Top critical review
Good performance marred by lots of little annoyances
on December 27, 2014
Overall I'm happy with this laptop. It handles my multi-tasking tendencies. The SSD gives it a really quick startup. Battery life is solid. But it's been a mixed plate overall. While the bulk of the time I am happy with it, there are so many little things that add up to a lot of inconvenience.
- 3 usb ports. Ok that may not be a big deal, but I'm used to having 4. I keep a lot of devices plugged in and I really miss the extra port.
- slow usb connection on startup. I use a usb keyboard and mouse a lot, and it takes a good 10 seconds for them to be recognized when I wake up the computer from sleep. I've never had such slow performance on any other computer I use.
- erratic cd drive performance. Maybe I just got a lemon, but the cd drive doesn't always recognize the disc I put in. Sometimes I have to re-insert it a few times before it reads it properly.
- no physical cover on the camera. Again, probably not a big deal to most people, but I'm paranoid. I only want the camera to see me when I know I'm using it. So I tape a piece of paper over it. Not a big deal, but also unsightly and not as convenient having a built-in cover
- whenever I plug in my speakers to the headphone jack, I get a popup menu on the screen and I have to select my speakers before the computer will recognize them. Again, this isn't a big deal but it's an extra step that I've never had to bother with on any other computer.
Ultimately I'm giving it 4-stars, although I considered giving it 3. But I think many of the things that bother me won't be a big deal to most people.
Edit: Just after posting this review my computer spontaneously shutdown (crashed) for no apparent reason. It happened while I was away from the computer so I don't know exactly what might have caused it. This is the second time it has happened. The first time I thought perhaps I had shut it down without realizing it and chalked it up to my mistake. But this time I know I left it on cause I was only away from it for about 15 minutes. As a result, I'm dropping it one-star from my original review. If it happens again I'm going to drop it another star.