Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 834 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,211 reviews
on November 5, 2015
I love this movie, have loved it since I was a little kid. First time I watched it, I might have been 7 or 8 and my brother was around 6. We kids found it gross and scary, which made it a favorite. My favorite scene is when birds come down the chimney into the house. We never did get the ending though.... I figured my grandsons, who love to watch scary movies, would find The Birds to be really mild by modern-day standards. But they say this one is TOO SCARY for them. They're fine with super heroes blowing each other up and a terminator shooting people and zombies doing who-knows-what, but a bird pecking a corpse was too much for them. They were terrified and couldn't get through the movie. So, I don't think we'll be watching this one again. Grandma watched it by herself, after the kids went home.
I loved The Birds as a kid. The film is pretty frightening stuff and is one of the few films of Hitch's that crosses the line from thriller to horror (along with the much maligned but terrific little film Frenzy made with Anthony Schaffer of Sleuth fame. The effects, script and eerie "score" by Bernard Herrmann make this a late period classic from Hitch.
The script is a bit uneven and the performance of Tippi Hendren can generously be called "wooden". Rod Taylor gives a nice, complex performance that enhances the film. All the performances with the exception of Hendren's are stellar. It's not that she's necessarily bad she just doesn't fit in the Hitchcock universe despite all of the appearences to the contrary.
Nevertheless the film benefits from a number of powerful set pieces including the sequence where Hendren is trapped in a telephone booth. The first major assault by the birds is effective and frightening. The effects work by Albert Whitlock given the time the film was made is nothing short of astonishing.
With Psycho Hitch seemed to turn a corner in his career. His films took on both a new complexity and venture into territories that he hadn't visited before. Although Hitch would have a few missteps after this film (Marnie, Torn Curtain and the uncertain Topaz)he managed to close out his career with two minor classics with Frenzy and the comical Family Plot.
on September 27, 2016
Yea!!! F##ck! Yea this movie is amazing! Honestly this is a movie that is so great it makes most movies that come out now look like Trash!

What's so great about The Birds. First we need to understand what the meaning of The Birds is? Is The Birds about the birds themselves? Is it the Love Birds?

It's incredible how this story is set up! The Attraction created between the love Birds, the place where the Nest will be. Really this is Genius writing. Were so involved with there actions of those in this story that we deeply start to care about them, the town there in, and the people that are living and working in that town.

See what is Genius about Alfred Hitchcock is not just his directing but his use and understanding of Human Psychology. He knows how to set up a story, he knows how to get the audience involved to care about those in that story, and he understands human mating cycle and how to create attraction with opposite sex, and he must have done some amazing study on Birds.
There is just to much to write about how great a film this is.
on August 8, 2012
This little thriller by Hitchcock still holds up pretty well even after circa 50 years. Good script, direction, and camera work. Decent acting. No...it isn't Gone With the Wind, Forrest Gump, or Jaws. If you approach this work with expectations like that, you will be disappointed.
If you can accept the seeming improbability of out-of-the-blue, coordinated attacks by huge mixed masses of murderous avian kamikazes, you will probably enjoy this old video.
If you can't-or, if sci-fi/fantasy just isn't your thing, you probably won't. I usually like to give any speculative fiction writer, novelist, or scriptwriter at least one big improbability per story. One disbelief-suspending "what-if?" scenario. As long as it isn't too off-the-wall, I'll go along. In this case I believe the concession was worth the effort.
on November 4, 2015
I love this movie and this particular item not only shipped and arrived ahead of schedule, but the movie itself is fantastic in Blu-ray...it looks really great. The Digital HD content (just the movie in digital format) with the iTunes bonus both downloaded easily which allows me to carry this movie with me on my portable devices wherever I go which I also love. At the current price, it was an irresistible "must have" movie to add to my collection.
on May 11, 2016
I've seen this a few times, and I feel it is not as suspenseful as when I first saw it, maybe I've become jaded, but for first-time Hitchcock viewers it is well worth your time!!
on June 11, 2017
"The Birds" has always been one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movies. Classic movie.
on August 3, 2015
I saw this movie for the first time when I was young. My family loved Alfred Hitchcock movies. Ever since, I have been afraid of birds. I really don't like them whenever I am in enclosed quarters with birds. Now watching this movie when I am older, it's kinds corny and makes me laugh... but I still don't like birds. So don't show this movie to young children unless you want to scar them for life... but it's a fun movie and not SUPER scary.
on August 27, 2011
"The Birds" helps fill the gaps in the persona of the man called Hitchcock.

The story is about boy meets girl and also, about love in a quiet country setting. Everything is peacefully set far away from big city noises. But lo, the local birds seem to be acting strangely. Not the lovebirds that are introduces early into the film, but the domestic birds--all the domestic birds. Before long the birds begin to get aggressive and unleash an entertaining look at the man called "Hitchcock".

The special features include interviews with an older Rod Taylor and Tippi Hedren. The young Jessica Tandy is seen in the film as beautiful as ever; Susanne Pleshette, too.

The special features also take a good technical look at how all the bird sequences were made; how the gasoline fire in the center of town was done, and more.

I enjoy this film more today than I ever did in the sixties. I'm not sure why, except that I look for more stuff, now.

Definitely worth viewing as a Hitchcock creation or simply as a film.
on January 26, 2016
Embarrassed to say how many times I have watched this. Something about that isolated schoolhouse and echoing drive around Bodega Bay that pulls you in to the terror. The real story by Daphne DuMaurier is set in coastal England, but the chills and anxiety to overcome the bird attacks are just as intense as the original.