|Item model number||AW988|
|Item Weight||13.4 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||3.68 x 7.59 x 7.19 inches|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||3.68 x 7.59 x 7.19 inches|
|Batteries||1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)|
|Date First Available||January 10, 2019|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
Alienware Wireless Gaming Headset–Aw988 –7.1 Surround Sound- RGB Alienfx -Boom Noise-Cancelling Mic -sports Fabric Earcups -Works W/ PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch & Mobile Devices Via 3.5mm Connector
|connector-type||USB (5 pin Micro-USB Type B (power only)) AUX input (mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm)|
|Headphones Jack||3.5 mm|
About this item
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Customize your lighting: 16.8M RGB lighting with 2 zones and AlienFX allow personalized in game lighting and looks, so your games and accessories reflect your style; Program effects, colors, brightness, tempo and custom animations on over 150 Supported games; You also have the ability to create and download unique themes; The product is compatible with Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5570), Inspiron 13 7000 Series (7373), Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7573), Inspiron 17 5000 Series (5770), Inspiron 13 7000 Series (7370), Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7570), Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5575), Inspiron 17 5000 Series (5775), XPS 13 9370, ALIENWARE area 51 R6, ALIENWARE area 51 R5
- Mindfully made: we designed our gaming headset both strong and lightweight with ultra premium materials for maximum comfort and stylish wearability; With a well made headband, comfortable ear cushions with moisture wicking fabric and easy access controls, you can game for hours and look good doing it
- Don't miss a beat: your headphones take you deep into the game with sophisticated sound technology; Expect polished, professional in game sounds with ALIENWARE 7.1 virtual Surround sound and a clear, broad acoustic signature; Hi fidelity 40 millimeter neodymium drivers round out the deep, rich bass and expansive soundscape for an unparalleled gaming experience
- Amplify the action: multiplayer games demand crystal clear communication; Make sure your entire team hears every directive and every battle Cry with the enhanced, Uni directional, noise canceling mic with natural voice communication
- High performance wireless means you clear your game space of cables; Equipped with lag free 2.4Gz wireless and a 40 foot range, your headset lets you stay connected, even during snack breaks
- Built with a lightweight, comfortable design, the ALIENWARE wireless gaming headset is specifically crafted to let you game for hours with ease; Your breathable ear cushions rotate to fit just how you want them and the microphone has an extendable boom mic that lets you tuck it up and out of the way when you're gaming solo
- Our new headset leverages the latest updated and iconic ALIENWARE design with elements similar to those found on our flagship desktops and award winning notebooks
Consider this Amazon's Choice product that delivers quickly
Frequently bought together
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Hone your focus
Dive into the action: Stay one step ahead of your opponent with immersive 7.1 virtual surround sound that helps engage you even more in your gameplay.
Hear every detail: Every encounter sounds better , custom-tuned 50mm 20Hz-40KHz drivers for high-resolution audio.
What winning sounds like: Hear the enemy before they hear you, even from a distance, with Alienware Immersive Audio technology. custom-tuned drivers, custom-designed acoustic chambers and comfort-fit earpads that give you a wider and more dynamic soundstage both in battle and out.
Plan your next move: Cut down on distractions with enhanced noise isolation provided by comfortable leatherette earcups so you can focus on your gameplay.
Battle in comfort
Play for hours with a cushioned headband, and comfort-fit earpads. The hybrid of memory foam, sports fabric and leatherette provides optimal cooling and comfort, while the iconic Alienware Legend Design looks sleek with non-exposed extenders and a retractable boom microphone that creates a beautiful, seamless outline. Now you can stay cool and comfortable while you conquer.
Fully locked and loaded
Get the win: Take down the enemy with industry-leading Cherry MX low profile Red switches. The combination of linear switching characteristics, low actuation force and shorter travel gives you better control as well as quick and smooth triggering, allowing you to efficiently pick off adversaries one by one.
Attack with style: Knock out your opponent with our floating keys with full N-key rollover, a 50 million keystroke life cycle and on-board memory for accurate and reliable attacks. And, with switches mounted directly onto the metal top plate, you get a modern looking, durable setup, ready for battle.
