Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on April 22, 2017
I am just learning about this field and this book has really helped encourage me to join it! Great personal examples and from others in the field. Mentions settings to start with which is helpful too!
on August 21, 2013
As someone who loves music and photography I have always dreamed of becoming a "concert photographer" but wasn't really sure how to get started. This book was able to answer a lot of questions for me. I love the way Alan explains things and shares his personal experiences with the reader. The "Pro Tip" sections are great and gave me even more insight to what goes on in the business.
on September 6, 2013
This is a great book for anyone interested in breaking into concert photography. It is an easy read with some sound advice from the technical aspects of concert photography to proper concert photography etiquette.
on May 6, 2016
The book itself is great, and perfect for a beginner. For someone that has actually been doing concert shoots for a few years, it was just reaffirmation of stuff I learned the hard way, on my own. [...]is some of my work, and photos.terrymercer.com/concerts is the link to hundreds of Country Artists and thousands of images I've shot over the last 4 years. The one thing I didn't really get out of this book, which I was hoping to... is WHERE & HOW TO MAKE MORE MONEY. It's all above the photography, the venue relationships, dealing with the artists, and the common sense stuff. It really is a great book, but aimed more for those that don't already have venue relationship, haven't already been 'doing it' in the real world. It really could have saved me a whole lot of time had I read it before jumping into concert shoots. And he's 1000% correct, having SECURITY & the venue manager/owner on your side is key to making anything happen. And following the rules of the artist's manager/label is key to ever having the opportunity to shooting that artist again in the future.
on February 28, 2012
There are only a handful of books on this topic available on amazon, I read all of them and this one is head and shoulders above the rest.

I think the most important feature is that Hess gives you a lot of info about who to contact and how to contact them to get access to shows, which is the biggest challenge for someone getting into this field. The other books either ignored this or were kind of like "contact people, get into shows", Hess gives you a template and an idea what to say so you look professional.

other parts of the book that really stood out:

-lots of technical camera info but very accessible even to someone like me who has limited experience, I learned more about just photography in general from this book than I have from other photography books, plus you get all the concert shooting related knowledge on top of that, great value.

-lots of interviews and tips from other industry professionals, really giving you ideas about how other people work and different points of view, it gave the book different voices and allows you to gather a lot of info from different sources and different job families.

I could go on and on, but all you need to know is that if you are interested in this type of work and are reading this review, you should just buy the book, you will not be sorry.
on May 16, 2013
I'm already a band photographer but I wanted to see if there were any extra tips I could use. It's a very well written and concise book and would be especially useful for those just starting out or who are thinking of upgrading to a SLR. I'm glad to have this book in my library!
on August 20, 2013
Great book for people interested in capturing live shows.
Many great tips, suggestions and practical reference guide.

I only occasionally shoot concerts and this book is my mental check list a few days before the assignment.
on June 18, 2013
Enjoyed looking at this, and reading all the good information. If you're a photographer who takes photos at concerts and live events, you will definitely enjoy this book.
on March 11, 2012
All Access is an appropriate title as this book offers practical advice for all aspects of Concert photography. There is detailed technical advice on gear, settings in all possible situations, and most importantly advice on conduct in the Photo Pit.
He presents this information in a logical order in layman's terms, yet provides ample technical support information. He provides camera settings for all images supporting his text. My only complaint is that I should have purchased the paperback instead of the Kindle version for a better reproduction of his images.
A Must Have book for potential Concert photographers!
Joe Mac
on July 9, 2014
Excellent guide for those who are interested in concert photography, or like me for those who have one important opportunity and want to make the most of it.