BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 18, 2015
This is a well organized, great beginners book. The lessons are clear and progress quite smoothely. I have learned to read the music and can now play by just looking at the notes after 3 weeks. Not great mind you, but when I see a note now, my fingers instinctively play it. This I attribute to the organized lessons and clear examples provided in the book. Unfortunately, there supposedly is a companion cd i didn't receive but that is likely from my lack of reading my order and no fault of the seller. 5 stars as I am very satisfied with the book alone and have learned so much from it.
on February 8, 2014
I can't read music and knew nothing about playing piano. This book, though a bit dated, is certainly a great place to start. For me it goes at the right pace, allowing me to learn basic techniques without endless and repetitive exercises. Each exercise is complete standing alone without reference to other lessons. There are alot of books out there and I haven't done a survey of them but this one, which I use on my iPad, is very functional. Each piece of music can be expanded to fill the iPad screen so it's easy to follow. I don't have the CD but it wasn't offered as part of the book. All in all, I'm happy with the pace of the instruction and where I'm going
on May 15, 2017
Good book for those without access to an instructor.
on May 27, 2017
I love the approach. I have been a self-taught professional guitar, flute, sax and banjo player for 50 years. I have always wanted to take the time to become proficient on the piano.

This instructional approach is very thorough. I am aware that proper playing technique is essential.
on November 24, 2010
A long time ago I used to know how to read music. However, I had forgotten it all. This book takes you along very slowly, and teaches you everything you need from music notations, to musical note values, and, of course, musical notes themselves. It does it one lesson at a time. You simply learn one thing to do for that lesson, and then build on it, one thing at a time. It letters the notes in the beginning, and then slowly, one note at a time, begins to show them without a letter value. In time, you will learn the notes themselves, and will not even be aware of the fact that the letter values are no longer there. This book also plays songs that you know, and thus you want to keep playing more. The DVD that came with this book is very helpful in showing you how to play each piece. The only problem I saw with the DVD was how to skip over the beginning piano piece that plays, and get to the menu. Normally, you would go to a root menu. However, on this DVD, the root menu is that musical piece. Instead, go to the top menu (look for the top menu button on your remote), and it will bypass that three minute long piece. Other than that, it is wonderful. :)
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2015
This book is incredibly thorough and set up so well. I bought this book with no experience playing and no previous lessons. I just really wanted to learn. I decided to officially teach myself and found that this book is a great resource. If you practice everyday and not skip a single lesson, you will find success. I'm only a few weeks in and already over halfway through the book! I find myself incredibly excited to do my daily lesson and am very excited about what I've learned so far!
on February 15, 2013
I had music class growing up and never knew how to read music or even play any instrument other than the recorder. I absolutely love piano music and so I decided to learn, this was by far the best purchase ihave made on amazon. It is like having your own personal piano teacher, that u can pause and rewind until you get it. I learned to play three different songs on my third day. I have never given reviews before and I just had to give one for this product. I recommend this!! 100%
on May 21, 2013
I have wanted to play the piano for many years now, and as a middle-aged adult was a bit shy about taking lessons, so I thought the solution would be to teach myself at least the basics. I surmised that if I could play a little and read music, I would go into lessons with a teacher with some knowledge. Maybe it is just me, but I thought the lessons were much too difficult and fast-paced for a complete newbie and I put it away. I started lessons with a teacher and I am progressing at a comfortable rate for me. After a few months, I got the "teach yourself to play piano" book and dvd out, and I have still found it to be too much for me. I'm glad that others have found success. I think a one-star rating would be too harsh and if I could, I'd give it a 2.5.
on December 17, 2013
Book seems good has large print for far away reading, as in playing and looking for notes...

Problem is ... it no good without DVD that is sold extra ... the book tells you to watch dvd for this lesson..

I never was told there is a DVD option ...
on June 29, 2017