Join the fight: Connect to your gear quickly through an easy-to-access USB pass through. Plus, dedicated media keys make it a snap to access and control your game’s intensity without losing focus.
Map it out: Navigate easily on an optimized, redesigned, three-section layout that lets you maximize your reaction time.
Win the way you want
Make it personal: Barrel through campaigns with fully programmable keys for macros and key assignments that let you breeze past bosses.
Sound off: Quickly access and control your media with dedicated audio controls and a volume roller that give you seamless audio adjust ability at every stage of your adventure.
Light it up: Fly your colors on the battlefield with fully customizable per-key AlienFX RGB, giving you full 16.8M color control via Alienware Command Center.
Command in comfort: Reinforce your reign on a slim form factor that provides enhanced ergonomics and a more natural palm posture even in the middle of combat.
Alienware AW988 gaming headset designed for the most dedicated audiophile. Lightweight design with crystal-clear communication and iconic Alienware style. Alienware wireless gaming headset – AW988 – 7.1 surround sound - RGB AlienFX - Boom foldable noise-canceling Mic – lightweight design – moisture wicking sports fabric earcups – also works with PS4, XBOX one, Nintendo switch & mobile devices via 3.5mm Connector
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The sound is 7.1 surround sound if it is enabled through the Alienware command center. The headphones work very well with my Alienware 15 R4. There are 3 ways to plug these into the laptop. There's a single connecter for headphone option only. Then, there's a dual connector for headphone/microphone option. Lastly, there's a way to connect through a USB port. On my laptop, this was the only way to achieve 7.1 surround sound.
If you use these headphones, the Alienware command center allows you to create many different sound output settings. I have moved from Sony Extra Bass headphones, and in the beginning, these Alienware headphones sounded quiet. However, after adjusting the sound options through the command center, I was able to set the sound to my liking. These headphones seem to be more comfortable to listen to, for the sound doesn't have to be loud to hear all the sounds around in the game/movie.
Overall, I'm satisfied with these headphones. They sound good, comfortable to wear without fatigue, and work as advertised. I was also happy to hear more sounds I previously did not notice with the previous headphones, so this was a noticeable difference. It's a solid product. Keep it up Alienware.
Pros and cons at the bottom.
Headphones I've used all have been for gaming.
Astro A50 (first gen) $300
Beats Studios$250 paired with DAC
Sennheiser CS 598 $150 paired with DAC
And now these $99
I've used these with the USB they provide and paired them with a dac as well.
Comfort : I've decided to give these a 5 star on the comfort as soon as I opened the box and grabbed the headphones. I immediately noticed how comfortable the headband was way better than the Astros and Beats.
I used them for a good gaming session and never felt bothered by them.
Compatibility: Consoles I tried them on that work 100%
PS4 plug and play via USB or you can use the 3.5mm jack
Xbox needs to be plugged into the controller
No detail about switch sorry
Back to PC usage
Sound Quality 4.5
Using these with a dac sound great it's to be expected if u know how to drive it
Using these with the usb dac it comes with.
I almost gave these a perfect score BUT getting that sound control to work ugh.
I'm personally using these exclusively now over the headphones above.
Setting up the alienware sound control was a pain since the install was a bit annoying.
So let's skip all that and go to the point where it's all set up.
The equalizer is the big plus for me Alienware gives you a wide range already from the get go
but some of them do need some tuning for some of the games I listed.
You do get custom profiles for those that dont wanna use the ones provided.
Movies I used these with at the time of the review
Avengers (infinity war & endgame)
John Wick series all owned bluray no stream
Games I used these with at the time of this review.
The Witcher 3
Resident Evil 2 remake
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
All the movies and games listed were used my personal equalizer settings sounded great even the virtual surround sound.
Update 1: Dolby Atmos for headphones does work for this product at the cost of losing your equalizer settings so this is basically and a pro and a con depending on the user for which virtual surround sound you like better
Alienware sound center was actually a pain get working.
