, but I otherwise found the movie to be an absolute joy.
on January 21, 2012
I guess it's a blessing I didn't watch any of the prior releases with this the Final Cut being my first viewing of the film but still it is clear to me that Oliver Stone is no Ridley Scott or even David Lean and so this film suffers somewhat from Stone's heavily documentary-like approach to film making. At times I felt like I was watching a very, very long History Channel documentary and yet I have to say that I didn't find the film to be as bad as many other reviewers here apparently do. I do agree with those who say that a lot of Alexander's important exploits are not showcased but instead are glossed over through Ptolemy's narratives but in fairness to Stone it would probably take 3 four-hour long movies to portray them all and at least the incredible defeat of Darius using the brilliant technique that is still taught in most military schools is shown here with at least for me irritating subtitles which only makes it feel even more like a History Channel documentary but overall I feel that once you get used to Stone's style of storytelling which is unlike most similar epics that we have seen from other directors like Kubrick, Scott or Lean this film while not perfect is still very good and engaging. I found myself forced to concentrate and to pay attention throughout to catch the flow given the frequent flashbacks and jumping around and as such I didn't really feel the length of the film having so immersed myself in it.

Story aside at least the picture and sound qualities were very good and although the special feature documentaries aren't that entertaining at least we finally get Alexander in the form that Stone was best able to deliver. In trying to show the human side and to explain what makes him tick, Stone has succeeded in emphasising that aspect albeit having to sacrifice the more exciting fighting scenes.

Not for everyone but it's probably the best that Stone could have done.