This is literally the only con I have with these headphones since that program is what you need to get the headphones working to its full potential if you don't own a dac and plan to use em with the usb provided with.
I did not buy these to use the mic however for this review I decided to add my input for it.
I have a average size head the mic pick up on this is actually terrible I might have a defective mic
because no matter what I did the mic quality was extremely terrible did not pick up my voice at all.
It did however pick up all my clicking from the writing of this section of the review.
Even with the alienware sound center which has a area for the mic where u can turn off
the noise suppression, voice leveler and voice shaper I couldnt get it to work at all at a usable level.
The sound is amazing both with a dac & the usb dac provided with them
Comfort is great
The equalizer provided with the sound center is great has a decent variety of sound modes from the get go
I feel good about this review now for afterthoughts
Would I recommend these to someone absolutely for audio quality alone.
Would I recommend these to someone who wants a headset and needs the mic absolutely not.
For $99 dollars they are worth the price they are wired
their wireless model the aw988 has a lower frequency range which I found odd
(aw510h are 20hz-40hz / aw988 are 20hz-20hz) and smaller drivers
(aw510h 50mm hi-res drivers/aw988 has 40mm audio drivers)
for $100 dollars($230)more which I find extremely odd
Main issue I had with these headphones were the boom mic. It was difficult to push back in and it didn't mute when I shoved it back in. Turns out, I prefer to flip my mic up to mute. It's quickier to mute, especially if I have to sneeze or family member starts talking. Also, I didn't like that there wasn't a volume control on the headset itself, but rather on the cord. I had to feel around until I found the controller and push.
I ended up sending them back because of the boom mic and volume controller.
Top reviews from other countries
The only thing I'm a little disappointed is they are not 7.1 on ps4 not a big deal because they are so well tuned.
I would highly recommend this headset best at this price range and more.
1. It speaks instead of boops to indicate connectivity and microphone status. There is no way to turn this off.
2.The words the headset says completely cut out any other audio that's going on, so if I mute the microphone for a moment, I cannot hear audio for several seconds while it informs me I have muted the microphone
3. The voice is VERY LOUD. I think there's a way to adjust this volume, but it seems to involve adjusting the blanace between chat audio and other audio. Which I've had nothing bad a bad time when I've adjusted it beyond what it's currently at
4. The construction of the headset means that anything that brushes up against the headband part is very audible through the headset.
5. This same issue extends to the charging cable. IF that rubs up against something it's very loud while wearing the headset. So basically trying to charge it while I'm wearing is an audio nightmare
6. The whole thing is covered in that plasti-dip type covering, so it shows up fingerprints like nothing else and constantly needs cleaning otherwise it looks gross
7. All of the buttons and nobs are in really awkward positions. If you want to take the headset off you're likely to hit a button, or adjust a nob accidentally
8. I think this has something to do with some game audio coming through the chat channel, but if it doesn't detect loud enough audio for a period, it just slowly fades out the audio. So for example, if I'm in a menu of a game, and there's just low level ambient audio, it just slowly fades into nothing until I back out of the menu and do something that makes any other noise
9. It randomly stops being the default communications device. I have no explaination for this, but I was playing a game with friends last night, for the first 3 matches, it worked fine, no issues. Then we started the 4th and I couldn't hear any audio from them. I had to manually go in and change it from the default comms device to the headset again, even though I had made sure the headset was the default communications device. This only periodically happens, but when it does happen it's very inconvenient to fix.
10. I've had the headset sitting off to the side of me today. Roughly every hour, the headset has chirped up telling me the microphone was muted. I've not been doing anything on the PC, there's nothing running on the PC that's even using audio.
Any of these issues individually, I could probably put up with, I don't expect anything to be perfect. But all of these together just make for an awful experience. Especially at their price point, the headset I had prior to these was cheaper and way better
Its only redeeming factor is its battery life is quite good. I've had them run for most of a day without needing to charge, which is good because again, the charging cable rubbing against anything is audible while you're wearing them.